PDA

View Full Version : Sad News Wayne Johnson

Rich Klein
12-19-2018, 03:05 PM
I hardly dealt with him but I saw this on Facebook and am posting this verbatim. Wayne was very instrumental in the Indianapolis Area being strong on cards and collecting: This is a quote from FB:

"It is with a very heavy heart that we announce the tragic death of one of our most beloved collector friends/family members today. Wayne Johnson was a friend, father figure, mentor, and well respected peer to every single one of us in this hobby. Wayne taught me a lot of what I know today regarding vintage baseball cards and he had always been a support and encouragement in the growth of our shop. Rest in Peace Wayne. You will be sorely missed by me and everyone else you have encountered in this hobby"

MK
12-19-2018, 03:40 PM
I heard this sad news earlier today. I knew Wayne as the high school baseball coach before knowing about his love of baseball cards. Just a great guy. He will be missed.

sb1
12-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Dealt with him for many years, very sorry to hear this.

cliftons8
12-19-2018, 06:21 PM
I am reading this post with a very heavy heart. Wayne was truly one of the good guys in this hobby. He has always been kind to my son, friends and myself. He was generous to a fault. Take a moment, if you will, to say a small prayer for Wayne and his family.

Rest in peace my friend,
Mike

jcc6252
12-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Yes, Wayne was a great guy. I met him a few times at local Indy shows, very sorry to hear this.

autograf
12-19-2018, 09:50 PM
Like Mike above, I’ve spent a bunch of time with Wayne and JD Heckathorn over the years. Mostly at the Chicago shows and the National. Wayne was a good, decent man who took care of his friends. He routinely grabbed a tab while none of us knew what he was doing. I was fortunate to meet his wife in Chicago and had met his son-in-law a few times at different shows. Prayers to all of them during this trying time and to his buddy JD who I’m sure has done hundreds of shows with him over the years.

ZiggerZagger
12-19-2018, 11:01 PM
This is a really tough one to take. Wayne was one of the first Dealers I met when I got into collecting vintage in earnest about 8 years ago, starting with the old Vet's Memorial show in Columbus.

He was one of the really positive and steady influences for me in the hobby, and always had a handshake and a wise word to share. Never got anything less than a fair deal and good conversation from him.
JD's Columbus Show and Strongsville won't be quite the same without him there.

rats60
12-20-2018, 05:33 AM
My first card show was Wayne Johnson and a few dealers setting up at a local hotel. I have known Wayne for almost 40 years. I bought my first t206 from him among many others, sold cards to him and set up at shows with him for years. This truly is a sad day. Wayne will be missed.

marzoumanian
12-20-2018, 07:55 AM
Stunner. Saw him many a time at the Chicago shows. What a sweet, wonderful man. Down to earth and always helpful with solid words of advice about card collecting. Former teacher, as I recall. His pupils were most fortunate. RIP and thank you for your integrity and service to the industry.

LuckyLarry
12-20-2018, 08:32 AM
Bought cards from him many times at the National. He will be missed.
Larry

CurtisFlood
12-20-2018, 09:17 AM
I first met Wayne when I set up at a couple of his hotel shows in Indianapolis. He was always a professional, but went beyond that and was kind and helpful. I've since seen him at the National, the Chicago Shows, and the Columbus shows. He is one guy that you will never hear a bad word about, if you do the person is mistaken.

It won't be the same at the shows not seeing this outstanding dealer. My condolences to his family and his great friend JD.

glynparson
12-20-2018, 10:58 AM
My sincerest condolences to JD and all his family and friends.

Tony Gordon
12-20-2018, 02:19 PM
I've known Wayne for many years. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer, more honorable, and more knowledgeable dealer. While he was a regular dealer at all the big shows in the Midwest, I was most impressed that he regularly set up at young Seth Murray's monthly show at the La Quinta in Indianapolis. He gave that show legitimacy and held court in the back of the room. I always enjoyed talking to him because I learned something new every time. Just last month, I had a nice conversation with him about 1966 Topps high numbers at the Sun-Times show in Rosemont, IL. His passing is a real loss to the hobby. My condolences to his family and friends.