PDA

View Full Version : eBay Gift Card Problems, Advice? Warning?

Hot Springs Bathers
12-16-2018, 09:44 AM
Like many of you I get eBay gift cards this time of year and on my birthday. I have used them quite easily and happily over the years. I had also been hoarding some high dollar gift cards to use use on some high dollar cards knowing that there is an eight card limit on usage.

This weekend I was set to make a purchase and decided to verify my balances on each card. Much to my surprise they all had zero balances? Knowing gift cards don't expire I called the phone number only to be told that after 24 months eBay zeros your balance "for your protection in case the card is stolen." ?????

I was told to give them the card numbers, the situation will be researched and I would have an answer in 72 hours???? I have since searched my other cards and they too are zeroed so I will call on them today. About one in five did still have good balances.

Has anyone else had this situation arise.

edjs
12-16-2018, 10:15 AM
The 2009 CARD Act prohibits gift cards from expiring before 5 years. Did you hold them longer than that?

Hot Springs Bathers
12-16-2018, 11:22 AM
No the cards were purchased between 2015-16 that are in question. I reminded the young lady on the phone of that law but it became obvious very quickly that notice of that was never issued in Mumbai or New Delhi where she was answering my call.

Snapolit1
12-16-2018, 11:33 AM
No the cards were purchased between 2015-16 that are in question. I reminded the young lady on the phone of that law but it became obvious very quickly that notice of that was never issued in Mumbai or New Delhi where she was answering my call.

I am sure ebay's response will be that they are no zeroing the card out, but merely have installed this as a safety check.

I have never seen this. Of course if I held a card that long I would of course lose it or someone would throw it away accidentally.