PDA

View Full Version : Satchel Paige Tulsa Oilers Card

odoolin747
12-13-2018, 07:50 AM
New member to Net54 who looks forward to learning more about some of the items left to me by my dad as well as items I've collected. In particular, came across both a signed and unsigned Satchel Paige Tulsa Oilers card and would like to authenticate the signature and understand the value of both the signed and unsigned card.

1952boyntoncollector
12-13-2018, 08:19 AM
A JSA certified signed one sold on ebay in October with 3 bids for $300

So would assume signed would be for less and a unsigned one $50-100 give or take.

packs
12-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Signature looks strange to me.

tedzan
12-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Here's an example of Satchel Paige's autograph for comparison.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/AutogAlbumSatchellPaige50x.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

Snapolit1
12-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Signature looks strange to me.

I have no opinion either way, as I am not a signature guy. But I always wonder when someone says a signature "doesn't look right," do people take into consideration how a signature can change over a lifetime? I doubt many 70 year olds' signatures look the way they did when they were 30. My wife was recently commenting that her signature at age 50 is very different than it was 20 years ago. People offer hot takes on signatures and I've often thought about the ravages of time (not to mention arthritis, broken bones, a stroke, etc.) will have on signatures over the course of a lifetime.

packs
12-13-2018, 12:05 PM
I thought it looks strange because there are many examples of this same signed card but I didn't think it matched up with what I've seen before. Also every example of this card would have to be signed after issue and as you can see from the photo, Paige was an old guy to begin with. He only lived another 6 years after it was issued.

Snapolit1
12-13-2018, 12:15 PM
I thought it looks strange because there are many examples of this same signed card but I didn't think it matched up with what I've seen before. Also every example of this card would have to be signed after issue and as you can see from the photo, Paige was an old guy to begin with. He only lived another 6 years after it was issued.

That all makes sense. Was just wondering as a general proposition if there is a general bias that signatures don't materially change over a lifetime.

rdwyer
12-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Here's my Satchel Paige auto. Just sent to PSA. Fingers crossed.

rhettyeakley
12-13-2018, 12:31 PM
For those that collect Minor League team sets this is one of the most famous sets of the 1970’s. It included a signed Satchel Paige and a signed Paul “Daffy” Dean card along with a full set of cards of the Tulsa Oilers team that were unsigned. I have a set at home and every set I have seen that is authentic had them signed before distribution and both Dean and Paige signed with a blue sharpie/felt tip. I will have recheck my full set when I get home but I have never seen one of the Paige cards signed in the way yours was. That isn’t to say somebody couldn’t have had an unsigned card signed by Paige. I am always skeptical of this card when I do not see the rest of the set with it.

Al C.risafulli
12-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Rhett is absolutely right - the Paige and Dean cards were signed. They're actually rare to find UNSIGNED. Every signature I've seen has been felt tip.

I'm less concerned than Rhett when I see the card alone without the rest of the set, because after all this time, a lot of the Paige cards have been separated from their (relatively worthless) set, and sold individually. But the card is plentiful enough that I'd avoid this one.

-Al

Al C.risafulli
12-13-2018, 12:56 PM
By way of comparison, here's one I sold a couple of years ago that originated from a large collection in San Antonio.

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/ItemImages/000009/9227a_lg.jpeg

Rich Klein
12-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Rhett is absolutely right - the Paige and Dean cards were signed. They're actually rare to find UNSIGNED. Every signature I've seen has been felt tip.

I'm less concerned than Rhett when I see the card alone without the rest of the set, because after all this time, a lot of the Paige cards have been separated from their (relatively worthless) set, and sold individually. But the card is plentiful enough that I'd avoid this one.

-Al

At the time, and I've read enough SCD's and TTS to confirm this, the Dean and Paul cards were issued as being signed. I would wager 99 percent of them will fly through TPG's

Rich

odoolin747
12-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Thanks one and all for your insights and consideration regarding the legitimacy of the Satchel Paige signature. Given I have one unsigned card and there's the likelihood that there were other unsigned cards issued that perhaps were signed post original issue would you recommend that I have the signature authenticated, and if so, by whom would you all suggest.

Peter_Spaeth
12-14-2018, 07:06 PM
PSA pop report only lists 1, a PSA 1. Yet we just saw Al's 5, and there is an Authentic on ebay now. What the ...

Oh I see they list autos separately. Still not very many. 6 total.