PDA

View Full Version : One More Thought On Baines...

eliotdeutsch
12-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Not sure this point has been made.
But you gotta feel bad for him I think.

His HOF selection just casts his very very respectable career in an unwanted negative spotlight.

I think most people, even ballplayers would be thrilled to have a career like his. And now, he’ll never get that credit.

Such a mess.

Jasonxmay
12-11-2018, 06:21 PM
I respectfully disagree. It’s better to be the worst HOF player than the best non-HOF player. Whether it’s deserved or not being a hall of famer defines a player and ensures a legacy that will last much longer than the player would otherwise have. That’s not to mention the monetary benefit that will go along with the increased demand for his time and signature.

Jason

pokerplyr80
12-11-2018, 06:22 PM
I would guess he's pleasantly surprised he got in and couldn't care less what a few writers or espn reporters have to say. He already knows how the writers voted in years past.

Just saw Jason's post. I hadn't considered that but he should be able to earn quite a bit more signing at shows now too.

ejharrington
12-11-2018, 06:53 PM
I respectfully disagree. It’s better to be the worst HOF player than the best non-HOF player. Whether it’s deserved or not being a hall of famer defines a player and ensures a legacy that will last much longer than the player would otherwise have. That’s not to mention the monetary benefit that will go along with the increased demand for his time and signature.

Jason
+1

drcy
12-12-2018, 01:06 AM
I agree with the first poster. I'd be embarrassed if I were he. Just my opinion of course.

pclpads
12-12-2018, 01:45 AM

Jason

Concur. I think of Rabbit Maranville and his .258 lifetime BA and 28 career HR's. Wonder how Gil Hodges would think of that? Maranville - like Baines and Smith - got into the HOF on old timers votes who played with him or were friends of his. The HOF has become a pathetic joke. :(

mechanicalman
12-12-2018, 03:54 PM
I agree with the first poster. I'd be embarrassed if I were he. Just my opinion of course.

A buddy/neighbor of mine is a very close friend of Harold Baines and was invited by him to attend the induction ceremony. There was no mention of embarrassment.

VintageVinnie
12-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Harold Baines was an above average ball player who played for two decades. He amassed numbers most professional players never get close to. He was humble and solid throughout his career and a darn good hitter. He was pleasure to watch and root for. Is he a hof'er? I agree with the majority, not quite. But he certainly has nothing to be embarrassed about. I posted earlier that the hof is becoming watered down and sad. But you know what? The more I think about it, maybe good guys like Baines should be getting in instead of today's greedy, ungrateful, pay me now, .240 hitting bazillionaires who only care how far their last homerun went. Consistency, humility, production, and playing the game right should count for something. Wishful thinking, I know...