PDA

View Full Version : eBay scam alert

Baseball Fan
12-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Hey all,

Not sure where to put this, but wanted to share a quick story to make sure you also don't get scammed.

My friend bought a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams right before Thanksgiving for around $1,000. The seller sent it three or four days later and wrote a note to him on eBay to apologize for the delay and to let him know when the card arrived.

In the meantime, the seller closed his account. When the card arrived today after a week, there was a .50 cent Paul Goldschmidt inside.

The eBay seller was ajarris25. His alleged name is Adam Arris. I would give the address he used but worried it might not be his and don't want to give some innocent person's address out.

My friend is worried he's out the money. He said he filed his return claim and has to ship the item back within three days. Is there any chance he actually gets his money back, or is he just out that money considering the guy closed up shop and is gone?

Just wanted to alert you all.

rdwyer
12-03-2018, 04:59 PM
I always worried about that. Anyone could claim they sent a card, and tracking, etc. doesn't prove that. That's why I always buy from high rated sellers or people I know.

Baseball Fan
12-03-2018, 05:17 PM
I always worried about that. Anyone could claim they sent a card, and tracking, etc. doesn't prove that. That's why I always buy from high rated sellers or people I know.

I wonder if there is Pay Pal protection on this? Wouldn’t every person without morals be doing this hundreds of times per day? Maybe they are.

Scary stuff.

bnorth
12-03-2018, 05:25 PM
I wonder if there is Pay Pal protection on this? Wouldn’t every person without morals be doing this hundreds of times per day? Maybe they are.

Scary stuff.

I have always worried about this. Also worried about sending the expensive card and the buyer saying a $1 common showed up.

swarmee
12-03-2018, 05:26 PM
As long as he mails it back with tracking and it shows delivered, Ebay is on the hook for the refund.

bbsports
12-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Years ago I was to receive a 1968 PSA 8 Mickey Mantle & instead received an ungraded 1968 Mantle with rips & holes in the card. I used a postal money order instead of paypal. The postal authorities have their own lawyers handling a case like this. I received my money back & the seller went to jail. That's why I don't use paypal using f/f because you are not protected using their policy.

Baseball Fan
12-03-2018, 05:53 PM
Years ago I was to receive a 1968 PSA 8 Mickey Mantle & instead received an ungraded 1968 Mantle with rips & holes in the card. I used a postal money order instead of paypal. The postal authorities have their own lawyers handling a case like this. I received my money back & the seller went to jail. That's why I don't use paypal using f/f because you are not protected using their policy.

Makes sense. He didn’t use family/friends at least, so maybe there is hope based on what the previous poster wrote.

Peter_Spaeth
12-03-2018, 06:18 PM
Years ago, not on ebay, a friend purchased a PSA 4 1952T Mantle from a guy and the bastard sent him a PSA 5 1957T. Fortunately I was able to find the true owner of the card (the thief had used an AH scan), the local DA prosecuted, and my friend got all his money back.

rdwyer
12-03-2018, 06:47 PM
swarmee

As long as he mails it back with tracking and it shows delivered, Ebay is on the hook for the refund..

Tracking doesn't show what was actually sent. If he sent a $1 card, eBay would pay? Let's all send out $1 cards with tracking,and put eBay outta business. :)

Baseball Fan
12-03-2018, 07:12 PM
The Williams card listed was also sold via eBay on 9/10/18.

My friend has contacted that seller to see if he has any info on where that card was shipped, etc. Granted, it could be the same guy with another scam account.

But this one has 619 feedback, all positive, so hopefully not.

murphy8276
12-04-2018, 09:54 AM
I don't think your friend has anything to worry about other than time involved in waiting. Ebay already said to ship it back. Literally they will refund him once tracking shows delivered. If the address listed also is not real, ebay will refund when you point it out. In the worst scenario, they would ask you to file a police report for the fraudulent package if shipped empty, but if you chose not as described, I believe you are as good as gold.

I wouldn't sweat this one more second. Simply call ebay once tracking has showed as delivered and they will instantly refund.

Baseball Fan
12-04-2018, 10:20 AM
I don't think your friend has anything to worry about other than time involved in waiting. Ebay already said to ship it back. Literally they will refund him once tracking shows delivered. If the address listed also is not real, ebay will refund when you point it out. In the worst scenario, they would ask you to file a police report for the fraudulent package if shipped empty, but if you chose not as described, I believe you are as good as gold.

I wouldn't sweat this one more second. Simply call ebay once tracking has showed as delivered and they will instantly refund.

Cool. I will let him know. Thanks.