PDA

View Full Version : Where did they get these images? (W555)

Webster
11-26-2018, 12:01 PM
Can anyone identify the source (or other uses) of these images for the W555 set? These are the three know cards that are not sourced from E93, E94, E97 or E98. (Hoping to get some insight into the sequencing for the various groups of cards.)

Shano Collins/Mike Mowrey/Fred Snodgrass:

familytoad
11-26-2018, 09:57 PM
Mowrey is the same as his e96 card.
I’m pretty certain I have seen the original photo of the pose before too.
The other two aren’t from sets I have collected so I can’t help there.

Webster
11-27-2018, 11:15 AM
Very much appreciate the reply - unfortunately, Mowrey's W555 image is different than the E96. In the W555, he is full profile and sporting a pronounced collar on his shirt; the E96 image has no collar, and head turned toward the camera slightly.

It's really quite strange that these images not only fall outside of the four noted sets that comprise most of W555, but the images are so difficult to find anywhere.

caramelcard
11-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Hi,

Lyman (Old Cardboard) wrote an article on W555 and the connection to the candy sets a while back. I helped out a bit, but he is the real expert on this set. Though my memory is foggy, I looked over my notes and I believe that (like you) we couldn't find any source photos for those 3. Also interesting is that those 3 players are very tough to find in the W555 set.

I would assume that the same "pool" of source photos were available to different candy makers in the Northeast region during the early 20th century. For the most part, they chose the most popular players. Those 3 obviously weren't chosen for the 4 candy sets for some reason.

Good luck with your research.

Rob

Howe’s Hunter
11-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Good to see you on board again.

Leon
11-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Eventually I would still like to have one of the full candy boxes these were made from. Not sure where the images came from except what has been pointed out. Good stuff...

frankbmd
11-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Snodgrass was a catcher in only 6 games for 23 innings all early in his career from 1908-10.

3 games in 1908

2 games in 1909

1 game in 1910

He also caught a lot of grief for dropping a fly ball in the 1912 World Series I believe.:D

Webster
11-30-2018, 02:21 PM
Eventually I would still like to have one of the full candy boxes these were made from. Not sure where the images came from except what has been pointed out. Good stuff...

Leon - here it is. Assume you mean you would like to OWN one - rather than just SEE one!

I find it interesting that all 4 players here are E97-only subjects (as noted on prior threads covering the topic), whereas all images found in the Advertisement that surfaced several years ago are images from the E98 set. Leads me to surmise that there may have been several "issues": the first keying off the E98 set, the second off the E97 set, and the third - and very scarce group - keying off the E94 set.

Leon
12-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Yes, owning is a little better than viewing. I had a chance on a box, twice, but neither came to fruition. Neat ancillary item too.

Leon - here it is. Assume you mean you would like to OWN one - rather than just SEE one!

I find it interesting that all 4 players here are E97-only subjects (as noted on prior threads covering the topic), whereas all images found in the Advertisement that surfaced several years ago are images from the E98 set. Leads me to surmise that there may have been several "issues": the first keying off the E98 set, the second off the E97 set, and the third - and very scarce group - keying off the E94 set.

chlankf
12-08-2018, 05:09 AM

Webster, can you post a picture of the back?
Thanks
Craig

Webster
12-08-2018, 06:03 AM
Not mine - offered in a Maestro Auction years ago. I believe/assume the back is all blank cardboard. (Like the cards). Some years ago, a member posted a mock-up of how the uncut box was folded to form a the small box seen in the advertisement which presumably contained the candy.

Where did they get those three images?

Leon
12-12-2018, 02:43 PM
If that is the Mastro one, I was the underbidder on it. I think it went for around 20k-25k, if I remember correctly. It was just me and one other guy who ran it up from around 12k. It was a live auction at the National. Glad I didn't win it now though it's a great item.

Not mine - offered in a Maestro Auction years ago. I believe/assume the back is all blank cardboard. (Like the cards). Some years ago, a member posted a mock-up of how the uncut box was folded to form a the small box seen in the advertisement which presumably contained the candy.

Where did they get those three images?