PDA

View Full Version : Spots & Chains

frankbmd
11-22-2018, 11:40 AM
The high tech use of chains to determine first downs seems to be fading.

It seems that when a tackle is made within (pick a number) inches of a first down, the ball is spotted favorably and the first down is signaled. Rarely is the ball spotted in the 3-6 inch range.

I do not know if statistics are kept, but it seems like measured first downs with chains are getting rarer.

Peter_Spaeth
11-25-2018, 03:10 PM
I would think with all the GPS and wireless technology this could be determined remotely without needing the chains at all.

frankbmd
11-25-2018, 05:53 PM
I would think with all the GPS and wireless technology this could be determined remotely without needing the chains at all.

Exactly, and probably a case could be made for calling ball and strikes as well.

stlcardsfan
11-25-2018, 07:55 PM
I worked the “chain gang” at a NAIA college football game last year. Having never done that before, it was a really cool experience. However, it was very eye opening how unprecise the process is. I would think with the technology of today it could make the chains obsolete.

pokerplyr80
11-26-2018, 10:57 PM
Its even better when the ref folds an index card in half and sees if it fits between the ball and the end of the chain to determine if it's a first down or not.