PDA

View Full Version : I need help detecting photo-shopped photos

The-Cardfather
11-21-2018, 02:14 PM
I just purchased a relatively inexpensive card on eBay.

The photo (scan) associated with the eBay listing depicts a very mint/pristine card. However, I received the card in today's mail and I immediately noticed a mark on the card (probably formed during the printing process). Knowing that I wouldn't have purchased this card if I had noticed the mark before, I checked the photo on the eBay listing and lo and behold - no mark!

The card is a limited edition serial numbered card, so it can't be that the card was switched with another one.

I'm reasonably sure that the eBay scan was photo-shopped, but even when I zoom-in; I can't detect it.

Does anyone know a fool-proof method of detecting if a photo/scan has been photo-shopped?

(I don't want to accuse the seller of any wrong-doing, unless I am 100% certain of it.)

doug.goodman
11-21-2018, 02:26 PM
I received the card ... and I immediately noticed a mark on the card ... I checked the photo on the eBay listing and lo and behold - no mark!

(I don't want to accuse the seller of any wrong-doing, unless I am 100% certain of it.)

Mark on card, no mark on ebay picture, sounds like pretty obvious "wrong-doing" to me.

Return it.

Doug

JollyElm
11-21-2018, 05:57 PM
There's a 'clone' tool in photoshop that helps you (ridiculously) easily 'eliminate' anything in an image without leaving any telltale signs. And you don't have to be any sort of expert to use it. 'Normal' people employ it to rid an image of things like dust specks, etc., that aren't a part of the actual card. Nefarious d-bags use it to screw people over.

The-Cardfather
11-22-2018, 11:59 PM
Thanks Darren. I didn't know that.

What I find really strange about this is that the seller has been an eBay member for 3 years, and has a 100% positive feedback rating (276).

jason.1969
11-23-2018, 06:21 AM
There is a seller--forgot the exact name but something like battlefield--that seems to specialize in this. Definitely a seller to he avoided.

Thanks,
Jason Schwartz
Western Springs, IL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk