PDA

View Full Version : silver coins w/ Ruth, Cobb etc....

mullings
11-15-2018, 09:11 AM
I got these many years ago, 1 ounce .999 pure silver, issued in 1992. Are they worth anything other than silver value. Thanks

Hankphenom
11-15-2018, 09:31 AM
I would say yes, but not much, a few dollars more. You don't see them often, but those and the many other baseball coins issued over the years are in the category once described to me by a dealer as "rare and undesirable." I don't know why, I think they're cool, maybe just too recent.

Leon
11-15-2018, 09:35 AM
Hanks (hey Hank) guess is better than mine. The thread was moved back to the front page as the subjects are certainly pre-war. The title was changed to reflect it too.

tschock
11-15-2018, 10:42 AM
Not to hijack, but since it's coins and baseball. Did anyone pick up the curved baseball coin put out by the US Mint about 4 years ago? I got a couple but I'm into the oddball stuff.

Hankphenom
11-15-2018, 06:24 PM
I have a little collection of four or five different silver coins of Walter issued in the 1970s and 80s in the original packaging. You never see the coins by themselves, even, much less the packaging, in fact I think all of those I have like that are the only ones I've ever seen, which has always struck me as bizarre. I didn't pay anything for them, I think basically the silver value in all cases. From doing the business for the WaJo estate for the last 30 years and also being a dealer for almost that long, I can attest to the fact that there is an entire parallel universe of sports memorabilia that rarely intersects with ours and in which several dozen WaJo items have been produced and issued--and for which I have received a sample from our agent--but that I have NEVER seen a single example of on the open market, which I have always scoured regularly for WaJo things. Not on eBay, not at shows, not in auctions, nada, nowhere to be seen. It's always been a mystery to me how these things are marketed and sold, and why so few of them have ever made it to any secondary market that I'm aware of. At one time I had a WaJo version of the coins pictured in this thread, but I think I busted it out of the package to put in my Riker mount display of coins and buttons, but sold it somewhere along the line, maybe when silver hit $40 an ounce several years ago. I wouldn't mind getting another one to go with my collection of WaJo silver coins in the original packaging, but will probably never come across one, the way these things seem to go.