PDA

View Full Version : The art of Deadball card design - a Home Run Baker exemplar

T206Jim
11-13-2018, 06:55 PM
I recently acquired this mounted photo of Home Run Baker.

It is the image used on the M113 and Polo Grounds sets at the least.

334119 334118

The M113, in the small print at bottom right, notes it is by the International News Service. Indeed when I peeled the photo away there is a stamp for the International News Service that Henry Yee's book dates to 1909 to mid 1910s which is squarely where it should be, thus a Type 1 photo.

334121 334122

But even more interesting is the handwritten note on back of the photo, "If this will make a supplement go ahead and cut out background". I think this is the actual photograph that was used to create the M113 and later the Polo Grounds card. The applied dark masking on the photo matches the background from the cards that has been "cut out". Fascinating to see how the photo was mounted to the board and then the masking was applied almost in a sprayed on manner to create the image we know from our cards.

I had originally considered cleaning the photo, but upon having it in hand I think it just fine the way it is with the story it tells intact.

Exhibitman
11-14-2018, 11:42 AM
I'd leave it intact: if it is the original art for a baseball card issue or two, it is worth more than it would be as a cleaned vintage photo of Baker in the same pose as the cards: way more crossover appeal.

CW
11-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Yet another cool discovery, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Your ability to investigate and research these pieces not only adds to your enjoyment of the hobby, but ours as well.