PDA

View Full Version : Who is this old-timer?

earlywynnfan
11-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Just got a nice multi-signed ball, some great old sigs, but can't figure out this one. Anybody know?

Thanks, Ken

earlywynnfan
11-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Sorry, the one above Monty Stratton.

Bpm0014
11-13-2018, 01:16 PM
PS Murphy

earlywynnfan
11-13-2018, 01:34 PM
who is that?

Chris Counts
11-16-2018, 02:39 PM
I looked up Stratton's career, and I didn't see any Murphys that he played with in the majors or minors. It may not be a player. What other signatures are on the ball? That could give us a team and year.

Steve D
11-16-2018, 06:26 PM
I also looked at the credits listing for The Monty Stratton Story, starring Jimmy Stewart, and there were no "Murphy"'s listed.

Steve

bgar3
11-16-2018, 07:33 PM
The Audie Murphy museum has Monty Stratton’s artificial leg, and both from Texas.
Possible?

clydepepper
11-16-2018, 07:36 PM
Jimmy Stewart played Stratton in the movie, 'The Stratton Story'.

prewarsports
11-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Looks like a scarce Luis Marquez signature but not sure why the first name looks funky. He signed "L. Marquez" and it looks really close but might just be a rushed ballpark example with a weird start.

earlywynnfan
11-22-2018, 06:34 PM
Sorry I've been non-existent in my own thread, work has been all-encompassing recently.

Not sure if I'm seeing Marquez or Audie Murphy, sorry. Here are the others on the ball:
Monty Stratton
Art Shires
Wally Pipp
Ed Walsh
Mike Kreevich
Joe Dugan
Willie Kamm
Earl Combs
Muddey Ruel
Wilcy Moore
Ray Schalk
Red Faber

ThomasL
01-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Not much help but I would say this is obviously a Chicago Old-Timers Day signed ball...I will do some digging as I am trying to look for a similar baseball that sold on Pawn Stars...

ThomasL
01-17-2019, 08:02 AM
Dont know why but I went down the rabbit hole trying to research this. Was able to find that Yankees and White Sox shared old timers days in 1955 and 56 but only found partial lists of attendees for both. There was a solid old timers organization I believed based out of Chicago dating back to 1919 and they held dinners usually in February. Did find a great little article about an old timers game in Chicago in July 24, 1944 that raised $721,000 in war bonds! Schalk, Faber, and Benz were all buddies and attended a lot of these old timers games.

I looked at the all time players lists for both the White Sox and Yankees looking for last names that ended in "z", "y", "g" that were preceded by a "l" or 'b". IMO the last letter is a z which should narrow it down big time, but could be a y or g. I had no luck, a handful of good possibilities, but comparing autographs was obviously not them. (Ed Murphy, Web Schultz)

Im no signature expert, but could it possibly be umpire Red Ormsby (E. T Ormsby) rushed signature? He umpired a lot of the old timers games.

Possibilities could go into mayors, city council members, umpires, other celebrities as I found articles mentioning all these variations in attendance at these games.

Anyway not much help. but I tried (I do have an email out to someone who might have rosters of all the Chicago old-timers games to maybe see if there was a year with all those guys in attendance)