PDA

View Full Version : 1916 Zeenut- Jimmy Claxton: First US Pro African American Baseball Card

Rhotchkiss
11-12-2018, 07:58 AM
I recently "won" (i.e., paid a fortune for) in REA, the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton pictured below. Over the past few weeks I have shown it to people -- collectors and non-collectors alike -- and very few people knew what it is and/or who Jimmy Claxton was. I must admit, until about 2 months ago I too had no idea who Jimmy Claxton was or why the card is so special. However, after being tipped-off to the card in September, I did some research and was totally blown away by the importance of, and the story behind, this card; not to mention its rarity (SGC shows 6 graded and PSA shows 1 graded). It really is incredible -- the coincidences and events that had to converge to make the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton the first African American on a pro baseball card.

Here is a link to a great article that tells the story. I think it is a story that board members would appreciate and enjoy.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/claxton-created-an-accidental-legacy/c-8100362

markf31
11-12-2018, 08:24 AM
I think technically Jimmy Claxton was the first African American on a US issued pro baseball card. However I do believe that Pete Hill and Bruce Petway, both African Americans, appear in the 1909 Cabanas and 1910 Punch Cigarros issues from Cuba. This should not distract from the importance of Claxton being the first African American to appear on a US issues card, its a pretty great story.

silvor
11-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Cool card.

Wiki says Jimmy was of mixed race, born to Americans in Canada. He claimed to be part native American to keep playing baseball.

bbcard1
11-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Cool card.

Wiki says Jimmy was of mixed race, born to Americans in Canada. He claimed to be part native American to keep playing baseball.

Great card. I let go the goal of owning one when the prices escalated.

Fred
11-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Treadway - N172, interesting (sad) story

oldjudge
11-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Moses Fleetwood Walker was the first African American on a card. Treadway may have been next; I'm not sure if we know his race with certainty.

pherbener
11-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Great story Ryan, I only read about him after seeing how high the price was getting in REA. Congrats an a very cool pickup!!

aljurgela
11-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Moses Fleetwood Walker was the first African American on a card. Treadway may have been next; I'm not sure if we know his race with certainty.

Can you please share this card? Thanks.

baseballart
11-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Ty Phelan has written a Jimmy Claxton bio

https://www.amazon.com/Darkhorse-Jimmy-Claxton-Ty-Phelan-ebook/dp/B01AR5A10G

aljurgela
11-12-2018, 10:24 AM
I recently "won" (i.e., paid a fortune for) in REA, the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton pictured below. Over the past few weeks I have shown it to people -- collectors and non-collectors alike -- and very few people knew what it is and/or who Jimmy Claxton was. I must admit, until about 2 months ago I too had no idea who Jimmy Claxton was or why the card is so special. However, after being tipped-off to the card in September, I did some research and was totally blown away by the importance of, and the story behind, this card; not to mention its rarity (SGC shows 6 graded and PSA shows 1 graded). It really is incredible -- the coincidences and events that had to converge to make the 1916 Zeenut Jimmy Claxton the first African American on a pro baseball card.

Here is a link to a great article that tells the story. I think it is a story that board members would appreciate and enjoy.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/claxton-created-an-accidental-legacy/c-8100362

That went for a big number! Congrats... super underappreciated card. When one went for $5k a few years ago at Hake's I was shocked, but I am glad to see the market appreciating the story and importance (of player and card).

Here are a few of the other Pete Hill cards mentioned (that predate the Claxton - but are issued overseas in Cuba)... but there are other (Lloyd, Petway, etc.).

Rhotchkiss
11-12-2018, 10:38 AM
I think technically Jimmy Claxton was the first African American on a US issued pro baseball card. However I do believe that Pete Hill and Bruce Petway, both African Americans, appear in the 1909 Cabanas and 1910 Punch Cigarros issues from Cuba. This should not distract from the importance of Claxton being the first African American to appear on a US issues card, its a pretty great story.

Right, first Pro, US baseball card. I am sure there are numerous African American cards that predate 1916, several of which have been pointed out on this thread.

oldjudge
11-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Both Walker and Treadway were US pros. Walker played in the major leagues, Claxton did not.

Rhotchkiss
11-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Both Walker and Treadway were US pros. Walker played in the major leagues, Claxton did not.

According to the article I posted:

"But the most intriguing and historically significant Zeenut baseball card was produced in 1916. It featured 23-year-old Oakland Oaks pitcher Jimmy Claxton, the first black player ever to receive such an honor.

The last was the first

Claxton was not only the first black player on a baseball card, he was the last to appear in organized baseball until Jackie Robinson's epochal 1946 debut with the International League's Montreal Royals."

And REA's description states:

"Pitcher Jimmy Claxton's color robbed him of a career as a professional ballplayer, but he was immortalized on this Zeenut Candy card issued in 1916. This card is of great historical significance as it is the very first American-issued baseball card featuring a black ballplayer. Claxton was Canadian born, and of African-American and Indian descent. For a single brief week in 1916 he joined the roster of the Oakland Oaks of the Pacific Coast League, but complaints by both fans and players resulted in his quick release. By chance, the week Claxton was with the Oaks was also the very week the Zeenut photographer stopped by for pictures, resulting in the issuing of this extremely rare and important card"

So I dont know what the technical description is, but its a cool card that is generally regarded as having historical and cultural significance. If anyone wants a better description (or rather a more accurate description), I guess I will send them to "oldjudge" on Net54 for guidance, rather than forward the article or other available descriptions.

BLongley
11-12-2018, 12:23 PM
That is an amazing card to own Ryan. Enjoy it!

brianp-beme
11-12-2018, 12:24 PM
So I dont know what the technical description is, but its a cool card that is generally regarded as having historical and cultural significance.

It is also one of the 1916 Zeenut cards that forever ensures it will be impossible for me to finish the set. Congrats on the pickup!

Brian

oldjudge
11-12-2018, 12:31 PM
From REA: https://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2017/fall/125/1888-syracuse-stars-base-ball-club-team-cabinet-card-moses-fleetwood-walker/

This card was not from Walker’s major league career, but there are such cards known. As for Treadway, it is believed that he was black, but it has not been proved. Treadway is in the Old Judge set. His card is a professional one, not a major league card. The Claxton is a neat card though.

btcarfagno
11-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Ty Phelan has written a Jimmy Claxton bio

https://www.amazon.com/Darkhorse-Jimmy-Claxton-Ty-Phelan-ebook/dp/B01AR5A10G

Indeed. I highly recommend it as the story goes well beyond his few weeks in the PCL. Mr. Phelan did a great job with tons of research

Jason19th
11-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Bill James does a great job of blowing up the myth that treadway - who did have a dark complex but never claimed or has been shown to have mixed race heritage- was thrown out of the league for being black. He just wasn’t very good he was a way under average batter for the time and just didn’t stick

rsst206
11-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Hi Ryan,
Most Zeenut collectors do not have there cards graded. So the pop reports from the grading companies could be miss leading.
Out of my 3500 different less than 50 are graded. Those are ones with Tabs that i purchased over the years and left them in there tombs.
br
Ron

benchod
11-12-2018, 07:19 PM
That went for a big number! Congrats... super underappreciated card. When one went for $5k a few years ago at Hake's I was shocked, but I am glad to see the market appreciating the story and importance (of player and card).

Here are a few of the other Pete Hill cards mentioned (that predate the Claxton - but are issued overseas in Cuba)... but there are other (Lloyd, Petway, etc.).

Amazing cards, Al

aljurgela
11-13-2018, 09:12 AM
As are the Claxton cards.... they are amazing...