PDA

View Full Version : What are some favorite autographed pieces in your collection?

CooperstownExpert
11-10-2018, 04:13 PM
Some autographs just speak to us even if they're not the most expensive pieces in a collection. Bill Buckner (http://www.cooperstownexpert.com/player/bill-buckner/) homered in the first MLB game I ever attended. The crowd went crazy and for a young boy that was enough to make him my favorite player. Here's the first professional contract Buckner signed as an 18-year old. It's not the most valuable or flashiest piece in my collection, but I sure do like it. What are some pieces in your collection that you really like?

I've also posted autographs of Cy Young, Honus Wagner, and Bill Dahlen.

PS - Buckner has a page (http://www.cooperstownexpert.com/player/bill-buckner/) on my website CoopertsownExpert.com (http://www.cooperstownexpert.com/) with some pretty cool stuff - that first contract, his first Topps contract, five Topps extensions, his last payroll check as a pro player, his first passport, and other stuff. Kind of fun. Every HoFer has a page on the site and many other non-HoFers. If you have a favorite guy, he's probably on the site. Visit the site by clicking here (http://www.cooperstownexpert.com/).

Eager to see some cool pieces from everyone.

commishbob
11-10-2018, 05:02 PM

In 1969 I went with a buddy, also an Orioles fan, to see the O's play at Yankee Stadium on a mid-week afternoon. We'd decided that we'd make a couple of banners to support our club. We set to work dividing an old bed sheet and, with orange paint and a marker, we each created a work of art. His was the number '5' for Brooks Robinson. Mine was a '20' in orange with 'RF' added on.
We missed the Orioles' batting practice session but we hung out near the third base dugout in hopes the players would see our signs when they warmed up. Then a batboy approached me and asked if I would like him to take my banner to Frank in the clubhouse and show it to him. I said 'Sure' and handed it to him not knowing if I'd see it again. Moments later here comes my banner up the dugout steps being carried by Frank Robinson himself. He asked whose it was and brought it over to me and thanked me for bringing it. He asked for my pen and signed it right in the middle of the '0'. 49 years later I still have it. It's discolored and been stained a bit along the way, the orange color had darkened to a pinkish red and the autograph has faded some. But that banner still means more to me than any piece of memorabilia I own.

CooperstownExpert
11-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Very cool, Bob! Seems like we all hope for that kind of experience at some point. Neat baseball story!!

clydepepper
11-10-2018, 06:15 PM
A BABE, a Print & a Painting:

w7imel
11-10-2018, 07:18 PM
I always enjoy my Tim Tebow autograph corner. The football in the middle was purchased directly from the Denver Broncos and it is a game ball from his first game he played in. I later had him sign it at a signing event. I really enjoy my Tebow corner for sure. He may have not panned out in the Pros but he was one of the most exciting college QB ever to play...Tebow Saturday was a party atmosphere at my house every game day!!!!

jgmp123
11-12-2018, 12:25 PM
These have got to be my 3 favorites....

Babe Ruth Signed Album Page - (dated to 1935)
Honus Wagner Check from his last playing season - (1917)
Ty Cobb Handwritten Letter - (1959)

T206Collector
11-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Fred Snodgrass, letter to hobby pioneer John Wagner, including "Cigarette Photo card with my autograph" and other great content -- a shout out to Pearl Harbor on Veteran's Day!

jerseygary
11-12-2018, 03:19 PM
A vintage Van Lingle Mungo fountain pen signature compliments the beautiful art deco portrait on his Diamond Star card:

And I was pleasantly surprised when I received a used copy of the 1941 Who's Who and found that it may have belonged to Pirates ace Max Butcher who marked the cover "Prop of Max Butcher." I looked at versions of Butcher's signature and it looks pretty good to my untrained eye. Max must have studied up on the hitters in his Who's Who because he won a career-high 17 games in '41.

Runscott
11-13-2018, 01:56 PM
I always enjoy my Tim Tebow autograph corner. The football in the middle was purchased directly from the Denver Broncos and it is a game ball from his first game he played in. I later had him sign it at a signing event. I really enjoy my Tebow corner for sure. He may have not panned out in the Pros but he was one of the most exciting college QB ever to play...Tebow Saturday was a party atmosphere at my house every game day!!!!

Way to go Mike!

w7imel
11-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Way to go Mike!

Thanks Scott..thats always been an important factor to my collecting is displayability. is that a word? haha:D:D

Runscott
11-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Thanks Scott..thats always been an important factor to my collecting is displayability. is that a word? haha:D:D

I like that you collect stuff of a favorite player and stick with it. I collect James Paxton and Mike Zunino, even though, as a sometimes-reseller, it often feels stupid.