PDA

View Full Version : Who’s your favorite - with a twist

Jcfowler6
11-09-2018, 11:25 AM
I love the Pirates. Nearly all of my favorite players come from my favorite team. I had to ask myself “who’s my favorite non-Pirate player?”

It would be easy to pick the obvious. You can go wrong with Ruth or someone like Cal Ripken. Or you could go for players that did stuff that you liked like Billy Sunday or Rick Monday.

If I was to pick one though I think Lou Gehrig would be my pick. My dads favorite player, and a great player at that. He was the “Iron Horse”. And he is desirable for hobbyists. And the speech “Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth...”.

Who’s yours and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dabigyankeeman
12-12-2018, 08:51 AM
As a monster Yankees fan, yes my favorites are basically Yankees.

My favorite non Yankee player was Giancarlo Stanton but now he is a Yankee.

Going back to retired players, I guess my fav non Yankee would be a tie between Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax and Nolan Ryan.

As to current guys who are playing now, Bartolo Colon is to me the most fun player to watch, love the guy, and also love Mike Trout who is not only a great talent but seems like a really good guy too.

Jim65
12-12-2018, 09:04 AM
My favorite non-Mets player growing up was Johnny Briggs as he was from my hometown of Paterson, NJ.

commishbob
12-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Favorite non-Oriole players are both pitchers, one modern and one from the games early days. Billy Pierce pitched in the first game I saw in person. He started for the White Sox in a doubleheader in 1960 at Yankee Stadium. Not sure why he jumped out at me as a player but I remember being excited to pull his cards from that point on. I’ve built a nice collection around him and was lucky enough to corespond with him before he passed in 2015.

The other is Charles ‘Chief’ Bender. I read a copy of his bio and was struck by how he was self made, so very accomplished. I developed a great admiration for him through the years.

AGuinness
12-12-2018, 09:37 AM
Grew up a Red Sox fan. But my favorite player was Bo Jackson, hands down. Not sure I've had as much fun watching anyone else play sports.

mq711
12-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Giants fan with a favorite Giants player from every baseball generation. My favorite non-Giants player is Dale Murphy. He played for the Richmond Braves in the mid-70s and went to a bunch of their games and thought he was just an all around great player and person, only non-Giants player that I PC. In fact I won't go to Cooperstown until Dale gets voted in (Baines over Murphy, you gotta be kidding), I will make an exception when/if Will Clark or Buster Posey make it.

Steve D
12-12-2018, 02:16 PM
My favorite non-Padre has always been Nolan Ryan.

Steve

steve B
12-17-2018, 10:31 AM
So many really great choices... Really, there's a bunch of players I really liked as players, it's just too hard to pick one.

A couple I liked for odd reasons.

Dave Kingman - The huge home runs of course, combined with the odd almost inability to hit anything else. I always wanted the Red Sox to sign him. How many of those massive pop flies would have been homers in Fenway? I think we'd all be talking about how the steroid guys almost beat his season HR record.

Bob Montgomery - Saw one interview and became a fan. He seemed so happy and relaxed. (Some will say complacent, not a great thing for a pro sports figure)
"Do you feel bad as a backup when you could start on a lot of other teams?"
"Are you kidding me? I get to watch some great games, play catch with my pitcher friends and once in a while I get to actually be a major league ballplayer! " (whenever Fisk got hurt)

Then there's Feller and Brooks Robinson, I had some neat interactions with each as a kid, so they're pretty far up the list.