PDA

View Full Version : SGC new holders, Heritage

Snapolit1
11-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Looking through the most recent Heritage catalog I was struck by home many hundreds of cards are all of a sudden in new SGC holders. Funny how a major auction house can seemingly get 1000 or more cars graded so quickly, while shlubs like me seeming wait for ever or have to pay silly premiums for rush service for a few cards. I guess there are customers and then there are Customers.

I am probably in the minority as I actually like how they look.

Peter_Spaeth
11-04-2018, 11:15 AM
All customers are equal. Some are more equal than others.

Luke
11-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Is this really that fast though? I saw some of the new holders at the National, and I got my first submission of the new labels back about 3 weeks ago.

RedsFan1941
11-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Is this really that fast though? I saw some of the new holders at the National, and I got my first submission of the new labels back about 3 weeks ago.

your facts are not welcome here :)

Snapolit1
11-04-2018, 11:40 AM

There were showing them at the National but I thought they hadnt been officially rolled out yet.

And presumably a catalog like there has to be at the printer months before it goes out to anyone. A tremendous amount of work I am sure.

RedsFan1941
11-04-2018, 12:01 PM
And presumably a catalog like there has to be at the printer months before it goes out to anyone.

weeks, not months

oldjudge
11-04-2018, 02:05 PM
There were showing them at the National but I thought they hadnt been officially rolled out yet.

And presumably a catalog like there has to be at the printer months before it goes out to anyone. A tremendous amount of work I am sure.

You need to check your facts before you start typing. Heritage has their own in house printing operation so they get catalogs made more quickly than others.

Andrew1975
11-04-2018, 02:47 PM

I submitted cards to SGC at the National and received them back slabbed with the new label before the end of the show.

Lorewalker
11-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Looking through the most recent Heritage catalog I was struck by home many hundreds of cards are all of a sudden in new SGC holders. Funny how a major auction house can seemingly get 1000 or more cars graded so quickly, while shlubs like me seeming wait for ever or have to pay silly premiums for rush service for a few cards. I guess there are customers and then there are Customers.

I am probably in the minority as I actually like how they look.

I feel your pain but we have no idea when HA submitted all of those cards to SGC. Also HA does a great deal of business with them. I think they are entitled to being taken care of for deadline purposes as long as the little guys, like us, are not having our orders pushed back.

PSA does the same thing. They give expedited service to big submitters as well as huge price breaks. Min price per card for the avg submitter is now $8 or $10 making it no longer not effective to submit commons however the higher volume guys are paying as low as $3 or $4 per card.

silvor
11-05-2018, 07:04 AM

+1

I submitted to SGC right after National. The whole turnaround was less than 10 days and that included shipping back and forth.

Orioles1954
11-05-2018, 07:23 AM
weeks, not months

Not even weeks. Trust me.

bobbyw8469
11-05-2018, 07:48 AM
I feel your pain but we have no idea when HA submitted all of those cards to SGC. Also HA does a great deal of business with them. I think they are entitled to being taken care of for deadline purposes as long as the little guys, like us, are not having our orders pushed back.

PSA does the same thing. They give expedited service to big submitters as well as huge price breaks. Min price per card for the avg submitter is now $8 or $10 making it no longer not effective to submit commons however the higher volume guys are paying as low as $3 or $4 per card.

I don't know what defines a "big sumbitted"...we have a $3,000+ group sub and weren't given any special treatment.

bbcard1
11-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Looking through the most recent Heritage catalog I was struck by home many hundreds of cards are all of a sudden in new SGC holders. Funny how a major auction house can seemingly get 1000 or more cars graded so quickly, while shlubs like me seeming wait for ever or have to pay silly premiums for rush service for a few cards.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but grading is now and forever has been a rigged game.

1952boyntoncollector
11-05-2018, 08:12 AM
if SGC said that due to new higher standards they would not just take the old grades and give rubber stamp the new holders with the same grade andthta they would have to 're-earn' the grade, i think that would send a good message as far as re-sale..

maybe they are doing that, correct me if i am wrong but assumed they do what PSA does..

RedsFan1941
11-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Not even weeks. Trust me.

all catalogs are not created equal

Lorewalker
11-05-2018, 12:08 PM
I don't know what defines a "big sumbitted"...we have a $3,000+ group sub and weren't given any special treatment.

That is pocket change in the world of grading. I was referencing dealers who consistently send in very large submissions month after month. A one time 3K submission is not gonna get any eyes on you. Maybe if you did that 2 times a month consistently you could cut yourself a deal.

ls7plus
11-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised that there is such an apparent demand for the new holders. Maybe it's just me, but I think they are butt-ugly! I haven't handled any, but hopefully they are sturdier than the older ones.

To each his own (makes for a broader market),

Larry

Vintageclout
11-10-2018, 04:38 AM
You need to check your facts before you start typing. Heritage has their own in house printing operation so they get catalogs made more quickly than others.

Even if Heritage didn’t have their own in-house printing, at most, a catalog needs no more than one month lead time for printing. Having worked for two major auction houses in the past decade, this is not an estimate but a fact.

BruceinGa
11-10-2018, 05:04 AM
I submitted a small number of cards to SGC a couple of months ago and was surprised to receive them in about 5 weeks. :) Not even close to my wait with PSA.
I'm another that likes the SGC flip.

ruth_rookie
11-10-2018, 05:40 AM

$3-$4 would be very nice. I called PSA a couple of years ago to inquire about a possible discount for my 587-card 1961 Topps set. Was told PSA doesn't discount, so I didn't submit. I wasn't about to pay $5k for grading a $5k set. Can anyone actually confirm they've received a discount from PSA, or is this speculation?