PDA

View Full Version : Ebay relisting suggestion for overpriced BIN cards

obcjoe
11-03-2018, 08:03 AM
If I could change one thing of many things about ebay, I would make it a rule that if a seller relists a BIN card that it most be 10% lower in price and after a few re-listings the cards would finally sell and stop clogging up my searches!!

And yes, I know how to remove certain dealers from searches, but that list is getting pretty big and frankly a pain.

Just venting!

egbeachley
11-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Then they just list it as new.

eBay needs to charge 10 cents per listing.

Rich Falvo
11-03-2018, 09:05 AM
I'm amazed at some of the listings that keep getting renewed for a year or more without at least accepting offers. Why not try to make a sale even if you get a little less than your BIN price?

obcjoe
11-03-2018, 09:16 AM
I did not realize you could relist as new for just 10 cents, so they can keep relisting for a year and it only costs them 1.20 and at that rate their sunk cost will never match the appreciation of the cards, so I get it now. Back to my clogged searches.

SetBuilder
11-03-2018, 11:35 AM
They're waiting for Jeff Bezos to start collecting pre-war cards. :)

eBay big buck$. LOL

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 12:32 PM
Totally disagree. A lot of cheapskates on feebay and you have to wait them out with BIN's. Make cheapskates wait till they have no choice but to pay closer to true value for a card if they want it with a BIN. Feebay Auctions for sellers for the most part suck period. Many card values are hurt by the big volume sellers on feebay. To get true value, you have to wait out the cheapskates to get your price. I learned this from my Penn Economics professor..."If you are an eager seller, you are going to lose." People sell for 3 reasons and they are the three D's: DEATH, DIVORCE & DEBT. Love 707 Sportscards. Levi knows what the hell he is doing. He waits to get his price, smart man.

rats60
11-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Totally disagree. A lot of cheapskates on feebay and you have to wait them out with BIN's. Make cheapskates wait till they have no choice but to pay closer to true value for a card if they want it with a BIN. Feebay Auctions for sellers for the most part suck period. Many card values are hurt by the big volume sellers on feebay. To get true value, you have to wait out the cheapskates to get your price. I learned this from my Penn Economics professor..."If you are an eager seller, you are going to lose." People sell for 3 reasons and they are the three D's: DEATH, DIVORCE & DEBT. Love 707 Sportscards. Levi knows what the hell he is doing. He waits to get his price, smart man.

If you can wait 10 to 20 years on the market to catch up with your prices. To me a better economic model would be to take a smaller mark up and turn your money over many time per year. That model seems to be working for Wal-Mart and Amazon.

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 02:16 PM
Totally disagree. We're not Wal-Mart or Amazon. And you don't have to wait 10 or 20 years. It's better than getting an average of 45% of true value. With BIN's and Best offer you get close to 80% - 100% of true value. After feebay & pigpal fees, you need to have BIN's & two more reasons why seller feebay auctions suck. Make the cheapskates wait and pay more is my motto.

savedfrommyspokes
11-03-2018, 02:49 PM
In my case, I find using both models (price low, turn quick/price higher/sell slower) in conjunction with one another works best.

What I mean by this is when I am listing a card that their is a vast supply of already on ebay, I price slightly below the "market price" in order to turn the card over quickly. When I buy, I buy with the intent of selling these types of card at a low margin, but with a quick turn. I am will to accept lower margin on these cards with the intent of selling quickly.

When I list a card where there is a low supply on ebay, I price these cards slightly higher than what the market will normally bring with the intent of maximizing my profit. While these cards don't turn as quick, they do eventually sell (6-8 months) and I am able to recognize some additional profit.

While the majority (80%/20%) of the cards I list are quick turn/low margin, I still manage to turn my inventory 4.5 times a year and realize a profit that meets my needs.

So, depending on the existing availability of the card I am listing, I use one of these two models. IMO, both models are effective depending on the situation.

Orioles1954
11-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Totally disagree. We're not Wal-Mart or Amazon. And you don't have to wait 10 or 20 years. It's better than getting an average of 45% of true value. With BIN's and Best offer you get close to 80% - 100% of true value. After feebay & pigpal fees, you need to have BIN's & two more reasons why seller feebay auctions suck. Make the cheapskates wait and pay more is my motto.

If your prices are terrible I won't even attempt to view the rest of your inventory. More reasonable pricing will lead to multiple cards purchased in one sale and better turn over. The over VCP method might work on single card sales but you're ignoring add-ons. It's a missed opportunity IMO

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 03:37 PM
If your prices are terrible I won't even attempt to view the rest of your inventory. More reasonable pricing will lead to multiple cards purchased in one sale and better turn over. The over VCP method might work on single card sales but you're ignoring add-ons. It's a missed opportunity IMO

Nah.... don't agree. You are not my kind of customer so I don't care about any missed opportunity. My buyers want quality and are willing to pay for it not at feebay auction bargain prices. My BIN prices are reasonable and the cheapskates don't even want that. They want top quality for cheap and that's what crappy feebay auctions gives them sometimes. It ticks off sellers because the sellers got themselves in a situation where they have to sell and this is what the cheapskates wait for... so I am making them wait longer...look at 707 sportscards on feebay... not ONE auction. Levi Bleem knows what he is doing.

CobbSpikedMe
11-03-2018, 03:47 PM
There are several sellers that I will never buy from, Levi being one of them. The ridiculous prices are so distasteful that I refuse to consider them as sellers. I'm obviously not the only one like this either.

I'm not saying sellers need to take a crazy hit on their sales, but lowering the prices a bit to gain more buyers would result in more sales and more profits. The waiting for "cheapskates" to pony up for a high price approach is ok if you're not into making sales and money. Real smart though apparently.

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 04:03 PM
There are several sellers that I will never buy from, Levi being one of them. The ridiculous prices are so distasteful that I refuse to consider them as sellers. I'm obviously not the only one like this either.

I'm not saying sellers need to take a crazy hit on their sales, but lowering the prices a bit to gain more buyers would result in more sales and more profits. The waiting for "cheapskates" to pony up for a high price approach is ok if you're not into making sales and money. Real smart though apparently.

Like I said, guys like you are not my kind of customer. Levi sells to people who have the means to pay for what they want. I don't think he worries about people who won't buy from him. I think he's doing pretty well for himself.

SetBuilder
11-03-2018, 04:07 PM
The economy is doing well.

When it goes south (and inevitably it will), people will be forced to sell their cards to pay expenses and large quantities of quality supply will flood the market.

These overpriced dealers won't escape the bloodbath and will be the first to faceplant into the turf.

Nature will take care of it.

"the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets." - Baron Rothschild

"Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.” - Warren Buffett

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 04:11 PM
The economy is doing well.

When it goes south (and inevitably it will), people will be forced to sell their cards to pay expenses and large quantities of quality supply will flood the market.

These overpriced dealers won't escape the bloodbath and will be the first to faceplant into the turf.

"Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.” - Warren Buffett

No kidding but in the meantime....wait out the cheapskates with BIN's!!

CobbSpikedMe
11-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Like I said, guys like you are not my kind of customer. Levi sells to people who have the means to pay for what they want. I don't think he worries about people who won't buy from him. I think he's doing pretty well for himself.

I'm definitely not your kind of customer. Your inventory must be too good for me.

Everyone sells to people who have the means to pay for what they want. The fact that you're constantly calling buyers cheapskates and acting like you have material that is too good for some of us is why I'm not your kind of customer. Not because I can't afford your inventory, but because of your attitude.

JollyElm
11-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Hey, angrybitterguy14, why don't you do us a favor and post your ebay seller name here, so every single one of us can just avoid ever having to deal with you, okay?

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 04:36 PM
I'm definitely not your kind of customer. Your inventory must be too good for me.

Everyone sells to people who have the means to pay for what they want. The fact that you're constantly calling buyers cheapskates and acting like you have material that is too good for some of us is why I'm not your kind of customer. Not because I can't afford your inventory, but because of your attitude.

Keep your powder dry buddy. Nobody's taking shots here. If you don't have the means to pay higher priced dealers like Levi, there are plenty of other sellers to buy from. Levi doesn't care. I am just making my point that I have a profitable method of dealing with people who look for bargains all the time (cheapskates). These buyers from big feebay auction sellers hurt values for small and mid-size dealers that's all. The days of buying common vintage PSA 8's for 20 bucks are fading fast. Prices for common vintage PSA 8's are approaching $ 40-50 each as they should. I love these guys who quote you "SMR book values" and think your gonna bite on it. BIN's are the way to go.

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Hey, angrybitterguy14, why don't you do us a favor and post your ebay seller name here, so every single one of us can just avoid ever having to deal with you, okay?

I don't have to because I am not taking shots at anyone here.

CobbSpikedMe
11-03-2018, 04:53 PM
I am just making my point that I have a profitable method of dealing with people who look for bargains all the time (cheapskates).

See, there it is again. I guess all us board members who look for bargains (I would think that's a pretty big population) are all cheapskates. Nice way to make friends on the board. But let me guess, you're not here to make friends, just troll the board.

I never said I didn't have the means to buy from Levi, I said I never would buy from him. It's a principle thing, not a financial status thing.

ejharrington
11-03-2018, 04:53 PM
The model may or not make sense based on whether the seller knows what he's doing. For example, for over two years I was watching a card that was ridiculously overpriced at BIN $1,600. I made a couple of offers for amounts that NO ONE else would ever pay. Both were declined without even a counteroffer. Every month, the card would go unsold and I would watch it. Finally, another of the same exact card went up for auction and I won the auction at about $550, which was hundreds less than what I had previously offered. I continued to watch the card until I noticed it was finally put up for auction, where it fetched far less than what I paid for it. I still scratch my head on what the seller was thinking.

Now I am going through the same process with another card where it is listed for $500 but is worth $100 TOPS if I am willing to overpay for it. I guarantee, it will end the same way as the prior example.

Rich Falvo
11-03-2018, 04:54 PM
What good is a BIN that doesn't result in a sale?

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 04:57 PM
What good is a BIN that doesn't result in a sale?

But they do all the time.

Rich Falvo
11-03-2018, 05:02 PM
But they do all the time.

Yes. I'm asking why, if it doesn't result in a sale.

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 05:03 PM
See, there it is again. I guess all us board members who look for bargains (I would think that's a pretty big population) are all cheapskates. Nice way to make friends on the board. But let me guess, you're not here to make friends, just troll the board.

I never said I didn't have the means to buy from Levi, I said I never would buy from him. It's a principle thing, not a financial status thing.

Some of you guys are so sensitive ....my God. I am trying to be real here and I guess it's not going over too well for some of you. Now I could take what you said and yell for Leon that you called me a troll but I'm a big boy, I can take it. Maybe I hit a nerve.... no harm intended but I am not backing off from what I've been saying.

cgreat14
11-03-2018, 05:07 PM
Yes. I'm asking why, if it doesn't result in a sale.

So you lower the BIN a little like 5%.

CobbSpikedMe
11-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Some of you guys are so sensitive ....my God. I am trying to be real here and I guess it's not going over too well for some of you. Now I could take what you said and yell for Leon that you called me a troll but I'm a big boy, I can take it. Maybe I hit a nerve.... no harm intended but I am not backing off from what I've been saying.

Leon, am I in trouble for calling him out as a troll since all of his posts are in this thread pissing people off and being a troll? If so I apologize. :rolleyes:

cardsnstuff
11-03-2018, 05:17 PM
FWIW; Price your stuff fairly and it will move. I have plenty above vcp and plenty below. Most sellers, probably know where they need to be on any particular card. Some I have held my ground, because I know I am priced fairly, and I choose not to give them away at below market value. Others, I give away, because their is ton of supply in the marketplace.

It comes to basic economics; supply and demand. Not that I am defending him or need to but, Levi, doesn't have to move his price he has plenty of people who are willing to pay it. However, if you follow his listings you will see he accepts a lot of BO.

Rich Falvo
11-03-2018, 05:19 PM

The discussion is about people who don’t lower them and keep renewing the item at the same price.

CobbSpikedMe
11-03-2018, 05:25 PM
The discussion is about people who don’t lower them and keep renewing the item at the same price.

Yes, and what you "Totally disagree" with earlier was the OPs original suggestion to lower the BIN if it doesn't sell. Now you're suggesting the same thing.

x2drich2000
11-03-2018, 06:07 PM
To me there are 2 ways to make money, either you have a small margin with high turnover or high margin with low turnover. Neither is wrong as long as the seller is happy with the results. Some people don't have the financial backing necessary to wait wait wait, sometime years at a time, to get the prices they want. Others do, good for them. 707's model works because he has the financial backing to wait as long as necessary to get the price he wants for the card. He knows it will eventually sell. He also has the inventory/connections that people know if they want a card at a specific grade he either has it or can get it. With 707 there's little need to shop elsewhere. He has convenience. He's not worried about how quickly he can turn his inventory over. The quicker he turns his inventory over just means he needs to find inventory more quickly to replace it.

Personally, how I sell an item depends on what it is. If it is a low grade T206 or mid grade 1960's HOFer, you better believe I'm selling that as quickly as possible and taking whatever profit I can get. But if it's something unique or unusually high graded, you better believe that BIN is high and its sitting there. If it sells, great, if it doesn't, I'll just wait to get the price I want. I currently have 1 item which is a high grade for the issue and only a few graded higher. I know what I paid for it and have it priced quite a bit higher. I have one buyer who has made multiple offers, and always quotes what I paid, but its just not worth it for me to make a small return on it. I'm sure it will eventually sell for my asking price and if it doesn't, it's a nice card for my own collection. Quite frankly, if you don't like my price you should have outbid me on it or you should look to get it from somewhere else.

Rich Klein
11-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Please note: I do NOT sell on Ebay but only sell at shows,

Hate to say this: but it's the seller's cards and they can offer it at whatever price they wish to offer the card for sale Isn't that truly the free market system at work. Not everyone, wants to, or needs to, sell cards at your price.

I agree with the poster who mentions about not selling the card bought for and then offered a small percent profit. If the person quotes the price the card sold for, if that is what you are willing to pay, then that person could have bought it earlier at the higher price. I saw a note in the Shriner's thread about an item purchased for 1K which the seller is now asking 5K for. Now, if the person who wants to buy the item HAD the money at the time, why not buy the bullet at that point.

"If I could change one thing of many things about ebay, I would make it a rule that if a seller relists a BIN card that it most be 10% lower in price and after a few re-listings the cards would finally sell and stop clogging up my searches!!"

Maybe true for many vintage cards but not always true on new cards -- if you posted Mookie Betts at a high price about 3 months ago, the market has accelerated from there and you'd be selling way too cheap in many cases to do that. That's a totally impractical idea for new card sellers.

I would point out that at many small and mid-level shows (such as mine for a not-so-subtle plug) the dealers are happy to sell reasonable. If you are lucky enough to have show (s) in your area then get to those shows and meet fellow collectors in public

Regards
Rich

ValKehl
11-03-2018, 09:32 PM
Nah.... don't agree. You are not my kind of customer so I don't care about any missed opportunity. My buyers want quality and are willing to pay for it not at feebay auction bargain prices. My BIN prices are reasonable and the cheapskates don't even want that. They want top quality for cheap and that's what crappy feebay auctions gives them sometimes. It ticks off sellers because the sellers got themselves in a situation where they have to sell and this is what the cheapskates wait for... so I am making them wait longer...look at 707 sportscards on feebay... not ONE auction. Levi Bleem knows what he is doing.

Levi Bleam also knows how to correctly spell his last name! :D

Sean
11-03-2018, 09:34 PM
I don't have to because I am not taking shots at anyone here.

But you have expressed an opinion of Levi, and by the rules your name (not your ebay handle) should be in your post.

egbeachley
11-03-2018, 10:10 PM
I did not realize you could relist as new for just 10 cents, so they can keep relisting for a year and it only costs them 1.20 and at that rate their sunk cost will never match the appreciation of the cards, so I get it now. Back to my clogged searches.

No, they can list as new for free. I’m saying that if we go back to the old ways and charge every listing 10cents then there would be less BINs that last for years.

rats60
11-04-2018, 06:12 AM
Keep your powder dry buddy. Nobody's taking shots here. If you don't have the means to pay higher priced dealers like Levi, there are plenty of other sellers to buy from. Levi doesn't care. I am just making my point that I have a profitable method of dealing with people who look for bargains all the time (cheapskates). These buyers from big feebay auction sellers hurt values for small and mid-size dealers that's all. The days of buying common vintage PSA 8's for 20 bucks are fading fast. Prices for common vintage PSA 8's are approaching $ 40-50 each as they should. I love these guys who quote you "SMR book values" and think your gonna bite on it. BIN's are the way to go.

This whole rant is about selling 20.00 cards for 40.00? Lol. Seems like a poor business model. I thought you were talking about high grade Ruths or Mantles or Hof RCs. I would be happy that someone would be willing to take those cards off my hands so I could put my money into high demand cards. That is a dying market. Millenials don't care about Sibby Sisti or Bow Wow Arft. You are correct though, I am not your customer. I don't care about commons, only cards that will appreciate in value in the future.

thetruthisoutthere
11-04-2018, 06:48 AM
I love autographs and love old cardboard.

And I love this topic also.

And I also love BIN.

I have purchased autographs for as low as 30% of the BIN now price and frequently win auctions at 50% of the BIN price. It works for me as a buyer and collector.

I don't sell to make money. I sell to purchase other items I want.

But as a seller, my Jeter items might be overpriced at this time, and with Jeter's stuff being depressed right now, I keep those "overpriced" items listed as a reminder, so when the time arrives and his stuff skyrockets, buyers/collectors will remember my items.

I will admit, I get a lot of Ebay emails asking me "when are you going to lower your prices?" I reply "I'm not." I will sell at the price I want.

The "population" on EBay has changed dramatically and you have to adapt to it.

I understand people getting emotional about it, and no one gets more emotional about the forgeries on Ebay than I do, but you have to take a step back and adapt to the "population," but that doesn't mean you have to give in to it, unless, of course, you need the money.

One of the great things about Ebay, is that if you have to sell something at a lower price because of need, you can always buy a similar item again in the future.

A long time ago, I was in tough situation and was forced to sell almost everything, but you know what; I have been able to re-purchase 90% of my stuff.

I apologize for the long rant.

cgreat14
11-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Levi Bleam also knows how to correctly spell his last name! :D

Yeah write

cgreat14
11-04-2018, 07:26 AM
This whole rant is about selling 20.00 cards for 40.00? Lol. Seems like a poor business model. I thought you were talking about high grade Ruths or Mantles or Hof RCs. I would be happy that someone would be willing to take those cards off my hands so I could put my money into high demand cards. That is a dying market. Millenials don't care about Sibby Sisti or Bow Wow Arft. You are correct though, I am not your customer. I don't care about commons, only cards that will appreciate in value in the future.

I do just fine.

cgreat14
11-04-2018, 07:29 AM

5% over a 3 - 5 year is not really lowering your price.

cgreat14
11-04-2018, 07:33 AM
No, they can list as new for free. I’m saying that if we go back to the old ways and charge every listing 10cents then there would be less BINs that last for years.

No, we don't need to go back to more fees from feebay. Keep BIN's as they are and reduce auctions somehow. All BIN's all the time!

Exhibitman
11-04-2018, 07:34 AM
If we The economy is doing well.

“Wasting away again in Margaritaville” - Jimmy Buffett

Sorry.

Many part time sellers use BINS to list items they would not sell except for the price asked. They don’t really want to sell.

Some sellers see no need to discount big names like Ruth or Mantle. Why should they? Holding vintage Ruth cards has been one of the best moves over the last several years.

Another factor: replacing an inventory of prewar baseball cards is not like replacing an inventory of cleaning supplies. It is very difficult. A seller has to wring out the maximum return and speed is just one component to consider.

Unless I am raising bail I don’t need to sell an appreciating card quickly and I have little incentive to sell cheap.

If eBay was to charge a listing fee for repeat BINS I would simply stop listing them. That is not in eBay’s best interest. eBay is a consignment store where the consignor has all the cost of inventory storage and shipping. COMC actually takes custody of the inventory and it charges a fee for storage. With no physical inventory costs eBay is best served by maxing out it’s virtual inventory. That is done by allowing people who are willing to pay for a store to list a lot of stuff at no cost. eBay gets its fee for the store subscriptions and it gets a lot of inventory in return. I have 500 listings a month with the basic store. If eBay charged a fee to roll over my inventory I would drop the subscription. Subscription revenue is steady and desired sale revenue is sporadic.

cgreat14
11-04-2018, 07:40 AM
If we

“Wasting away again in Margaritaville” - Jimmy Buffett

Sorry.

Many part time sellers use BINS to list items they would not sell except for the price asked. They don’t really want to sell.

Some sellers see no need to discount big names like Ruth or Mantle. Why should they? Holding vintage Ruth cards has been one of the best moves over the last several years.

Another factor: replacing an inventory of prewar baseball cards is not like replacing an inventory of cleaning supplies. It is very difficult. A seller has to wring out the maximum return and speed is just one component to consider.

Unless I am raising bail I don’t need to sell an appreciating card quickly and I have little incentive to sell cheap. If eBay was to charge a listing fee for repeat BINS I would simply stop listing them.

Finally someone I agree with.

CobbSpikedMe
11-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Finally someone I agree with.

but Adam's cards are reasonably priced. ;)

Section103
11-04-2018, 08:45 AM
If we
If eBay was to charge a listing fee for repeat BINS I would simply stop listing them. That is not in eBay’s best interest.

True - not in eBays best interest but EXACTLY what the OP was hoping to achieve.

pokerplyr80
11-04-2018, 09:22 AM
I don't usually buy from sellers who price cards well over market value either, unless the card has exceptional eye appeal and I feel it's worth the premium. But I don't understand why this is even an issue. Either make an offer of what you feel the card is worth, or wait for the next one.

cgreat14
11-04-2018, 09:47 AM
I don't usually buy from sellers who price cards well over market value either, unless the card has exceptional eye appeal and I feel it's worth the premium. But I don't understand why this is even an issue. Either make an offer of what you feel the card is worth, or wait for the next one.

Which may or may not ever come. So you come back to me with my price and you pay for the quality , eye appeal etc.

Exhibitman
11-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Which may or may not ever come. So you come back to me with my price and you pay for the quality , eye appeal etc.

Well sure, that's the name of the game. If the item is sufficiently rare and not insanely priced (e.g., $250K for a $2K card) it is going to find a home eventually. I've sold quite a few cards over the years that were rare enough that there wasn't really a 'book' or 'market' value to reference, and I've always held out for my price or close to it. The irony is that on some of them I sold too cheap/too soon!