PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1952 Topps Jack Jensen #122

zappadelta
10-31-2018, 07:17 PM
Trying to figure out what's going on in the background of this card, the color I mean. Is that a sunset/twilight, or something else? Seen several copies online but can't quite tell.

Anyone know?> Thanks

commishbob
10-31-2018, 07:44 PM
Not sure anyone could know for sure but I see it as a sunset beyond the stadium walls. Whatever it is supposed to be it makes for a really great baseball card.

irv
10-31-2018, 08:09 PM
I never really paid attention to it until this thread. Personally, I have no idea what it could be but I do like it. :)

Rose4HOF
11-01-2018, 12:32 AM
Glad you mentioned it.....makes me slow down and enjoy them more.

zappadelta
11-01-2018, 01:28 AM
Thank you folks, it is a great looking card.

swarmee
11-01-2018, 04:00 AM
Looks kind of like one of those plastic outfield fence walls that they install on little league fields to reduce the size of the outfield for smaller kids. Or could have been used on a Spring Training field.

daves_resale_shop
11-01-2018, 06:26 AM
Perhaps the golden gate bridge?

Jackie was born in san fran...

SMPEP
11-01-2018, 09:08 AM
I think I can answer this one definitively!

Oh, and if anyone has images of the original pictures of 1952 Topps cards - I'm always interested in seeing those!

ALR-bishop
11-01-2018, 09:30 AM
Thanks for posting the picture SMPEP

As an aside, I bet going through life with the name Wambsganss was interesting. :)

toppcat
11-01-2018, 04:10 PM
I love the backgrounds on the 52's, especially the first 3 or 4 series. Take a look at Luke Easter, Howie Pollet or Earl Torgeson for example.

irv
11-01-2018, 05:57 PM
I love the backgrounds on the 52's, especially the first 3 or 4 series. Take a look at Luke Easter, Howie Pollet or Earl Torgeson for example.

You know, like I mentioned above, I have never really paid a lot of attention to the background of a lot of cards.
I have noticed some, however, with other players/people behind the main focus player and often wondered who they were at times?

A lot of 52's are just portrait type cards with a solid background color but some are definitely interesting, like this Bobby Morgan card. A travel trailer in the background?
I like the ones that show ballparks/diamonds the best, like these Cass Michaels and Dale Mitchell cards.

savedfrommyspokes
11-02-2018, 07:09 AM
I think I can answer this one definitively!

Oh, and if anyone has images of the original pictures of 1952 Topps cards - I'm always interested in seeing those!

I am not familiar with that Jensen card....what is it?

KCRfan1
11-02-2018, 07:19 AM
One of my favorite cards!

As a right handed batter, the image appears to show Jensen in full swing, with the bat in the background slow motion. The bat being at the far right, then almost above, and lastly the follow thru swing.

My 2 cents though....

Volod
11-02-2018, 06:08 PM
One of my favorite cards!

As a right handed batter, the image appears to show Jensen in full swing, with the bat in the background slow motion. The bat being at the far right, then almost above, and lastly the follow thru swing.

My 2 cents though....

Up it to a nickel.:rolleyes:

swarmee
11-02-2018, 06:17 PM
I'm pretty sure it's fencing around the infield to keep fans in the stands from getting hit by line drives...

swarmee
11-02-2018, 06:17 PM
*double post*

SMPEP
11-03-2018, 08:29 AM
A lot of the 1952 cards are pictures taken during spring training - hence a lot of the unusual backgrounds.

Al - The funny thing about the Wambsganss card - It's not even Wambsganss! It's Fritz Coumbe and they misidentified it. Sorry on your point about Wamby - I think it's even worse than you suspected when they can't even get your picture right!

Volod
11-03-2018, 05:13 PM
My ex wife had a college friend who was a granddaughter of Bill Wambsganss. When I first met her at a sorority mixer, as a longtime Indians fan, I was impressed by her uncommon surname and asked if she was related to Wamby. Surprised, she replied that she had heard something about him playing baseball in his youth, but knew nothing more than that. I think players of that era were not given to boasting about their careers.

SMPEP
11-04-2018, 08:01 AM
My ex wife had a college friend who was a granddaughter of Bill Wambsganss. When I first met her at a sorority mixer, as a longtime Indians fan, I was impressed by her uncommon surname and asked if she was related to Wamby. Surprised, she replied that she had heard something about him playing baseball in his youth, but knew nothing more than that. I think players of that era were not given to boasting about their careers.

Steve!!!! You should have asked her if she had a W572 Wambsganss for trade!!! What were you thinking? :D

ALBB
11-04-2018, 04:01 PM
52T Cass Micheals

Is that a gondola on the side there

swarmee
11-04-2018, 04:25 PM
No, it's the grounds crew rolling up the tarp.

Volod
11-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Steve!!!! You should have asked her if she had a W572 Wambsganss for trade!!! What were you thinking? :D

Ah, it was so long ago that I was not yet back into card collecting. Funny epilogue, though - she later accused me of copping out of polite society because I had been telling her friend, my fiance', that I was planning to move to the Alaskan bush to become a homesteader. Not a popular idea, apparently, in that sorority.:rolleyes: