PDA

View Full Version : High end Koufax rookie vs low grade Ruth

maximus35
10-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Hey guys, I wanted everyone’s opinion on what they would rather own long term....Sandy Koufax rookie graded PSA 8.5 or a Babe Ruth 1917 Collins McCarthy either graded PSA or SGC 1 or authentic (whatever a comparable price would be somewhere between $32,000-40,000). I guess my point is would you guys rather own a high grade vintage card of one of the most famous pitchers of all time or a low grade pre war of the GOAT?

Orioles1954
10-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Ruth

Rhotchkiss
10-26-2018, 07:52 AM
No question, Ruth in a 1.

But do not buy big boy cards like that in an A. I would rather have the Koufax than the Ruth in an A. I think I’d rather have an itchy rash than spend money on a Ruth an A (obviously exaggerating for effect)

Huysmans
10-26-2018, 08:07 AM
That's like asking if I'd sooner have a like-new, low mileage Ford Pinto.... or a completely destroyed and beat up Ferrari F40...

I'll take the Ferrari every time.

sterlingfox
10-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Ruth!

puckpaul
10-26-2018, 08:28 AM
What is the pop on the koufax? I think there are a few or more 9’s around. For such a high printed card, i think if its not in the top handful of grades then that is a risky price. Itis risky either way. I say neither, both are just too expensive and lots of downside risk to those prices. If that risk is neglibible to you and you love the cards, buy them both.

rats60
10-26-2018, 09:04 AM
I would shoot for a strong 1 or 1.5 in the Ruth. I agree with staying away from an authentic or a trashed 1. Otherwise, the Koufax is a card worth owning, although in that price range there are several other cards that I would rather have unless you already have an extensive collection.

bbcard1
10-26-2018, 09:08 AM
If you were looking at a high-grade pitcher in the upper echelon rookie from the 50s, I might be more inclined to lean toward a Gibson. If you were leaning toward a 1955 rookie card, I might be more inclined to go with a Clemente. The problem with Koufax (I bought a 4.5 this year myself for my collection, so I'm not talking it down) is that there's a ton of them out there. As one of the other posters say, all 1s are not created equal. I'd probably go for the Ruth myself, but I would want a decent eye appeal.

x2drich2000
10-26-2018, 09:34 AM
I would go with the Ruth, but I would actually strongly consider an A depending on the reason and especially the eye appeal. I would much rather have a card with a slight trim and nice image than one that is trashed. At $40k I think you are going to struggle to find one without significant issues. For reference, earlier this year REA sold a PSA 1 (MK) for $36k which had creases, surface issues, and writing on the front. Going up to a PSA 1.5, HA sold one this year for $72k, which is way outside the budget mentioned.

DJ

ullmandds
10-26-2018, 10:46 AM
RUTH all day every day...I wouldn't even put a koufax rookie in the same solar system!

orly57
10-26-2018, 12:27 PM
RUTH all day every day...I wouldn't even put a koufax rookie in the same solar system!

+1

Ryan, Im not a fan of “A” cards either, but a Ruth rookie is one of the few exceptions I could probably live with. I don’t know that I would actually BUY an A Ruth, but the hypothetical asks which you prefer to own (I wouldn’t buy an ultra high grade Koufax either). High grades don’t really blow me away; yesterday’s 8 is today’s 6.5, but a Ruth rookie is a Ruth rookie. Obviously I would need to see the card before making this decision, since there are so many different reasons why a card could be labeled “authentic.” But if it presents fairly well, I would prefer the authentic Ruth, and it isn’t particularly close.

yanksfan09
10-26-2018, 12:31 PM
Ruth, no question. I would always value rarity and better player than a more common card in higher grade.

maximus35
10-26-2018, 12:38 PM
I already own the PSA Koufax 8.5 but I am debating selling it to get $ to purchase the Collin McCarthy Ruth. The CM Ruth is a card I’ve always wanted. I love the pose and that he’s in a Red Sox uniform. I just wanted your guys opinion if you would rather own a high end vintage card or bottom of the low end pre war.

Rhotchkiss
10-26-2018, 01:08 PM
This "would you rather own a high end vintage card or bottom of the low end pre war", is a much different question than whether you would rather own a 1955 Koufax 8.5 or a 1917 Ruth 1.

I think the board generally supports your thinking of selling the Koufax 8.5 to own the 1917 Ruth (A, 1 or otherwise). But lets be clear that the decision is based on Ruth, not the pre-war aspect of the card.

Me, personally, I don't really collect much newer than the 1920's (and most of my stuff is 1911 and older), and that's because I like rarer cards. But if you came up to me an offered me a PSA 8.5 Koufax rookie, there are few "low end pre war" cards I would choose over the Koufax -- a 1917 Collins McCarthy Ruth is definitely one card I would choose over the Koufax.

quitcrab
10-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Condition, condition, condition...go with Sandy !

KMayUSA6060
10-26-2018, 02:17 PM

Agreed. There are plenty of cards in that range I would put well ahead of a high-grade Koufax rookie.

That Koufax rookie is only worth what it is because of someone's opinion on its looks/condition. If something were to happen and a corner were to get dinged somehow in the slab, or the slab were to break, you're risking a huge loss on your investment. Whereas the Ruth and many other cards like the Ruth are held up by the subject and the scarcity of that subject, which is a much sturdier foundation for your investment.

LincolnVT
10-26-2018, 04:03 PM
I would have to agree with what people have said here so far. I would rather have several of Ruth's earlier cards over a high grade example of the other player that you mentioned.

maximus35
10-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Ok guys next question.....whose ready to trade their CM Ruth for my Koufax? LOL

BruceinGa
10-26-2018, 05:40 PM
As a test maybe you should post the same question on the Post War Baseball Card Forum.
I would be interested to see the results.

ruth_rookie
10-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Not even close IMHO. How many people can actually say they own a Ruth from his Red Sox days? How many people can say they own a Koufax rookie? Besides, there will always be market for that Ruth, even in a weak economy... just PM me 😁.

oldjudge
10-26-2018, 07:14 PM
I would sell the PSA 8.5 Koufax and buy an SGC 8. With the amount you make you should be able to almost pay for the Ruth and still have a great Koufax.

Leon
10-30-2018, 09:19 AM
As a test maybe you should post the same question on the Post War Baseball Card Forum.
I would be interested to see the results.

Yes this would probably make a difference. I like Ruth as he is Ruth and more scarce...but if I were a 50s collector it might be different.

pokerplyr80
10-30-2018, 11:20 AM
I would sell the PSA 8.5 Koufax and buy an SGC 8. With the amount you make you should be able to almost pay for the Ruth and still have a great Koufax.

I collect both pre and post war and agree with this. If you can sell, get a card you've always wanted, and down grade to a nice psa 7 Koufax RC I say go for it.

Aaron Seefeldt
10-30-2018, 11:27 AM
I recently asked my fiancée's son if he's ever heard of Michael Jordan. No. Peyton Manning? no. Tom Brady? no. Obviously, he's not into sports.

LeBron James? nope.

How about Babe Ruth? oh yes, he was a baseball player.

Do the Babe Ruth because it's Babe F'n Ruth. A household name, even with 11 year olds who's life passion is video games.

clydepepper
10-30-2018, 12:19 PM
I sold my PSA-7 Koufax RC a few months ago and more than doubled my money (rare for me), but I would still go with the Babe.