PDA

View Full Version : E121 Speaker Variations

mpemulis
10-13-2018, 06:37 PM
Hi all -

Thanks in advance for assistance. I'm looking for information/confirmation on the Speaker variations in the E121 series of 120.

See the Speaker pictured below. Do you think this is Large Projection #121 or Small Projection #122? I was under the impression that it was Small.

If this is correct and this is the Small, does someone have a picture of a Large so I can confirm the difference in appearance?

Here's why I'm asking/confused: I know what the series 80 Speaker looks like, and assumed the Large looks just like the series of 80, where Speaker takes up most of the frame.

But as I was looking to find a series of 120 Large projection - whether mislabeled or misidentified, everything I've seen looks to me like the same version as what I've attached here.

Am I going nuts? Is there some variation between Large/Small that's more nuanced and I'm just not seeing? Or does the real Large look like the series of 80 picture, and I just haven't found one correctly labeled?

Your information is greatly appreciated.

- J

mpemulis
10-13-2018, 06:43 PM
For comparison, here's a picture of my series of 80 - what I thought a Large Projection series of 120 would look like...

rhettyeakley
10-13-2018, 09:32 PM
You are NOT crazy. What you have pictured are the "large" and "small" projections.

The E121 set has caused a lot of confusion over the years stemming from bad cataloging in the past. The result is cards that do not exist being carried on checklists for decades. The "Large Projection" E121 Series of 120 card is one of these non-cards.

That being said there are still new discoveries being made in the "E121 Family of Sets" that keep shifting things as well so there always is the possibility that there is a large projection Speaker in the set but just not seen yet BUT I would b REALLY surprised as the E121 Series of 120 is a fairly straightforward set compared to the Seres of 80 which is an absolute monster to try to catalog as it has 4 different backs, multiple print runs and new cards are still being uncovered every couple of years.

mpemulis
10-14-2018, 07:09 AM
Thanks Rhett! That helps a ton!