PDA

View Full Version : A Quiet Reflection

Yoda
10-06-2018, 01:00 PM
I grow increasingly bewildered: What in the name of God is going on with pre-War baseball cards? I just won a nice E90-1 Mike Mitchell, the so-called Honus Wagner of caramel cards, at the just concluded Mile High auction for what I thought was a great price (thanks, Brian.) Contrast that to the rollout of T206's in the latest PWCC offering. We all know that the Cobb Green has been hot for a while now, but a trimmed specimen is already over $2,500 with 8 days left in the auction. What's going on?

1. The Mitchell card has lost its prominence in the hobby.
2. The Cobb green card has entered a Dutch tulip phase.
3, The Fed's policy of quantitative easing and a robust stock market has meant excessive liquidity in the economy, tilting normal supply and demand curves.
4. A cabal of uber wealthy investment gurus have decided old baseball cards are essential to the nation's mental health.
5. What the f word is going on?

Throttlesteer
10-06-2018, 01:06 PM
I still point to what people are spending on Trout, Ohtani, Betts, Yelich autographed orange, gold, blue refractors. Prewar still seems like a buy in that space.

glchen
10-06-2018, 01:09 PM
I think the Green Cobb has always been on collectors' want list but for many, it was, "I'll get it later after I see a good deal on a nice looking card..." However, now that the price has skyrocketed, the thinking has changed to "I better get one now if I ever want to own one in the future."