PDA

View Full Version : Campanella lithograph

cnote08
10-04-2018, 01:56 PM
I enjoy collecting lithographs of Hall of Fame baseball players and am entertaining a purchase of a Roy Campanella piece. It's a lithograph of a Christopher Paluso Roy Campanella painting and they have both signed it. Is it fair to believe Campy signed it with the aid of a device?

Steve D
10-04-2018, 06:26 PM
Yes, he signed those lithos, with his own hand, with the aid of a supporting device.

Steve

Mr. Zipper
10-05-2018, 07:17 AM
It was my understanding that it was some sort of brace, but some comments make it seem as though it was a mechanical device that aided in the movement.

Which is true?

mr2686
10-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Steve, I can only comment on when I got his in-person autograph on Oct 7, 1989. Roy used a brace, not anything with a motor in it (and I got a very close look at it). Because he could only really move his fingers and kinda pivot on his palm, you mostly see a pretty good ROY with the Campanella starting fairly good and then getting sloppy towards the end as he had to stretch.

Steve D
10-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Steve, I can only comment on when I got his in-person autograph on Oct 7, 1989. Roy used a brace, not anything with a motor in it.

This matches up with my recollections as well.

Steve

frankbmd
10-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Campanella signed this for me with a ballpoint pen, no brace or
device of any sort ......................

https://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/frankbmd/autographs-tickets/7600/campanella-roy

............. in March 1957. He did ride a bus that day though from Clearwater to Vero Beach. :eek:;):D