PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Caporal 460/25 moving factory lines

t206fix
10-03-2018, 01:29 PM
In pursuit of the Sweet Caporal 350-460 factory 25 subset, I noticed a slight printing variation for the bottom factory line. Not significant, but interesting, at least to me. Also, t206 print experts might want to weigh in... Were these printed on the same sheet, or different sheets? Was the factory number line added later?

Since most t206 selllers don't mention the back number, I tried to find a way to quickly determine the card's factory. In doing so, I found that the factory line has two variations -

Type 1: This type is found in under 20% of the cards that I've surveyed over the last few years. Notice a line extended from the T in subjects cuts through the S to make a $. Also, a line from the B cuts through the Y in factory. (Please note that I may or may not own some of these cards... I've done some upgrading/trading.)

t206fix
10-03-2018, 01:31 PM
Type 2: These cards miss the S when drawing a line extended from the T. It also does not intersect from the B to the Y.

boneheadandrube
10-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Maybe they were texting and printing at the same time...

iwantitiwinit
10-03-2018, 07:17 PM
I agree with you, the factory designation had to have been added after the rest of the back had been printed is that possible? By the way nice detective work.

sreader3
10-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Thanks for sharing Tony. I think this is a very important discovery — and so subtle it’s really impressive that you noticed! Reminds me of E121-80 Type 4. I wonder if there are multiple types of Factory 30 and 42 as well.

Agree this variation suggests the factory line was likely added to SC 460 cards after the rest of the back, similar to the Factory 649 overstrike in SC 150 and the Factory 42 overstrike in SC 460.

Again, now wonder if there are multiple “shifted” factory line types of SC 460/30 and SC 460/42 no overstrike backs ....

Pat R
10-04-2018, 07:04 AM
In my opinion I don't think the factory's were added after the backs
were printed. If they were I think we would see examples that are
significantly out of alignment like some of the overprints which
were added after. I also think you would see some examples
with no factory at all if they were added after.

steve B
10-04-2018, 08:13 AM
I'm with Pat on this, if they were added after, we'd see the occasional card without the factory number and lots of different displacements.

The question though is why there's a difference.
The back plate would have been laid out using transfers taken from a master plate with one example of that back.

I can't see many reasons to make a second master, unless the original was worn or damaged.

Another possibility is that the transfer was made as a block of backs, maybe 9 or 12 backs? That's also a bit of extra work for something that might have been needed only once.

It would be interesting to know what cards have been seen with that difference.
I have an idea or two. One being that the stone used for the Factory 30 backs was reworked by erasing the factory designation and laying down new factory designations for factory 25. That would explain it being different from the other factory 25 backs, and the slight inconsistencies between the two type one backs shown.

Another thought is that it's a similar reworking of a 350 plate to make a 350-460 plate. I think that's less likely, especially with Reulbach being one of the cards. There shouldn't have been much need to rework the factory number, unless they only had one with a different factory.

steve B
10-04-2018, 08:15 AM
And since I forgot to mention it, nice catch!

Pat R
10-04-2018, 09:05 AM
As more and more research is done on the set we also see more
instances where the best explanation is that the T206's weren't
all printed in the same place and I think this is another example
of that.

I would also like to say nice catch on this Tony.

t206fix
10-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys -

From a quick scan on Ebay, looks like the factory 30s also have a moving factory line as well. These are not my cards - the first is a H. Smith, the second is a Bescher. I'll look into the 42s when I have a chance.

t206fix
10-04-2018, 01:40 PM
42s move as well