PDA

View Full Version : Another T210 Old Mill Mystery Player

Vintagecatcher
09-29-2018, 08:21 PM
I noticed that although there is a Breivogel, Lynchburg, Series 2 T210 card, there isn't a player that made the official roster. Checked the roster before, during, and after the 1910 season, no Breivogel on the roster.

Most likely another case of a player making the T210 set, but not making the official team roster.

Curious if anyone has seen mention of him in the period newspapers.
What position did he play?

Thanks,

Patrick

Steve D
09-29-2018, 11:29 PM
There is a Frank Breivogel listed in boxscores in several Baltimore Sun editions in 1909 and 1910, as being a right-fielder for a local Baltimore team. Then in 1916, there is mention of a Frank Breivogel being a coach of one of the local Baltimore teams. This might be him.

It appears he was born around 1890.

I can find no other mentions of anyone with that, or a similar name related to baseball in Virginia or Maryland.

Steve

Vintagecatcher
10-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Thanks Steve!

Patrick

Tom Hufford
10-01-2018, 09:33 PM
The Sporting News contract cards list a player named Frank S. Brevogel signing with Lynchburg in 1910, but no further info.

I found the following for a Frank S. Breivogel, who lived in Baltimore. No firm proof that this is our T210 player, but its the best I've found so far.

1910 US Census, Baltimore: Jacob Breivogel, father, 68, b. Germany; Barbara, wife, 58; Christopher, son, 34, fireman; Ida T., daughter, 25, dressmaker; Harry J., son, 23, butcher; Bertha M., 21, stenographer; Frank S., 19, printer; all born in Maryland except father, Jacob. Jacob died April 12, 1916 in Baltimore. Ida T. Breivogel died May 5, 1962 in Baltimore, and obit lists her survivors as sister Bertha M. and brother Frank S. Many of this family are buried in Loudon Park Cemetery (Arbutus section, plot 199) in Baltimore, but there is no record of Frank there.

There are several mentions in Baltimore newspapers of Frank Breivogel playing on local amateur teams in the 1910 era, and coaching a local team in 1916.

The 1900 US Census for Baltimore shows the Jacob Breivogel family with a son Francis, born October 1889 in Baltimore.

In 1913, Frank lived in Buckingham, Quebec, Canada, where his daughter Felicia (1913-1987) was born.

In 1918, he was back in Baltimore, and on his WWI Draft Registration card, he listed himself as single, born 11-10-89 Baltimore, MD, residing at 1030 Brantly Ave. – Baltimore, MD., with occupation as butcher. In the 1920 census, he is listed as single, working as a butcher at the Lexington Market in Baltimore. He was still listed as a butcher in the 1923 Baltimore City Directory, and was listed as having a wife, Louise.

Frank and Louise were listed in the 1936 Miami, FL City Directory, with Frank working as a butcher. They were divorced in 1936 in Broward Co., FL, although her name in the Florida divorce index is listed as Dolores.

Frank applied for his Social Security card in December 1936, listing his name as Francis Satolio Breivogel, born November 10, 1889 in Baltimore. The Social Security Death Index lists him as Francis S. Breivogel, born 10 November 1889, died June 1966 in Irvington, NJ. A family tree listing on Ancestry.com gives his death date as June 4, 1966.

Harry J. Breivogel, Frank's brother, was manager of the Laurel Race Track (thoroughbred racing) for several years in the 1920s.

A player named Richard Arthur Breivogel was signed by the Detroit Tigers on August 15, 1975, and played one game for Bristol (Appalachian League) in 1976. No idea if he was any kin to Frank.

Again, I haven't found an obituary for this Frank, and don't have firm proof that this is our T210 guy. But, TSN listed his name as Frank S., and this is the only Frank S. that I've found anywhere with any ties to baseball.

tjb1952tjb
10-02-2018, 12:37 AM
The Sporting News contract cards list a player named Frank S. Brevogel signing with Lynchburg in 1910, but no further info.

I found the following for a Frank S. Breivogel, who lived in Baltimore. No firm proof that this is our T210 player, but its the best I've found so far.

1910 US Census, Baltimore: Jacob Breivogel, father, 68, b. Germany; Barbara, wife, 58; Christopher, son, 34, fireman; Ida T., daughter, 25, dressmaker; Harry J., son, 23, butcher; Bertha M., 21, stenographer; Frank S., 19, printer; all born in Maryland except father, Jacob. Jacob died April 12, 1916 in Baltimore. Ida T. Breivogel died May 5, 1962 in Baltimore, and obit lists her survivors as sister Bertha M. and brother Frank S. Many of this family are buried in Loudon Park Cemetery (Arbutus section, plot 199) in Baltimore, but there is no record of Frank there.

There are several mentions in Baltimore newspapers of Frank Breivogel playing on local amateur teams in the 1910 era, and coaching a local team in 1916.

The 1900 US Census for Baltimore shows the Jacob Breivogel family with a son Francis, born October 1889 in Baltimore.

In 1913, Frank lived in Buckingham, Quebec, Canada, where his daughter Felicia (1913-1987) was born.

In 1918, he was back in Baltimore, and on his WWI Draft Registration card, he listed himself as single, born 11-10-89 Baltimore, MD, residing at 1030 Brantly Ave. – Baltimore, MD., with occupation as butcher. In the 1920 census, he is listed as single, working as a butcher at the Lexington Market in Baltimore. He was still listed as a butcher in the 1923 Baltimore City Directory, and was listed as having a wife, Louise.

Frank and Louise were listed in the 1936 Miami, FL City Directory, with Frank working as a butcher. They were divorced in 1936 in Broward Co., FL, although her name in the Florida divorce index is listed as Dolores.

Frank applied for his Social Security card in December 1936, listing his name as Francis Satolio Breivogel, born November 10, 1889 in Baltimore. The Social Security Death Index lists him as Francis S. Breivogel, born 10 November 1889, died June 1966 in Irvington, NJ. A family tree listing on Ancestry.com gives his death date as June 4, 1966.

Harry J. Breivogel, Frank's brother, was manager of the Laurel Race Track (thoroughbred racing) for several years in the 1920s.

A player named Richard Arthur Breivogel was signed by the Detroit Tigers on August 15, 1975, and played one game for Bristol (Appalachian League) in 1976. No idea if he was any kin to Frank.

Again, I haven't found an obituary for this Frank, and don't have firm proof that this is our T210 guy. But, TSN listed his name as Frank S., and this is the only Frank S. that I've found anywhere with any ties to baseball.

Very nice research Tom.

Vintagecatcher
10-02-2018, 07:42 AM
Thanks Tom!

Patrick

Leon
10-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Just want to say thanks to those who assisted.!!