PDA

View Full Version : eBay question- it blew my mind.

tbob
09-26-2018, 10:12 AM
Purchased an item on eBay in an auction format. I immediately paid through PayPal and received the typical Order email and the typical receipt for payment email. 2 minutes later the Seller canceled the transaction and I got THAT email. Obviously the seller did not get the price he wanted. There was no note that said "item lost" "item broken" or anything else. They simply said the order was canceled. The seller didn't get a strike and was permitted to do this. I was amazed. I received my $80 back right away but I was not a happy camper. Apparently this is not the first time this seller has done this to a winning bidder/buyer.
In the old days this absolutely could not happen but apparently sellers are now allowed to wait until an auction is over and cancel the results if they don't get what they want for a selling price.? B.S. Buyers are not allowed to pull out of an auction hours before an auction ending why can sellers do that? The seller could have put a reserve on the auction.
eBay is going to the dogs.

samosa4u
09-26-2018, 10:26 AM
You can still neg him if you want.

Exhibitman
09-26-2018, 10:33 AM
good to know.

bobbyw8469
09-26-2018, 10:58 AM
Buyers are not allowed to pull out of an auction hours before an auction ending why can sellers do that

No, but I have had NUMEROUS (too many to remember) refuse to pay if they won an auction for what is perceived as a "high" price. Of course, the auctions where the people are just ripping me off get paid for immediately.

Lorewalker
09-26-2018, 11:03 AM
Purchased an item on eBay in an auction format. I immediately paid through PayPal and received the typical Order email and the typical receipt for payment email. 2 minutes later the Seller canceled the transaction and I got THAT email. Obviously the seller did not get the price he wanted. There was no note that said "item lost" "item broken" or anything else. They simply said the order was canceled. The seller didn't get a strike and was permitted to do this. I was amazed. I received my $80 back right away but I was not a happy camper. Apparently this is not the first time this seller has done this to a winning bidder/buyer.
In the old days this absolutely could not happen but apparently sellers are now allowed to wait until an auction is over and cancel the results if they don't get what they want for a selling price.? B.S. Buyers are not allowed to pull out of an auction hours before an auction ending why can sellers do that? The seller could have put a reserve on the auction.

Sorry Bob...That sucks. Rest assured that while a seller can do this, it is not without consequences. eBay tracks stuff like this and it does count towards a defect rate which when it gets to be high enough will result in suspension. I know two sellers who have been tossed from ebay for this vary thing. If you want to help speed the process along I suggest contacting ebay so they can look at the seller's account more closely.

Sean
09-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Who is the seller?

Rhotchkiss
09-26-2018, 11:52 AM
Who is the seller?

+1 ????

pclpads
09-26-2018, 12:12 PM
+1 ????

Need to out him so other N54 members can be wary. Sellers this poor don't deserve to be protected.

bnorth
09-26-2018, 12:39 PM

This has been going on for years and eBay does not care. I/we(2 fellow members) lost a collecting friend because he started do this. He would list a bunch of auctions and then cancel all the listings that did not sell at high prices.

At least the jerk that sold you the T210 sent it.;):D

vintagetoppsguy
09-26-2018, 12:58 PM
You can still neg him if you want.

+1

I think a lot of buyers are unaware of this. Just because the transaction is cancelled doesn't meant that you can't leave feedback. You can and I would do so appropriately.

Fred
09-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Buyers are not allowed to pull out of an auction hours before an auction ending why can sellers do that? The seller could have put a reserve on the auction.

That is total horse crap if the sellers are going to be held to different rules than bidders.

Buythatcard
09-26-2018, 01:32 PM
What the seller did was wrong and it should not be allowed. But, if I had a nickel for every time one of my buyers decided to cancel a transaction shortly after they won, I would be a rich man.

A deal is a deal. I believe that a seller and a buyer should be held accountable for their actions. eBay does not care.

AnkurJ
09-26-2018, 01:41 PM
Is there an eBay problem seller/buyer thread or can one be started?

maddux311
09-26-2018, 01:53 PM
Sorry Bob...That sucks. Rest assured that while a seller can do this, it is not without consequences. eBay tracks stuff like this and it does count towards a defect rate which when it gets to be high enough will result in suspension. I know two sellers who have been tossed from ebay for this vary thing. If you want to help speed the process along I suggest contacting ebay so they can look at the seller's account more closely.

+1

There are different reasons that eBay gives as choices to cancel a transaction and not all count towards your defect rate. One of the reasons that do not count against the buyer is when the buyer asks to cancel the transaction. Contact eBay and make it clear that you did not ask to cancel the transaction.

bobbyw8469
09-26-2018, 02:07 PM
What the seller did was wrong and it should not be allowed. But, if I had a nickel for every time one of my buyers decided to cancel a transaction shortly after they won, I would be a rich man.

What he said..... times 1,000.

tbob
09-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Who is the seller?

doomsdaybook4

I neged him. He has a positive feedback percentage of 85% and still trucking on eBay. :mad:
I guess I'm old school. When you put an item on eBay in an auction and the auction closes, you pay if you are the buyer even if you have buyer's remorse or remember you had already purchased the item earlier and if you are the seller, you ship it even if it doesn't bring what you wanted. Anything else is B.S.

bobbyw8469
09-26-2018, 03:07 PM
doomsdaybook4

I neged him. He has a positive feedback percentage of 85% and still trucking on eBay. :mad:
I guess I'm old school. When you put an item on eBay in an auction and the auction closes, you pay if you are the buyer even if you have buyer's remorse or remember you had already purchased the item earlier and if you are the seller, you ship it even if it doesn't bring what you wanted. Anything else is B.S.

I have lost ONE card in about 20 years of selling on Ebay. I refunded the buyer, and it eventually turned up 4 months later.

steve B
09-27-2018, 08:17 AM
That is total horse crap if the sellers are going to be held to different rules than bidders.

They already are, and have been for years. Everything on the selling side is very biased towards large sellers of new items. All the rest is based in favor of buyers.

steve B
09-27-2018, 08:23 AM
I have lost ONE card in about 20 years of selling on Ebay. I refunded the buyer, and it eventually turned up 4 months later.

I've lost two. One got under the inside box flap when I took a bunch of stuff to the post office. But the buyer was just plain nasty, and had left me a negative without even contacting me about a problem. It was a $3 old weightwatchers brochure... Once I found it, I figured eh, whatever. Put it back in the pile to age another few decades. I did change how I handled the packages.

The other one was an item I had in my store and totally misplaced after 3-4 months. Someone bought it and I couldn't find it. Lots of apologies, refunded, and had hunted for it for a couple days.
The buyer was understanding, and pretty nice about it all. I found the stuff almost a year later, I checked to see if she was still interested and in the same place and just sent it to her for free, along with a couple other ones from the same series. (Disney lenticular postcards)

NotVader
09-27-2018, 12:26 PM
this whole thread is ROOKIE TALK

Michael B
09-27-2018, 03:20 PM
this whole thread is ROOKIE TALK

Says the Net54 ROOKIE!!!!

irv
09-27-2018, 06:15 PM

Are you sure about that? Just reading the negs in this guys profile (most know who he is) it sure seems E Bay doesn't care about much of anything?

Weekly the negs go up as the old ones disappear. Look how many have contacted E Bay yet its business as usual it seems. :confused:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/tripleplayvintagestore?_trksid=p2047675.l2559