PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Smith

z28jd
09-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Today I went to visit the grave site of MLB pitcher Edgar "Eddie" Smith, who was a two-time All-Star (1941-42) and also served during WWII. He's the closest MLB player buried to where I live, so I read up on him and then finally made the arduous five minute trek to the cemetery. I noticed the other day that he didn't have any cards during his playing days (unless I'm missing something), despite playing ten years in the majors.

Anyone else visit an MLB grave recently or have anything neat to share for Eddie Smith?

As a side note, I also visited Johnny V's father for the first time, who was also a veteran and buried about 1,000 feet away from Mr Smith. I apologized for starting his son's card collecting habit.

bgar3
09-20-2018, 12:03 PM
I got know Gorby near the end of his life and helped one of his close friends get Gorby some card show signings, an invitation to the celebration of Feller’s opting day no hitter, and an interview in the local Trenton paper. He had great stories.
Among other things I remember besides being the losing pitcher in the opening day no hitter, he gave up DiMaggio's first hit of his streak, and was the winning pitcher in the 1941 all star game that Williams won with a home run. There were other historical moments he was involved in, but I can’t remember them now.
Thanks for reminders.
I had some Gorby autographs, but sent them to a Net 54 collector awhile ago. If I find anything else, I will let you know.

h2oya311
09-20-2018, 12:26 PM
I had to look him up:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/7d6a8df6

Bruce - that's awesome that you knew him. What's the deal with the manslaughter charge? Did he do time?

bgar3
09-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Derek, never talked about anything but baseball stuff, but the person who introduced him to me was a well known local lawyer.
Wish I could remember the other great events he was in loved in. I will see if I can find the article. I do remember he had a great time when he went to Chicago, and wore the White Sox jacket they gave him everywhere. If I recall he too pitched a great game and the score may have been 1 to 0.

Bored5000
09-20-2018, 02:52 PM
I admit that I saw the thread title and my heart skipped a beat as I wondered why someone was starting a thread about me. :) I am up for reading anything "neat" about me, however. ;)

z28jd
09-21-2018, 11:59 AM
I admit that I saw the thread title and my heart skipped a beat as I wondered why someone was starting a thread about me. :) I am up for reading anything "neat" about me, however. ;)

Must have been even better when you got to the part about me visiting your grave site.

I once went with a friend to my hometown and stopped by at my great-grandparents grave site and she was freaked out by seeing my name on the tombstone for my great-grandfather. My dad, who also has the same name, said he thought it was scary as a little kid. I was pretty sure it wasn't me down there, so I was okay with seeing it.

Hot Springs Bathers
09-21-2018, 12:40 PM
I have a friend and fellow Arkansas SABR member, Dr. Fred Worth that just crossed the 5,000 mark for baseball grave sites visited. He does a power point presentation at our chapter meetings. Not my cup of tea but he really enjoys it and does a great job presenting his travels in a humorous manner.

mrvster
09-22-2018, 07:05 AM
great to hear from you! I visited yesterday! was going to call you.....

call me or email me!

dlfallen
09-22-2018, 10:25 AM
My database indicates two playing period issues for Eddie if that helps:
1939 White Sox team issue
1940 White Sox Lotshaw's

z28jd
09-22-2018, 12:24 PM
My database indicates two playing period issues for Eddie if that helps:
1939 White Sox team issue
1940 White Sox Lotshaw's

Thank you. I'll have to keep my eye out for one.

Leon
09-25-2018, 09:13 AM
That bit definitely made the day, I am sure.

Today I went to visit the grave site of MLB pitcher Edgar "Eddie" Smith, who was a two-time All-Star (1941-42) and also served during WWII. He's the closest MLB player buried to where I live, so I read up on him and then finally made the arduous five minute trek to the cemetery. I noticed the other day that he didn't have any cards during his playing days (unless I'm missing something), despite playing ten years in the majors.

Anyone else visit an MLB grave recently or have anything neat to share for Eddie Smith?

As a side note, I also visited Johnny V's father for the first time, who was also a veteran and buried about 1,000 feet away from Mr Smith. I apologized for starting his son's card collecting habit.