PDA

View Full Version : Cap Anson

LincolnVT
09-05-2018, 07:12 AM
Let's see your Cap Anson cards. I've been looking for a N172 in uniform.

philliesphan
09-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Let's see your Cap Anson cards. I've been looking for a N172 in uniform.

I presume there are many folks that are looking for N172 Anson in uniform. I believe there are about five known examples (one in the NY Met museum), with the last example to trade hands went for well over $50k over a decade and a half ago. I am quite sure that it would be at least a six figure card if and when one became available.

I'd equally assert that such card is in such high demand that it may likely transact privately if one of the few examples extant trades hands.

the-illini
09-05-2018, 11:39 AM
I presume there are many folks that are looking for N172 Anson in uniform. I believe there are about five known examples (one in the NY Met museum), with the last example to trade hands went for well over $50k over a decade and a half ago. I am quite sure that it would be at least a six figure card if and when one became available.

I'd equally assert that such card is in such high demand that it may likely transact privately if one of the few examples extant trades hands.

What Marc said.

Anson in uniform would easily be a 6 figure card if one would come to market and you will have an easier time raising the 250k plus that it would cost (IMO) than you will finding one to buy.

Now if you were just looking for a scan of one, that is much easier to find :-)

Throttlesteer
09-05-2018, 12:45 PM
I can put on a uniform and take a picture, if you want the bargain version.

oldjudge
09-05-2018, 01:53 PM
There are four known copies of Anson in Uniform. Three are in private hands and one is in the Burdick collection at the Met.

Fred
09-05-2018, 02:40 PM
What - somebody didn't steal it from the Met back in the 70s or 80s?..... I digress....

oldjudge
09-05-2018, 05:00 PM
LOL, when I went to the Met in 2008 to do research for the Old Judge book, the Anson in Uniform was falling off the scrapbook page it was on. I told the Met worker that it was a very expensive card and they should be more careful with it. She told me I was wrong and that the only expensive baseball card was the Wagner. Soooo, hopefully it is still there.

barrysloate
09-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Jay- that's outrageous that she said you were wrong. If she has no idea how valuable some of the baseball cards are, someone else should be doing her job. And if the Anson in Uniform is falling out of the album, there is a good chance it will be stolen. That's a terrible story.

tedzan
09-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Jay and Barry

I can top your Met story regarding Anson. Back in the 1990's, I was at the Met checking-out Burdick's collection. Flipping thru pages in his 1933 Goudey album,
I was "stunned" to see the Lajoie (#106) card flapping about the page. It was in a plastic that was crudely hinged onto the album's page.

Like you, I brought this to the attention of the Met employee. He immediately took the album out of my hands. Did not say a thing, but gave me a strange look.

Anyhow, here's my favorite Anson...…

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/websize/N162Anson.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

the-illini
09-05-2018, 06:38 PM
LOL, when I went to the Met in 2008 to do research for the Old Judge book, the Anson in Uniform was falling off the scrapbook page it was on. I told the Met worker that it was a very expensive card and they should be more careful with it. She told me I was wrong and that the only expensive baseball card was the Wagner. Soooo, hopefully it is still there.

That is a crazy story Jay. I would love to see that scrapbook...

sycks22
09-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Here's mine

Fred
09-06-2018, 04:03 PM

I've never been to the MetMu before. Can you please provide instructions on how I could check out the scrapbook that has the Anson in uni card. :cool::p:D

oldjudge
09-06-2018, 04:12 PM
I assume you mean check out as in see, not check out as what you would do from your local library. The only way you can gain access to the Burdick collection is if you are doing some sort of research and can submit proof of that.

ginter
09-06-2018, 06:03 PM
While doing research on T212 players in old newspapers, I came across this article - John Titus, the Philadelphia right fielder, is using a bat that has some history connected with it. In 1894 Captain Anson discovered a piece of timber that he considered ideal wood for a base ball bat and he proceeded to have it turned into a cudgel. Anson in his day merely had to swing it and the ball would go to the fence. It is so heavy, however, that many an ordinary player would hardly care to handle it. When Pop Anson retired from the game he retained this great stick as a treasure. At last when the former star’s belongings went under the hammer Pat Moran, purchased this bat, and when Pat was bought from the Cubs he brought it to Philadelphia. Titus coaxed and finally Moran consented to let him have the bat. His first hit was a home run over the fence off Bob Harmon, of St. Louis. Titus has been batting consistently ever since he came into possession of Pop’s old smasher.

Leon
09-10-2018, 11:29 AM
cool story

While doing research on T212 players in old newspapers, I came across this article - John Titus, the Philadelphia right fielder, is using a bat that has some history connected with it. In 1894 Captain Anson discovered a piece of timber that he considered ideal wood for a base ball bat and he proceeded to have it turned into a cudgel. Anson in his day merely had to swing it and the ball would go to the fence. It is so heavy, however, that many an ordinary player would hardly care to handle it. When Pop Anson retired from the game he retained this great stick as a treasure. At last when the former star’s belongings went under the hammer Pat Moran, purchased this bat, and when Pat was bought from the Cubs he brought it to Philadelphia. Titus coaxed and finally Moran consented to let him have the bat. His first hit was a home run over the fence off Bob Harmon, of St. Louis. Titus has been batting consistently ever since he came into possession of Pop’s old smasher.