PDA

View Full Version : My SGC Experience - National/Post National

KMayUSA6060
09-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Spoiler Alert: Overall, nothing short of excellent.

I picked my SGC submission up today after I wasn't home Friday/Saturday to sign for it. It was a drop-off, 20-day submission I left with them at National. 7 cards in total. They were at my doorstep (or my post office, actually) at the 21 day mark, meaning they were graded, slabbed, and shipped within the 20 days. I called twice - once to see if my grades popped since I never got an update email, and once to see when they would be shipped, again because I didn't receive an update email. I found their customer service to be stellar, helpful, and very professional. The genuineness of their service comes through over the phone, and I was very pleased with my experience.

When I opened the box and saw the slabs, they really popped. I don't know if it's the element of these being mine, but they were much more appealing today than they were when I saw them at National. The numbers are not as distracting as originally thought, and the near gray-scale look really allows the cards to have the spotlight.

I'm confused as to why the Cobb is an A and not a 1. I called and they don't have their notes system up and running yet, but were very helpful in offering a way for me to figure out why it received the grade it did. The other grades I'm VERY happy with.

I highly recommend people continue to use SGC, despite their growing pains and current system troubles.

luciobar1980
09-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Nice! Yeah, as I've lamented in another thread, they received my cards 8/8 and have heard nothing since then with no updated on the (either) website.

DeanH3
09-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Sweet cards Kyle. Congrats! Glad you had a good experience. I want SGC to succeed because I think competition is good. In fact, I want both PSA and SGC to succeed. Thanks for sharing.

Rich Falvo
09-04-2018, 07:09 PM
Good to hear, Kyle. I just shipped SGC my first-ever grading submission today, so I'm very curious about what to expect.

sportscomicfantasy
09-05-2018, 12:35 AM
I am glad you had a good experience and I agree with the others that I think competition is good too. I want PSA, SGC, and BVG to all succeed, but I may be too optimistic.

bobbyw8469
09-05-2018, 07:28 AM
Well, they obviously aren't prepared for growth, or they wouldn't be taking months and months to simply grade cards.

KMayUSA6060
09-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Well, they obviously aren't prepared for growth, or they wouldn't be taking months and months to simply grade cards.

My submission was shipped and returned to me within 20 business days. Not sure where you got "months and months" from.

bnorth
09-05-2018, 07:35 AM
My submission was shipped and returned to me within 20 business days. Not sure where you got "months and months" from.

LOL, maybe he thought it said PSA.:D

KMayUSA6060
09-05-2018, 07:40 AM
LOL, maybe he thought it said PSA.:D

SGC, PSA, BVG, TPG...

3 letter acronyms... 3 letter acronyms everywhere. Haha.

tschock
09-05-2018, 07:45 AM

Same here. Bought a 1928 Yuengling Cobb at the National on Sunday (8/5). Dropped it off at the SGC booth about 15 minutes later. Got it back by the end of the month. Under 20 BDs. And for only $23 for grading AND shipping.

rhettyeakley
09-05-2018, 08:11 AM
I wish SGC well but I can’t be the only one that hates the new flips. The writing on the left is too busy & small and the # grade on the right is WAY too big, it just looks unbalanced and a bit cheap to me. I’m probably in the minority and that is fine but I am not a fan.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-05-2018, 08:12 AM
SGC, PSA, BVG, TPG...

3 letter acronyms... 3 letter acronyms everywhere. Haha.

I think you mean LOL

ajg
09-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Agree 100% with Rhett on the flips. 3 different size fonts and a hexagon to boot all on a small rectangle. Looks like someone grabbed one of my kids stencils.

KMayUSA6060
09-05-2018, 09:03 AM
I think you mean LOL

Well played. ;)

Joe Hunter
09-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Agree that the flips appear a bit clumsy, but have been very pleased with customer service and turnaround time, especially on autographs.

daves_resale_shop
09-05-2018, 10:13 AM
My experience with SGC has been great. Dropped this one off at the recent White Plains show and had it in hand within 10 days. Also really like their oversized holders.

Exhibitman
09-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Look on the bright side, Rhett: odds are the new flips won't be around for very long. I prefer these flips:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/1909-1911%20T206%20Joss.jpg

BruceinGa
09-05-2018, 11:54 AM
This was my first experience with SGC. On August 7 I sent in three cards, two were crossovers and one raw that I won here a few months ago. I received them back today. I'm pleased with two of the three. The third was marked minimum grade not met.
I needed some help with the submission form and customer service said just write a note across the form and they could figure it out. He was correct, they did!
Overall I'm very happy with the experience.

Donscards
09-05-2018, 12:00 PM
I wish SGC well but I can’t be the only one that hates the new flips. The writing on the left is too busy & small and the # grade on the right is WAY too big, it just looks unbalanced and a bit cheap to me. I’m probably in the minority and that is fine but I am not a fan.

Rhett. I hate the size of the grade too. Way too large. I hope they go back to the older flip on the numeral size.

Stampsfan
09-05-2018, 01:18 PM
For a seller at a show, the larger number grades are easier to see if customers are casually passing by your table.

bobbyw8469
09-05-2018, 01:37 PM
PSA is taking months on end. BGS is taking a year to grade cards. Ironically, those are the ones getting the money. You do the math.

tschock
09-05-2018, 01:58 PM
PSA is taking months on end. BGS is taking a year to grade cards. Ironically, those are the ones getting the money. You do the math.

Ahhhh... Because PSA and BGS take longer, you are getting more of their time for your dollar. Got it! (I know that's not what you meant.) ;)

Could be a new marketing campaign in the making. Like H & L Brock (https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/hl-brock/3006658).

MikeGarcia
09-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Ahhhh... Because PSA and BGS take longer, you are getting more of their time for your dollar. Got it! (I know that's not what you meant.) ;)

Could be a new marketing campaign in the making. Like H & L Brock (https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/hl-brock/3006658).

..Every time I , like an idiot, click on a suggested link to an old SNL skit , I lose another half-hour out of my busy life and wind up watching Kristin Wiig attempting to sing "Hallelujah" again...Thanks anyway.

ValKehl
09-06-2018, 12:36 PM

I also agree with Rhett, but I do like the change from green to black.

RedsFan1941
09-06-2018, 12:52 PM
any update lucio?

ruth_rookie
09-06-2018, 02:16 PM

I agree. The grade is a few fonts too large for my taste. Maybe it’ll grow on me, but for now it’s too distracting.

Leon
09-16-2018, 07:30 PM
I agree. The grade is a few fonts too large for my taste. Maybe it’ll grow on me, but for now it’s too distracting.

When I saw the large fonts in a row of holders, today, I kind of liked it!!

oldjudge
09-16-2018, 08:24 PM

I agree 100%

1880nonsports
09-17-2018, 05:59 AM
like Jay and Rhett

#metoo