PDA

View Full Version : Display Cases and Indirect Sunlight

tcalca24
09-02-2018, 07:24 AM
I have a beautiful Pennzoni display case that i bought which claims to have the UV protective glass. It’s well made and looks great in my office. I am displaying graded and raw pre war cards and can’t help but wonder if the cards are safe from UV light. I don’t have anything terrible expensive. Most are T206 and Goudey commons in grades 3 through 5. I even have and older Bucher Gold Coin in SGC 50. How comfortable would you be not doing any long term damage from indirect sunlight? Thanks Ted

rainier2004
09-02-2018, 08:11 AM
I have a beautiful Pennzoni display case that i bought which claims to have the UV protective glass. It’s well made and looks great in my office. I am displaying graded and raw pre war cards and can’t help but wonder if the cards are safe from UV light. I don’t have anything terrible expensive. Most are T206 and Goudey commons in grades 3 through 5. I even have and older Bucher Gold Coin in SGC 50. How comfortable would you be not doing any long term damage from indirect sunlight? Thanks Ted

You don't want any sunlight if you care about protecting the color of the cards. Long term exposure will fade the cards, sunlight is the devil. When I had my cards out I bought a special curtain that had a few layers in it and was designed to absorb all sunlight. I also replaced every light in the room with a LED including my desk lamp.

MVSNYC
09-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Sunlight is a killer, even indirect. I'm not a fan of displaying cards...I've seen too many get faded. Sorry, just being honest.

Jay Wolt
09-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Sunlight is a killer, even indirect. I'm not a fan of displaying cards...I've seen too many get faded.
Same w/ display pieces & autographs.
Know first hand about fading

tcalca24
09-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback and i agree about keeping cards out of sunlight both direct and indirect. My question then becomes how effective is the “ UV Acrylic 100% For Direct sunlight (+ $45.00)“. Are we saying it’s like a condom. Good and effective but not 100%?

JollyElm
09-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Wait, it just dawned on me. Did our mothers put all of our cards up in the attic simply to protect them from the sunlight?? :rolleyes:

conor912
09-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback and i agree about keeping cards out of sunlight both direct and indirect. My question then becomes how effective is the “ UV Acrylic 100% For Direct sunlight (+ $45.00)“. Are we saying it’s like a condom. Good and effective but not 100%?

It's probably as effective as pulling out...mostly.

markf31
09-04-2018, 07:05 AM
Decreasing exposure to all light, especially ultraviolet (UV) should be a significant concern when protecting items such as cards, paper, art work, etc. UV is the highest energy and most damaging light. As an example, most museums filter UV from light sources and reduce light exposure by limiting the number of hours art is illuminated. There are also guidelines for museums intended to minimize damage from light. For example, works of art on paper are generally stored in darkness with exhibition not to exceed six weeks every two years.

Reducing UV is manageable of course but do not believe that just because you are using 100% UV glass in a display case, that damage is not being done to whatever it is you're displaying. Even non UV portions of the light spectrum can in time degrade and damage your cards.

bnorth
09-04-2018, 07:57 AM

UV ratings are not the most accurate when it comes to affecting cards.

I say display you collection.:D

These are probably the 3 main things to do:
1) Make sure your display case glass(whatever product) already is UV protected.
2) On a regular basis use a spray on UV protector on the glass.
3) Rotate your collection on display.

With treated glass and regular applying of a UV protector you can easily reduce the amount of fading. Doing this will make it take around 10X as long to begin fading. The real problem is once the fading process becomes noticeable it accelerates really fast.

The Nasty Nati
09-04-2018, 08:57 AM
What UV spray do you use? I have a Pennzoni display as well.

UV ratings are not the most accurate when it comes to affecting cards.

I say display you collection.:D

These are probably the 3 main things to do:
1) Make sure your display case glass(whatever product) already is UV protected.
2) On a regular basis use a spray on UV protector on the glass.
3) Rotate your collection on display.

With treated glass and regular applying of a UV protector you can easily reduce the amount of fading. Doing this will make it take around 10X as long to begin fading. The real problem is once the fading process becomes noticeable it accelerates really fast.

Leon
09-05-2018, 10:22 AM

I am not familiar with a spray on either. Some things are just made to be displayed and should be. Not a good picture of it but something I enjoy daily. I am sure many other members get to enjoy their collectibles daily too. I never regret having this one archivally matted and framed when I first got it.

http://luckeycards.com/horner1.jpg

BruceinGa
09-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Nice Leon! The filet sets it off nicely.

bnorth
09-05-2018, 06:12 PM

Sorry I have no idea what the brand name was. The stuff I used was for a greenhouse to make the roof last longer.

insidethewrapper
09-05-2018, 06:41 PM
Does anyone on here spray their display cases or glass with UV protection ? If so, any recommendations ?

frankbmd
09-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Sorry I have no idea what the brand name was. The stuff I used was for a greenhouse to make the roof last longer.

Does anyone on here spray their display cases or glass with UV protection ? If so, any recommendations ?

My glass and faced and sided display cabinet has served me well, but has never been near a window or sunlight. Some cards have been in there for more than 5 years with no evidence of fading. However I am not opposed to a belt and suspenders approach to keep my boys from dropping trou.

Therefore I am in the queue for specific product information. Rustoleum, Krylon and Scotchgard have UV spray products, but do not specify or recommend application on glass.

kevlar7
09-09-2018, 05:01 PM
I too would be interested in know if there is a spray-on UV glass protectant. I also would love to know if anyone has seen a 4" x 4" UV ball cube. I have a wood stand that I want to use but it would require a 4"x4" as opposed to a 3x3 inch cube which seem far more common.