PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth St Mary team roster?

Directly
08-30-2018, 05:02 PM
I am looking for the roster for the St Mary baseball team when Ruth played, I assume the other baseball players names were published in the schools year books ? --

Directly
09-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Added photo-- is there reference to be found for other players names in the photo--thanks

jerseygary
09-06-2018, 06:10 AM
I have never seen a key to all the players in that photo you posted, but a call or email to the Babe Ruth Birthplace & Museum in Baltimore should get you an answer if one exists. I'm not sure who their curator is now, but he would be the one to ask.

Unfortunately the school burned down down the 1920's s much of their archive, if they even kept one, was probably lost.

I believe you can locate some St. Mary's box scores in the Baltimore Sun and other newspaper archives at the library or in one of the online pay databases. The school played other schools and athletic clubs in Ruth's day and some of these were reported in the sports pages. A historian by the name of Scott Simkus did an article about 10 years ago for the Outsider Baseball Bulletin referencing contemporary St. Mary's box scores.

If you do manage to locate a key to the players, please post it, I for one would be interested...

TUM301
09-09-2018, 07:44 AM
Hello Tom, like you I`m a big fan of Babe`s St Mary`s days. Been poking around and think I may have at least an avenue for you in your quest. While looking through my paperback copy of "Young Babe Ruth" written by Brother Gilbert, came across page 30, not your exact picture but another famous St M`s team photo. Many of the boys are ID`ed. Now if someone on the 54 could get you a copy of this book page you might be on to something sir. Best of luck, if I was more tech savy I`d do it, but alas "just a ball in high grass". Good luck, awesome subject. Again page 30 of the above referenced paperback. Murph

TUM301
09-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Hey Tom, anyone here a match sir ?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1913_St_Marys_Industrial_Baseball_-_Babe_Ruth.png

Directly
09-09-2018, 11:27 PM
There were up to 44 different baseball teams playing during Ruth's tenure. I will inquire if the Ruth Museum curator may be able help shed some light on the photo's ID's.--I'm especially interested in the players circled in Red--thank you for the link!!