PDA

View Full Version : Off topic (but I trust you guys to help me)!!

w7imel
08-29-2018, 06:42 PM
I bought this Yankee stadium seat from the original Yankee stadium and I am looking for your opinions of what I should do with it. First let me say I only have 300 bucks in in to include shipping so not a large investment. To start the seat is in decent condition considering its like 100 years old but my question is this.... would you keep it as is or restore? All the wood slats are intact except for screws that hold them in, the paint covers 90 percent or close to it. I am not looking to sell or anything like that but the thought has crossed my mind to repaint to original color and mount to a base so that it could be sat in from time to time (such as opening day and yankee playoff games). Any thoughts as to what you think you would do with it? Again not an investment to me but more a fun thing to have. I think its awesome as is but might be a fun project for winter days!! I know not autograph related but like I said you all have always gave me solid advise.

David Atkatz
08-29-2018, 07:03 PM
As they say in the vintage car hobby, "it's only original once."
Leave it the f*ck alone.

RedsFan1941
08-29-2018, 07:12 PM
i would not to a thing to it. every time i look at a "refinished" or "restored" vintage stadium seat, i cringe.

Jim65
08-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Don't do a thing, it looks great as is.

Econteachert205
08-29-2018, 07:25 PM
Maybe tie a cushion on to make it more comfortable? Seriously it's awesome as it is don't do a thing.

baseball tourist
08-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Agreed with the comments thus far. Great looking as-is.

Michael B
08-29-2018, 07:48 PM
I have no desire to own a stadium seat, but that is pretty good looking. The blemishes are part of the charm, no matter when they occurred. I would have no problem affixing it to a base for stability purposes.

Leon
08-29-2018, 07:48 PM
Another vote for, other than a nice little cushion to sit on, I would leave it alone.

yanks12025
08-29-2018, 07:51 PM
1. Dont mess with it AT ALL
2. $300 is a STEAL f

Aquarian Sports Cards
08-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Gotta say I'm also with the don't screw with it contingent.

RedsFan1941
08-29-2018, 08:07 PM
and for god's sake, don't put one of those tacky metal plaques on the inside back of the seat. ugh

Kco
08-29-2018, 08:55 PM
It’s gorgeous as is, leave it as is with all the history tied to it.

Runscott
08-30-2018, 09:34 AM
I agree. But is there something you can do to retard further rusting?

steve B
08-30-2018, 09:39 AM
I agree. But is there something you can do to retard further rusting?

That rust isn't horrible, that sort of dark oxidized surface will actually hold up pretty well over time, especially on thick metal. The reddish flaky /dusty stuff is the stuff to worry about since it holds moisture that leads to more rust.

If it's a concern, a very occasional wipe with some boiled linseed oil will seal and protect it.

Runscott
08-30-2018, 10:57 AM
That rust isn't horrible, that sort of dark oxidized surface will actually hold up pretty well over time, especially on thick metal. The reddish flaky /dusty stuff is the stuff to worry about since it holds moisture that leads to more rust.

If it's a concern, a very occasional wipe with some boiled linseed oil will seal and protect it.

I should have known that - just used my dutch oven last night and wiped it down with olive oil before storing. Just shows how you do things out of habit, knowing you should, without really thinking about why you're doing it.

Stampsfan
08-30-2018, 12:52 PM
Having both original and refurbished seats in my collection, I am of two minds. I use them whenever I have folks over for an event. However, something I learned years ago is having a seat flaking that has lead paint on it.

I refurbished my Boston Garden seat for exactly that reason.

Does it look the same? Absolutely not.

Can it be functional for folks along with the others? Yes.

Is it an actual seat from the Boston Garden? Yes

The health reason overrode the look, IMO. Not wanting my kids (or guests, or myself) subjected to lead paint.

Just my opinion...

Bestdj777
08-30-2018, 12:56 PM
Having both original and refurbished seats in my collection, I am of two minds. I use them whenever I have folks over for an event. However, something I learned years ago is having a seat flaking that has lead paint on it.

I refurbished my Boston Garden seat for exactly that reason.

Does it look the same? Absolutely not.

Can it be functional for folks along with the others? Yes.

Is it an actual seat from the Boston Garden? Yes

The health reason overrode the look, IMO. Not wanting my kids (or guests, or myself) subjected to lead paint.

Just my opinion...

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) tried clear coating it to prevent the flaking? I feel like there has to be a flat clear coat that could be used.

2dueces
08-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Unless your guests decide to make a meal of the paint chips I doubt that there will be any serious health effects.

Runscott
08-30-2018, 03:43 PM
So when someone yells "Get the lead out of your ass", it might just be a health warning after you sat in an old stadium seat?

shelly
09-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Now that was funny Scott:):):):):):):):)