PDA

View Full Version : Applying today's societal lens against the HOFers of yesterday

Throttlesteer
08-25-2018, 10:19 AM
First off, I don't want this to turn political; please don't take it down that path. I wanted to explore how the recent shift in perception of historical figures might eventually impact baseball and, in turn, baseball cards. There's a growing trend to measure or judge these figures against today's societal standards, especially when it comes to issues like racism. Without digging into whether this is right or wrong, do you think there's a potential for this movement to start affecting the baseball world? Could Cobb, Speaker, Cap Anson, etc...become the next focus of this movement? How would it impact the Hall of Fame, baseball cards, or even the historical roots of the game?

Peter_Spaeth
08-25-2018, 11:00 AM
I sure hope not. IMO it's gone way too far when they start renaming college dorms, etc.

oldjudge
08-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Twelve US presidents, including Washington and Jefferson, owned slaves. How should that be handled?

Peter_Spaeth
08-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Twelve US presidents, including Washington and Jefferson, owned slaves. How should that be handled?

And don't forget Lincoln enjoyed cockfighting!!

I say tear down the memorials, remint the coins, rename the streets and cities.

gawaintheknight
08-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Obviously by doing things like retiring Jackie Robinson's number for every team and having the Civil Rights Game every year MLB has done some work to recognize the racism of the early game and try to make amends for it. People can choose who they want to collect and if people choose not to collect cards of racist players then that's their choice, just like it's their choice whether to collect cards of players who used PEDs or who engage in domestic violence. It's entirely legitimate. I can't say whether it will happen, but it's possible. I could say more, but no politics. :-)

jeffmohler
08-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Interesting question!!

I could see some pressure to remove Cap Anson from the HOF. Its kind of ironic that he and Jackie Robinson now reside in the HOF together.

I am against this kind of thing in general. For the most part I view it as an attempt to erase or alter history, although I certainly get why some people would say that we shouldn't glorify a guy like Anson who apparently did all he could to keep the color line intact in baseball.

What would throwing Anson out of the HOF do to his card values? - I doubt it would do very much. I suspect most pre-war collectors would overlook his HOF membership and look instead at his career numbers.

I sure hope I haven't given offense to anyone. If I did, I certainly didn't mean too!

Leon
08-25-2018, 12:06 PM

I say tear down the memorials, remint the coins, rename the streets and cities.

I say we rename the United States because we weren't really united when we gained our independence. Maybe "The United Diversity States?"

gawaintheknight
08-25-2018, 12:08 PM
This is actually a legitimate question and I for one think we as a country should have that conversation. IMO it's more ambiguous for at least some of the presidents than it is for statues of Jefferson Davis, "Silent Sam," etc. The presidents made other contributions to America that have to be weighed against their slaveowning; Davis and others committed treason in defense of slavery and the statues were meant to reinforce segregation and intimidate African-Americans. I'm happy to share sources if you want. (This is history, not politics, right? If not go ahead and delete it with my apologies.)

JustinD
08-25-2018, 12:17 PM
Going way more modern, I think Mantle would never had been able to avoid a lifetime ban for half of his alcoholism stories. If some of them were more well known (thinking of the story about almost shooting his wife in the head as a joke) there could be a whitewashing movement by some.

AGuinness
08-25-2018, 12:35 PM
I am against this kind of thing in general. For the most part I view it as an attempt to erase or alter history, although I certainly get why some people would say that we shouldn't glorify a guy like Anson who apparently did all he could to keep the color line intact in baseball.

Or couldn't it be seen as acknowledging the history and that when darker aspects of people were originally ignored, THAT was really erasing or altering what really happened?

People are complex and have their merits and faults, all of which can and should be considered.

Peter_Spaeth
08-25-2018, 12:40 PM
Are we also going to reexamine every great historical figure to see if they were sexist, or homophobic, or anti-Semitic, because given the context of their times many likely were. What's the point? We should move forward, not engage in token feel good exercises that really accomplish nothing.

Mark
08-25-2018, 12:46 PM
It was my impression that Anson's behavior had already tarnished his image at least a little among collectors.

AGuinness
08-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Are we also going to reexamine every great historical figure to see if they were sexist, or homophobic, or anti-Semitic, because given the context of their times many likely were. What's the point? We should move forward, not engage in token feel good exercises that really accomplish nothing.

In the larger sense of reexamining great historical figures in general, I guess I see the examination of our history, both successes and failures, as a valuable exercise in learning and growing beyond where we are now. As the famous saying goes, those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it. And just a hunch, but I think that people who fit into the categories who were impacted probably don't consider a closer examination as a token exercise.

More to the question of how it might impact HOF ball players - I wouldn't think it would at all. That part of baseball's history has already been a topic for years and I think that there's probably already an expectation that players from certain eras would reflect the societal norms of that time.

egbeachley
08-25-2018, 12:58 PM
I just read yesterday that a 26-year old race car driver lost a sponsor because they found out his Dad said a bad word in an interview from the early 1980s. The father didn’t even know it was bad because he just came over from Ireland where it was used differently.

TheNightmanCometh
08-25-2018, 01:40 PM

It's already been handled. Those men, as well as many others, owned slaves. We had a war that helped end that. We all recognize that those Presidents owned slaves and that was abhorrent. We also know that those same Presidents did great things. Nobody denies the former or the latter. If you ask anyone who exalts the latter, when asked about the former, they'll acknowledge that the former was as wrong as the latter was right.

As for how this will effect the baseball card market. I don't think it'll have any effect because most people's outrage won't extend to the card market. The card market just isn't important enough, in the grand scheme of things. Plus, we're talking about a vocal minority who believes in the erasing of historical figures for past transgressions, and another vocal minority that is willing to placate them.

barrysloate
08-25-2018, 01:56 PM
I don't find it useful to measure old time ball players by the standards of what is happening in America today. Anson was a racist but he lived in the 1880's, so his life has to be examined in an historical context. America was different then. I would be more concerned with how today's ball players and fans comport themselves.

Baseball's biggest problem today is it's kind of boring. Batting average is at a generational low, and strikeouts are at an all time high. That doesn't keep fans glued to the game. So baseball has to find a way to work out its own kinks and make itself more compelling.

As far as the hobby goes there will always be people interested in collecting baseball cards and memorabilia, particularly vintage. If anything, because our society is so damaged, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future, collecting is a way to relax and block out all of the bad stuff. So I am not at all worried about it. The history of the game, and the artifacts we love, are alive and well.

Peter_Spaeth
08-25-2018, 02:06 PM
If you could only name dorms after famous people who had no serious prejudices that would be considered abhorrent today, you'd have to start naming them the way NYC names its elementary schools. It's a pointless and token exercise IMO.

A2000
08-25-2018, 02:11 PM
When the very first sentence of a post is ‘I hope this doesn’t get political,’ the thread will surely become political in a hurry.

barrysloate
08-25-2018, 02:13 PM
When the very first sentence of a post is ‘I hope this doesn’t get political,’ the thread will surely become political in a hurry.

So far it's calm and nobody is fighting...hopefully.

ronniehatesjazz
08-25-2018, 02:14 PM
I say we rename the United States because we weren't really united when we gained our independence. Maybe "The United Diversity States?"

I like it but I think the "Safe Space States of America" has a better ring to it.

barrysloate
08-25-2018, 02:28 PM
If you could only name dorms after famous people who had no serious prejudices that would be considered abhorrent today, you'd have to start naming them the way NYC names its elementary schools. It's a pointless and token exercise IMO.

Would you prefer the "Attila the Hun School of Arts and Sciences?"

Rookiemonster
08-25-2018, 02:40 PM
I also believe we should not compare times. Things were very different. The legal marriage age for a girl was very young( I think twelve).you were allowed to own another human and all of there children. Women had little to no rights and often not believed in matters of rape and other crimes.Children could drink alcohol.We could go on and on with the differences.

I always believe Cobb’s image was hurt by racism. I think people that actually have heard of Ty Cobb know two things about him . He played along time ago and he racist.

As for Cap Anson I know people that know baseball pretty well and don’t have a clue how he was.

Peter_Spaeth
08-25-2018, 02:46 PM

No, but I wouldn't want to rename every school and building and street and city and memorial named after Washington and Jefferson either because they held slaves, or do some other 1984ish thing in the name of political correctness.

barrysloate
08-25-2018, 02:52 PM
No, but I wouldn't want to rename every school and building and street and city and memorial named after Washington and Jefferson either because they held slaves, or do some other 1984ish thing in the name of political correctness.

Well political correctness is one of the hot button issues today, but we won't debate it here.

gawaintheknight
08-25-2018, 02:54 PM
I don't think there are many people proposing renaming all the Washington and Jefferson stuff. However, some people feel it accomplishes a great deal to remove e.g. "Silent Sam" from a university campus - particularly the African-American students on that campus. Why should they listen to someone telling them that they're wrong and they shouldn't have a problem with walking every day past a statue that celebrates their subjugation and was designed to reinforce it?

If earlier generations had the right to put up the monuments, why doesn't the current generation have the right to take them down? If earlier generations had the right to name things, why can't the current generation rename them?

Ted Clayton

Klrdds
08-25-2018, 03:12 PM
Without getting political but paraphrasing something that recently I have told my son... As we judge the past and try to erase and / or change it for good or bad how will future generations view us and our actions in 25-50 -100 years ?
It is impossible to totally understand the past especially the complex personalities of ball players in relation to society for example when we didn't live it. Especially the era from 1880s - 1950s.

Peter_Spaeth
08-25-2018, 03:16 PM
So I should just go out and topple whatever statue offends me without going through the proper process? I'm Jewish, will you support me in eradicating Mercedes Benzes from the country? Daimler-Benz made a fortune producing armaments for the Third Reich, after all.

barrysloate
08-25-2018, 03:46 PM
So I should just go out and topple whatever statue offends me without going through the proper process? I'm Jewish, will you support me in eradicating Mercedes Benzes from the country? Daimler-Benz made a fortune producing armaments for the Third Reich, after all.

Sure, why not.

Dewey
08-25-2018, 04:09 PM
The question is if it will impact collecting. It impacts my collecting.

I collect Jackie Robinson and wouldn't collect Cap Anson. That doesn't make me soft or overly-sensitive or "pc" or in need of a safe space. Though I appreciate gentleness, sensitivity, political right-mindedness, and safety for those under threat. It just means I know my convictions and I know what I want to spend money on to reflect those convictions on display in my home. If the majority collect like me in the future, so be it; if not, so be it. But with a younger (than me) generation raised with social entrepreneurship as a norm, don't be surprised if we see social collecting as well.

JollyElm
08-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Japan attacked us on December 7, 1941, and tried to conquer the world...but now the country is a strong ally of ours. Huh...that's weird...we are friends. We love them. We protect them. But, wait, Ted Williams was enlisted in World War II, right? I'm pretty damn sure he hated the Japanese and referred to them as "J_ps" or "N_ps" and wanted to slaughter every last one of them. But in 2018 those thoughts are simply unacceptable to all the coddled snowflakes, aren't they? Maybe it's time for those idiots to start trying to have that 'anti-Asian racist' Teddy Ballgame booted from The Hall next??

That took me less than two minutes to compose. See how easy it is to revise history to fit a dumb narrative??

rats60
08-25-2018, 04:13 PM

We are naming stuff after a child molester and rapist today. What's the difference? No one is perfect, where do we draw the line? It is becoming common to attack people who are dead and can't defend themselves. Al Stump wrote things about Ty Cobb that we now believe were untrue, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle. What ever happened to decency and letting the dead rest in peace?

As far as kicking people out of the HOF, not going to happen. Just look at O.J. Simpson. These guys were elected for their on field performance. If we start putting moral judgements on players, the HOF is going to have a lot of empty wall space and empty showcases.

Dewey
08-25-2018, 04:14 PM
I don't find it useful to measure old time ball players by the standards of what is happening in America today. Anson was a racist but he lived in the 1880's, so his life has to be examined in an historical context. America was different then. I would be more concerned with how today's ball players and fans comport themselves.

I agree. Like I said above, I wouldn't collect Anson, but I can certainly appreciate someone who would based on baseball merits.

Throttlesteer
08-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Guys, I know this is a sensitive subject and should have known that it would take a bit of a turn. I appreciate that it's stayed civil, but am still interested in your thoughts about the original question. I realize humans are flawed and many historical figures on all sides of the aisle have dark history.

I do agree, it's hard to judge Cobb or Cap Anson using today's standards. Although some were more outspoken than others, racism was still a widely-accepted behavior well past the turn of the century. Keep in mind, Birth of a Nation was the most prominent movie of the time Cobb, WaJo, Collins, etc...were playing. It was a socially-accepted behavior, even though we can look back on it and judge it otherwise. I completely agree with Klrdds; People 50-100 years from now will probably apply similar judgement to the socially-accepted norms of today and think we're a bunch of idiots or Neanderthals.

I will continue to collect guys like Cobb, Anson, and Speaker. I strongly disagree with their points of view and certainly would not celebrate their behavior. But, I also appreciate their contributions to the history of baseball on the field. If they were current players exhibiting the same behavior in the context of today's societal standards, it would be a very different story.

G1911
08-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Keeping politics and personal views out of it, I think that this won’t have much of an impact on baseball cards. There are certainly some individual exceptions, but on the whole, the groups of people who are part of this social movement and trend and the group of people who collect pre-war vintage baseball cards do not intersect.

Klrdds
08-25-2018, 07:04 PM
To the O P I guess your original question could be interpreted 2 ways .
Would it influence my collecting ? Definitely not if I were collecting complete sets involving said player or trying to complete a full set of autographs or pictures with a theme and the said player was part of that theme.
As a player collector , of which I am not except maybe Nolan Ryan , it might influence me a little but I look at the contributions to baseball and their place in baseball history before I do outside factors . I just want the baseball importance and the outside the lines stuff doesn't bother me .
As far as ripping out plaques at the HOF based on character based outside baseball issues and society at the time based issues maybe based upon what I've read only Christy Mathewson would remain in the HOF ...and maybe we should be thankful that social media and the press weren't back then like they are today or he could be out too !!!

Peter_Spaeth
08-25-2018, 07:17 PM
To the O P I guess your original question could be interpreted 2 ways .
Would it influence my collecting ? Definitely not if I were collecting complete sets involving said player or trying to complete a full set of autographs or pictures with a theme and the said player was part of that theme.
As a player collector , of which I am not except maybe Nolan Ryan , it might influence me a little but I look at the contributions to baseball and their place in baseball history before I do outside factors . I just want the baseball importance and the outside the lines stuff doesn't bother me .
As far as ripping out plaques at the HOF based on character based outside baseball issues and society at the time based issues maybe based upon what I've read only Christy Mathewson would remain in the HOF ...and maybe we should be thankful that social media and the press weren't back then like they are today or he could be out too !!!

There's a story where Grantland Rice is sitting with fellow reporters on the Yankees train and Ruth comes running by in a state of undress chasing a woman. Rice turns to his colleagues and says, it's a good thing we didn't see that or we might have to write about it. Different times.

steve B
08-25-2018, 08:38 PM

From everything I've read, Attila was a well read individual brought up as a hostage in the eastern roman empire, and probably had a wealthy romans appreciation for the arts. As a formidable military leader, he also probably had a decent appreciation for science.

So that's a YES!

oldjudge
08-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Personally, I think assigning Anson responsibility for baseball’s color barrier is ridiculous. He was field manager of the Chicago Nationals, but the team, and really the National League, was run by Albert Spalding. Spalding was the consummate businessman. If the public at that time wanted integrated baseball, then there would have been integrated baseball. Sad to say, but the color barrier reflected widespread ignorance and intolerance which took decades to be reduced to the point where the color barrier could finally come down.

steve B
08-25-2018, 09:07 PM
As far as the original question goes, it has already begun to affect baseball. depending on your take on it, in ways both good and bad.

Jackie Robinsons number has been retired league wide. And that I think is a wonderful gesture as far as it goes. Does it neglect the other pioneers? I think so. Does it neglect his teammates and the few other players in the league who supported him in what was surely a very difficult time? Yes. The question is how and how much to honor those pioneers and the people who supported them. That's not an easy thing. Maybe just having Jackies number retired leads people to look at the story a bit more? And maybe that's enough.

The Red Sox and the city of Boston have decided to change Yawkey way back to Jersey Street. At the request of team ownership. And the T is looking at changing the name of the Yawkey commuter rail station.

http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/04/26/yawkey-name-change-jersey-street

I can sort of understand the feeling behind it, but I'm not sure erasing history is the way to handle that. But then, it's only been Yawkey way since 77, so it erased the history of Jersey street. Which was named after the Earl of Jersey.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/2018/04/24/local-news/we-know-who-yawkey-way-named-after-what-about-jersey-street

More named after the office to make the place seem more upper crusty then the actual person. Hmmm..... Named after a statesman from the place we fought the revolution against.... Sounds familiar in some way.

On the other hand, swamp we threw trash into number 7 street doesn't have much of a ring to it, and could antagonize environmentalists....

Peter_Spaeth
08-25-2018, 09:15 PM
It must have infuriated Ted Williams that the Red Sox did not sign a black ballplayer until 1959 or so.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2017/08/29/tom-yawkey-was-hero/lYcloUbjF7m1ZTNYOLctvL/story.html

Nunzio11
08-25-2018, 10:48 PM
Guys, I know this is a sensitive subject and should have known that it would take a bit of a turn. I appreciate that it's stayed civil, but am still interested in your thoughts about the original question. I realize humans are flawed and many historical figures on all sides of the aisle have dark history.

I do agree, it's hard to judge Cobb or Cap Anson using today's standards. Although some were more outspoken than others, racism was still a widely-accepted behavior well past the turn of the century. Keep in mind, Birth of a Nation was the most prominent movie of the time Cobb, WaJo, Collins, etc...were playing. It was a socially-accepted behavior, even though we can look back on it and judge it otherwise. I completely agree with Klrdds; People 50-100 years from now will probably apply similar judgement to the socially-accepted norms of today and think we're a bunch of idiots or Neanderthals.

I will continue to collect guys like Cobb, Anson, and Speaker. I strongly disagree with their points of view and certainly would not celebrate their behavior. But, I also appreciate their contributions to the history of baseball on the field. If they were current players exhibiting the same behavior in the context of today's societal standards, it would be a very different story.

To put a couple little things in perspective:
Cap Anson was born in 1852
Slavery was abolished in 1865...obviously abolishment doesn’t equate to equality.
Ty Cobb was born 1866
Toilet paper wasn’t invented until 1878, 2 years after the telephone 1876.
It is dangerous to pass historical judgement on individuals who lived in a time and society in which most people today can’t even imagine.

Dewey
08-25-2018, 11:53 PM
To put a couple little things in perspective:
Cap Anson was born in 1852
Slavery was abolished in 1865...obviously abolishment doesn’t equate to equality.
Ty Cobb was born 1866
Toilet paper wasn’t invented until 1878, 2 years after the telephone 1876.
It is dangerous to pass historical judgement on individuals who lived in a time and society in which most people today can’t even imagine.

The Quakers promoted abolition as early as the 1680s in the colony of Pennsylvania. "Society" is not monolithic. Reasonably assessing the past is an important part of being a discerning person in the present. The only thing dangerous about it is somehow thinking we will be free from future scorn.

Big Six
08-25-2018, 11:56 PM
Not to mention that Cobb has been painted in a largely negative light through both his affiliation with his biographer and an absence of understanding his troubled background. I don’t think Cobb is the person we largely think he is...and that is unfair in and of itself...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pclpads
08-26-2018, 01:16 AM

True, but only among consenting male adults. :D

GaryPassamonte
08-26-2018, 03:43 AM
American morality, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. As long as white males drive the card market, recent revelations and societal trends will have little impact on prices.

barrysloate
08-26-2018, 03:44 AM
Ty Cobb was actually born in 1886.

SAllen2556
08-26-2018, 04:23 AM
First off, I don't want this to turn political; please don't take it down that path. I wanted to explore how the recent shift in perception of historical figures might eventually impact baseball and, in turn, baseball cards. There's a growing trend to measure or judge these figures against today's societal standards, especially when it comes to issues like racism. Without digging into whether this is right or wrong, do you think there's a potential for this movement to start affecting the baseball world? Could Cobb, Speaker, Cap Anson, etc...become the next focus of this movement? How would it impact the Hall of Fame, baseball cards, or even the historical roots of the game?

I'm sure there are people who haven't collected Cobb because they thought he was an awful person, and now that the perception of Cobb is maybe changing a little for the better, has that impacted prices on his cards? Who knows, but, as a Tiger fan, I admit that it's nice to know he wasn't as disgustingly racist as was previously believed.

I think the Cleveland Indians logo is a pretty interesting debate. Didn't Jim Thome refuse to wear the logo on his hall of fame cap? You could certainly argue that the "movement" you're referring to has affected the Indians.

But overall – yes. I think if it were discovered that Babe Ruth gave an interview in which he, by today's standards, made racist remarks, it would impact his collectibility. Everyone today is scared to death of offending someone. And there are people who use this fear, not to try to improve the world, but simply to gain attention for themselves.

gawaintheknight
08-26-2018, 05:19 AM
Older white males. +1 to you.

Ted

American morality, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. As long as white males drive the card market, recent revelations and societal trends will have little impact on prices.

gawaintheknight
08-26-2018, 05:24 AM
Mercedes cars, unlike Confederate statues, are not built with the purpose of reinforcing and celebrating racism.

Also, Daimler-Benz has in fact taken responsibility, admitted guilt and paid restitution for some of their wartime actions:
https://www.jta.org/1988/06/16/archive/reparations-from-daimler-benz-are-admission-of-guilt-say-recipients

So if you want to have a conversation about reparations regarding the use of slave labor in this country there's precedent for that.

Ted Clayton

gawaintheknight
08-26-2018, 05:31 AM
+1. Lots of white people understood that slavery was wrong and, of course, so did all of the slaves. Thank you for making this point.

Ted

The Quakers promoted abolition as early as the 1680s in the colony of Pennsylvania. "Society" is not monolithic. Reasonably assessing the past is an important part of being a discerning person in the present. The only thing dangerous about it is somehow thinking we will be free from future scorn.

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-26-2018, 06:13 AM
This thread needs a card.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180826/bc6d5d08a08e897ecc5e6e9200761595.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dewey
08-26-2018, 09:03 AM
This thread needs a card.
Agreed. And a photo. :D
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4710/39776831882_b1ccfe54e3_c.jpghttps://farm5.staticflickr.com/4677/25195501647_63bcf0e841_c.jpg

drcy
08-26-2018, 09:09 AM
The problem with judging people 100 or 150 years ago by today's standards is that people today are also pretty stupid and myopic and will be similarly judged by standards 100 and 150 years in the future. Or, as I.F. Stone said, "Each generation sets its own blinkers then claims its vision is unimpeded." Just one error of a know-it-all is that that he claims to know it all.

Expecting, or even wanting, others to be perfect in all ways is a sign of intellectual and emotional immaturity-- and almost assuredly hypocrisy. The vocally morally sanctimonious are nearly always applying standards to others that they aren't applying to themselves. In fact, being sanctimonious and expecting others (but not oneself) to be perfect are psychological conditions if not fronts. Forget others' faults and go see a therapist.

Duly note that many historical figures retain their interest, and collectibility, because they are complex, dichotomous figures: Ty Cobb, Patton, Nixon, Johnny Cash, William T. Sherman, Billy Holiday. Joe Jackson material wouldn't be as valuable as it is today if he weren't associated with the World Series scandal. Al Capone, Jesse James and Bonnie & Clyde are collected and hold interest entirely because they were outlaws.

I've long found it interesting that qualities that make living people social lepers make them appealing as long dead historical figures. I mean, when you read about them, you realize that some of the Western outlaws and Prohibition-era gangsters were essentially serial killers.

Orioles1954
08-26-2018, 10:09 AM
The problem with judging people 100 or 150 years ago by today's standards is that people today are also pretty stupid and myopic and will be similarly judged by standards 100 and 150 years in the future. Or, as I.F. Stone said, "Each generation sets its own blinkers then claims its vision is unimpeded." Just one error of a know-it-all is that that he claims to know it all.

Expecting, or even wanting, others to be perfect in all ways is a sign of intellectual and emotional immaturity-- and almost assuredly hypocrisy. The vocally morally sanctimonious are nearly always applying standards to others that they aren't applying to themselves. In fact, being sanctimonious and expecting others (but not oneself) to be perfect are psychological conditions if not fronts. Forget others' faults and go see a therapist.

Duly note that many historical figures retain their interest, and collectibility, because they are complex, dichotomous figures: Ty Cobb, Patton, Nixon, Johnny Cash, William T. Sherman, Billy Holiday. Joe Jackson material wouldn't be as valuable as it is today if he weren't associated with the World Series scandal. Al Capone, Jesse James and Bonnie & Clyde are collected and hold interest entirely because they were outlaws.

I've long found it interesting that qualities that make living people social lepers make them appealing as long dead historical figures. I mean, when you read about them, you realize that some of the Western outlaws and Prohibition-era were essentially serial killers.

+1,000,000. We always fancy ourselves as advanced and on the "right side of history." Then generations pass! We really are an arrogant people!

GaryPassamonte
08-26-2018, 10:33 AM
+ 1,000,001

Klrdds
08-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Cobb is as very complex an individual in death as he was in life perhaps even more so in death . I will only add this ...as much as he's been vilified since his death as a racist and violent person let us not forget everything he did for his hometown of Royston ,GA which was during his life and even now is nothing but a spit in the road , a dot on a map . Check what he did for that town in his post baseball life and after his death by bequests in his will and you will find a town that is very indebted to him and values him for the benefactor he was to all people in that area. He also set up scholarships for kids also .
Cobb was a very violent product of the times and his family life - an exception to the norm of the times, but he tried to make up for it somehow during his final years .

George
08-26-2018, 12:44 PM
People who think Ty Cobb was a racist should read "Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty," by Charles Leerhsen. This long overdue book tells the true story of the hatchet job perpetrated on Cobb by his earlier "biographer," Al Stump.

sphere and ash
08-26-2018, 01:52 PM
I haven’t read the recent revisionist biography of Cobb, but I will. I’ve always suspected there was a story waiting to be revealed about this man, Alexander George Washington Rivers, who served as Cobb’s assistant for 18 years and who named his son Ty Cobb Rivers. This photo was used in 1927.

Jim65
08-26-2018, 02:25 PM
All these people that want statues torn down and street names changed apparently do not have a problem with having streets named after Elijah Muhammad and Malcolm X, they should at least be consistent even if they are wrong.

aljurgela
08-26-2018, 02:36 PM
It was my impression that Anson's behavior had already tarnished his image at least a little among collectors.

ever own an anson item. i have even sold all of my cobb items except the Punch card that i need for my set... that is just my preference

aljurgela
08-26-2018, 02:47 PM
... so here is my Pete Hill Punch...

I also can recommend a recent documentary on his life... whereby they try to find with baseball's "Black Cobb" was buried... I think that I found it on Netflix, but cannot recall

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201502/pete-hill-baseball-hall-fame-is-this-heaven-documentary-chicago

Throttlesteer
08-26-2018, 03:37 PM
Wow, that's a sweet card.

drcy
08-26-2018, 04:49 PM
I have read neither book, but Cobb had a bad personality reputation from his contemporaries. Perhaps he mellowed with age, and I know nothing about the supposed racism angle, but his bad attitude reputation wasn't something made up after the fact, and certainly not by a single book.

mechanicalman
08-26-2018, 05:12 PM
I have read neither book, but Cobb had a bad personality reputation from his contemporaries. Perhaps he mellowed with age, and I know nothing about the supposed racism angle, but his bad attitude reputation wasn't something made up after the fact, and certainly not by a single book.

I’m not quite sure what your point is.

But yes, I think most men would have had a “bad personality” had they endured the tragedy and hazing Cobb dealt with. He also did mellow with age, even lobbying for Sam Crawford’s HOF admission, despite the latter’s tormenting of Cobb as a rookie.

bbcard1
08-26-2018, 05:42 PM
There is a description that is creeping into our lexicon...he was a man of his time...which generally is used in a weird condescending way where the speaker owns a superiority over the subject. I would like to say I am sure I would not have been one of the people yelling "Crucify Him!" at Jesus Christ. But I'm not that sure.

Anyhow, we will never make any real progress in equality until we cease to define ourselves by our differences...a white guy, a fat woman, a gay barber, etc. We don't do that. We instead celebrate and compensate for our difference.

Wow, got me OT there.

I don't think only a handful of "heroes" of days gone (Matthewson and Johnson come to mind) by could have escaped the scrutiny of the press today. Can you image the stories that would have been generated by Ruth, Cobb, Mantle?

CMIZ5290
08-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Ty Cobb had may demons, but he was incredibly generous with his friends. He took care of Mickey Cochrane (HOFer) and many others.... He was also generous with funds that he left for the community....

topcat61
08-28-2018, 11:37 AM
In my humble opinion -A fair argument cannot be made to judge a person (or ball player) from another era based on the standards we've set for today.

mr2686
08-29-2018, 12:37 PM
In my humble opinion -A fair argument cannot be made to judge a person (or ball player) from another era based on the standards we've set for today.
+1

drcy
08-29-2018, 12:58 PM
Even if someone today tried their hardest to abide by the stand the standards of 100 years from now, he can only guess (and likely wrongly) what they will be.

KMayUSA6060
08-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Anson once tweeted some racist garbage.

Mantle had less-than-respectful tweets about women.

I'm sure one of the other old-timers had homophobic tweets.

Wait, am I mixing too many eras? :eek:

History is not to be erased, but to be learned from.