PDA

View Full Version : Identification Help

BobC
08-24-2018, 02:14 PM
I've got a small pamphlet type book from the early 1900's that includes photos of amateur teams from the Cleveland - Northeast Ohio area. I'm guessing they may be the championship teams of the various leagues. Unfortunately the booklet doesn't list or show a date or year anywhere, but it is clearly very early 1900's. Anyway, one of the team photos is of the Fitwell baseball team, which notes it was the Cleveland League Champion for that year/season. Player No.1 in the picture is noted as Peckinpaugh, and I'm of the belief this is Roger Peckinpaugh. He was signed by LaJoie with Indians right after high school in 1910, and later went on and played shortstop for the Yankees and a couple of other teams, and eventually managed the Indians for a while as well.

He's the player in the upper left-hand corner of the Fitwell team photo. What do you think, is that Roger Peckingpaugh or not?

JollyElm
08-24-2018, 02:41 PM
(Huge age difference aside) I'm thinking you probably have a winner...

commishbob
08-24-2018, 02:46 PM
I'm not very good at this, but....

EDIT>>Darren beat me to it.

Mark
08-24-2018, 02:57 PM
It looks like a match to me. Nice discovery. Peckinpaugh! .

nolemmings
08-24-2018, 03:02 PM
1909 Sporting Life from September says Roger Peckinpaugh was tearing up the (Cleveland) City League at a .450 clip. He graduated in 1909 so it seems that the pic would have to be from that year--maybe the year before?-- for it to be him. He was also considered an amateur in 1909, unlike his dad who had been a semi-pro player, so it would help to know more about the status of the team/league. Definitely a resemblance.

EDITED TO ADD: not his dad, who played in the 1880s and would have been way too old for this pic

BobC
08-24-2018, 04:28 PM
1909 Sporting Life from September says Roger Peckinpaugh was tearing up the (Cleveland) City League at a .450 clip. He graduated in 1909 so it seems that the pic would have to be from that year--maybe the year before?-- for it to be him. He was also considered an amateur in 1909, unlike his dad who had been a semi-pro player, so it would help to know more about the status of the team/league. Definitley a resemblance.

Thanks everyone, I was figuring it was him also. Just wanted to get some other opinions. This pamphlet/booklet I have is multiple pages and has similar team photos of what I guess are champions/significant teams of various leagues from that same year throughout the Cleveland/Northeast Ohio area. I knew Peckinpaugh grew up in Cleveland and lived in the same neighborhood on the near-East side as Lajoie, and that was how he knew about him when he signed him to the Indians in 1910.

I figured the pamphlet/booklet was probably around 1907-08 as one of the other team photos for the champions of the Fraternal League had a small flag or pennant on it that says "PENNANT 1907". Front page has portraits of the President and Secretary of the City Base Ball League, along with a portrait of the Secretary of the Fraternal League. That is followed by 34 different amateur team photos from various industrial, high school, city, church and other leagues from the area. Even includes a few African-American teams as well.

Never seen anything like it before. The pages are about 4-1/8" X 6-1/4", and it still has the original staples in it. Don't know if there was ever a cover on it or not, but the pages aren't loose and there doesn't seem to be anything missing.

This might be the earliest pic of Peckinpaugh as a baseball player that I know of then.

Here's a few more team pics so you can see what I'm talking about, if anyone is interested. Thanks for the identification help.

Leon
09-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Neat booklet and I would guess there would have been a cover to it. Just a guess.. Some early Peckinpaugh cards are cool though I don't currently have any.

Thanks everyone, I was figuring it was him also. Just wanted to get some other opinions. This pamphlet/booklet I have is multiple pages and has similar team photos of what I guess are champions/significant teams of various leagues from that same year throughout the Cleveland/Northeast Ohio area. I knew Peckinpaugh grew up in Cleveland and lived in the same neighborhood on the near-East side as Lajoie, and that was how he knew about him when he signed him to the Indians in 1910.

I figured the pamphlet/booklet was probably around 1907-08 as one of the other team photos for the champions of the Fraternal League had a small flag or pennant on it that says "PENNANT 1907". Front page has portraits of the President and Secretary of the City Base Ball League, along with a portrait of the Secretary of the Fraternal League. That is followed by 34 different amateur team photos from various industrial, high school, city, church and other leagues from the area. Even includes a few African-American teams as well.

Never seen anything like it before. The pages are about 4-1/8" X 6-1/4", and it still has the original staples in it. Don't know if there was ever a cover on it or not, but the pages aren't loose and there doesn't seem to be anything missing.

This might be the earliest pic of Peckinpaugh as a baseball player that I know of then.

Here's a few more team pics so you can see what I'm talking about, if anyone is interested. Thanks for the identification help.