PDA

View Full Version : Ebay whoopsie for a seasoned buyer. Opinions please.

bobbyw8469
08-23-2018, 10:44 AM
I recently received this card from an Ebay seller. Yes, this just goes to show that even seasoned Ebay buyers/sellers can still fall for stuff. When I got this card, I really expected a PSA 4. I received a raw, ungraded card. Do I have a right to request a refund in this instance??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Bowman-Al-Kaline-Detroit-Tigers-23-HOF-PSA-4-VG-EX/263878582685?hash=item3d7063a19d:g:b9gAAOSwZrVbcv5 r

bocca001
08-23-2018, 10:51 AM
I'd say yes, because the item specifics clearly says that PSA was the professional grader (even if the description says "should grade a 4"). There is no doubt that the item specifics and description conflict.

NYYFan63
08-23-2018, 10:53 AM
I agree - you should be able to get a refund for a misleading item description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cozumeleno
08-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Agree with Marc - he does clearly state it should get a 4 but you cannot state that PSA is the official grader in the Item Specifics section if they have not graded it.

ibuysportsephemera
08-23-2018, 11:21 AM
100% Yes! The ad is very deceiving and the photos give the impression that it is slabbed.

On the other hand...you should probably have clarified if it was actually graded so you wouldn't be dealing with this now.

Jeff

NiceDocter
08-23-2018, 11:27 AM
I would say yes although the price isn't bad for the card itself. May not be worth the hassle for the difference. Live and learn..... need to see that PSA sticker in the ad!

bobbyw8469
08-23-2018, 11:31 AM
I would say yes although the price isn't bad for the card itself. May not be worth the hassle for the difference. Live and learn..... need to see that PSA sticker in the ad!

Agreed...I feel like such a fool....looking back now, it is obvious it was not graded........a late night buying spree cost me.

SetBuilder
08-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Using PSA in the auction title for the keyword benefits, if the card is not graded by PSA, should be a listing violation, IMO.

On the flipside, a buyer who doesn't view the photos carefully and reads the description fully is guilt of contributory negligence.

hcv123
08-23-2018, 12:29 PM
Using PSA in the auction title for the keyword benefits, if the card is not graded by PSA, should be a listing violation, IMO.

On the flipside, a buyer who doesn't view the photos carefully and reads the description fully is guilt of contributory negligence.

title - 100% misleading, putting PSA as grading company -misleading

Picture - pretty clear and description even clearer.

So, I think you have legitimate grounds for return, but certainly have a degree of accountability. For $25, probably just live and learn.

Marchillo
08-23-2018, 12:45 PM
Agreed...I feel like such a fool....looking back now, it is obvious it was not graded........a late night buying spree cost me.

I'll take it off your hands for $20.50 in a PWE then its only a $5 mistake :D

Rhotchkiss
08-23-2018, 12:47 PM
100%. The title is completely false advertising.

pokerplyr80
08-23-2018, 02:07 PM

I agree, although that seller was clearly trying to deceive potential customers. A return is justified but I probably wouldn't bother.

JustinD
08-23-2018, 02:19 PM
Rookie mistake but everyone has to take a mulligan occasionally. You can ask for a return but if it fails, it's not terrible to walk away knowing it was really only about a 7 dollar lesson.

bobbyw8469
08-23-2018, 02:29 PM
Rookie mistake but everyone has to take a mulligan occasionally. You can ask for a return but if it fails, it's not terrible to walk away knowing it was really only about a 7 dollar lesson.

Justin is 100% right....the seller accepted a return, but in the grand scheme of things what did I really lose?? Paying $20 for a $13-$15 card?? I'm not gonna hassle with it.

cardsnstuff
08-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Those listings can be reported and subsequently would be removed under trademark infractions.

JollyElm
08-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Everyone is right, it is just a minor thing overall, but his listing was CLEARLY and DELIBERATELY misleading. He knew what he was doing. Even if you take the $25 hit, I would still look to do something about this seller's dishonesty. I won't even mention (as others have) that the pics give the distinct impression that the card was in a slab. There is no way in heck that was simply accidental. If someone is going to go to these lengths (dishonest listing title and misleading pics) to sell a mere $25 card, just think what chicanery he would employ on more expensive items.

mintacular
08-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Technically you should be able to get a refund and in some ways "deserve" a refund due to the title..... However, because the further description is correct maybe you should chalk it up as "lesson learned". I guess it's a matter of how much energy/time you want to devote getting a few bucks back....

On the matter of principle though I do think you are justified to request a refund....

Republicaninmass
08-24-2018, 12:45 PM
I've had people return stuff for stupid reasons, so I'd say the seller should learn a lesson IF he pays for return shipping

bobbyw8469
08-24-2018, 05:35 PM
I'll take it off your hands for $20.50 in a PWE then its only a $5 mistake :D

Stephen...if you want the card, it's yours.....It's NOT a PSA 4 though....more like a 1....2 at the most.

bounce
08-25-2018, 02:32 PM
There's nothing to argue about here. It says PSA 4 in the title, not "should grade" a PSA 4.

This is a clear case of keyword abuse in the title.

If you don't want it, return it. It's not as described.

And I'm not sure that card would grade a 4 anyway.

egbeachley
08-25-2018, 05:11 PM
Title says it is a PSA 4

Description says it should be a PSA 4. That means they are saying it was graded correctly as I read it.

You must return it or you are enabling the seller to continue these shenanigans.

RedsFan1941
08-25-2018, 05:59 PM
at least the card is real