PDA

View Full Version : Cards from photo albums

savedfrommyspokes
08-22-2018, 05:52 AM
From time to time, I have come across cards that have some light indentations around/above the corners. Once in hand, but generally not visible in a scan, it is obvious that the card has these light indents from being displayed in a photo album. Opinions on how a card with these light indents will grade are likely varied.....I would like to know what the various opinions on this topic are.

Republicaninmass
08-22-2018, 06:58 AM
IME they grade a 2, also if there are lines on the back from the album also grades a 2.

You can pick up some great NM cards at a fraction of the price if you dont mind either one!

savedfrommyspokes
08-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Thank you Ted, the reason I ask is because I have heard both ends of the spectrum on how a card with indents such as this would grade. As you mention, cards such as this should grade out as a 2. However, recently I have noticed several larger sellers on ebay mention that cards with indents such as this grade in the range of VG-EX/EX/EX-MT. One larger, higher volume seller mentions the following in their listings: "major grading companies still grade these cards EX to EX-MT depending on the severity, so we do the same. That isn’t the same as a crease as the paper isn’t broken"

Anyone have any grades similar to this come back?

Republicaninmass
08-22-2018, 06:49 PM
I've cracked and resubmitted and STILL they came back a 2 from psa, maybe these big sellers should submit them :D

Exhibitman
08-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Depending on severity, they grade anywhere from the 2 to a 5. I haven't seen one legitimately given better than a 5.

savedfrommyspokes
08-24-2018, 05:53 AM
Having a grade range based on the severity of the indent makes more sense. Some indents can only be seen when a card is tilted at the proper angle, while others would be as obvious as a face with a second nose.