PDA

View Full Version : New member, no longer in the shadows

sportscomicfantasy
08-19-2018, 08:16 PM
I have been lurking in the shadows for a while looking up things on the net and stumbling into net54 threads. At first, I would bypass this sites listing in my google searches, opting for Sports Collectors Digest or other sites. But after finding many top 10-20 listings on google many times, I started to read into the forum posts here. I slapped myself for not being more open-minded when I read the information contained finally in the first few I read as I found just as informative information and sometimes more, then I did in the sites I felt were more trustworthy. I first want to thank everyone for all the information I received in the past looking stuff up on the net and getting it off this site.

Now for me, I am a long time collector first off, started back in the mid-1970's (gray hair now apparent even over the net). I started selling back in the mid-1980's, by mothers force that I had too much crap in my room. We had a two bedroom apartment and my closet had more cards and comic then it did clothes. So I did occasional shows to appease her, just don't tell her I also bought cards while I was selling (shhh, she thought I was a good kid). I have always bought more than I sold, having to keep storage units most of my life to house much of my crap (I did buy too much crap in my early years).

I pretty much stopped when my wife died some years ago, not just buying and selling cards, but most everything. Well, I came back to life and it was much easier buying cards than anything else but I still enjoy it. Though I do buy too much and have too much so I am also sort of trying to sell some things now and then but don't have my heart into that as much as I probably should. But I am sure there are plenty of people on here who can relate to that.

But anyways, I am will probably be posting questions on things I have bought most recently first and then when I dig them out, other things I have bought over the years. I would like to know for selling purposes more about things that I don't exactly know what they are, or more information on them. But also so I could mark them properly when I store or display them in my next dwelling. An apartment is not holding enough room to store or display the things I definitely want to keep. Plus it would be good for the items to be marked because I am sure when I die there will still be a ton of stuff to be sold off by my relatives and it would be nice to help them out in that regard.

Anyways, I just want to say again thanks for the information I got in the past and I am sure there will be more in the future that I will learn from many of you on this site.

1952boyntoncollector
08-19-2018, 08:24 PM
welcome.!

Leon
08-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the forum. It is amazing that anyone finds us through Google as we aren't very Google-friendly. Good luck in your endeavors.

sportscomicfantasy
08-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the forum. It is amazing that anyone finds us through Google as we aren't very Google-friendly. Good luck in your endeavors.

Well, it could have Bing or Yahoo searches. I don't have a great memory now or ever had for that matter.

hcv123
08-19-2018, 10:32 PM
relate to the "too much stuff" part of your story. Caught it early enough that I have been digging out for a few years already. Still have too much, but no need for storage unit anymore. Just a safe deposit box for the good stuff. The way you describe yourself - you sound a bit isolated? I encourage you to get involved here - lots of great folks. All the best.

Howard

sportscomicfantasy
08-19-2018, 10:51 PM
relate to the "too much stuff" part of your story. Caught it early enough that I have been digging out for a few years already. Still have too much, but no need for storage unit anymore. Just a safe deposit box for the good stuff. The way you describe yourself - you sound a bit isolated? I encourage you to get involved here - lots of great folks. All the best.

Howard

Yes, I guess I am a bit isolated, sort of self-imposed and trying to work myself out of it slowly. I have been trying to get back into more things the past couple years. Part of it would be making my place more visitor-friendly and not just boxes of stuff here and there. I do really need to sell more stuff and get a bigger place both. I want to display more things then I have room for where I am so I can enjoy them more. Stuff sitting in boxes I cannot enjoy them much, I love to see the way some people show off their collection in their houses. Thank you for your encouragement too!

BruceinGa
08-20-2018, 05:57 AM
Welcome!!

Leon
08-20-2018, 06:10 AM
Well, it could have Bing or Yahoo searches. I don't have a great memory now or ever had for that matter.

You sound like a lot of the rest of us!! You will fit right in. Just don't ask me what I did yesterday. I might not remember.

KMayUSA6060
08-20-2018, 07:55 AM
Welcome! What are your areas of focus? Pre-War? Post-War?

It is amazing that anyone finds us through Google as we aren't very Google-friendly.

Actually, I have found Net54 popping up more and more when I have more specific/detailed card questions typed into Google.

CurtisFlood
08-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Welcome aboard.

sportscomicfantasy
08-20-2018, 08:37 AM
Welcome! What are your areas of focus? Pre-War? Post-War?

Pretty much anything from hall of famers, when I have the money. I do enjoy the rarer or more unique items. I don't have much pre-war, most is post-war that I have, and I do have a lot of those who became hall of famers most recently from my young collecting days of course.

oldmancards
08-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Welcome! I've been trying to kick the habit for years, to no avail. Just enjoy it.

sportscomicfantasy
08-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Welcome! I've been trying to kick the habit for years, to no avail. Just enjoy it.

Oh, I kick the habit everytime I am out of money, but I am still working so I still buy when I have my bills paid and there is money left over!