PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on rare HOF autographs

tha-rock
08-16-2018, 11:33 PM
Hey guys, here are 3 cuts I have had in my collection for a long time. I have no recollection who I got these from, but always tried to deal with reputable folks when I bought items like this and I have been collecting since the 1970s. These probably came from different folks as opposed to all from the same person. All these were obtained long before there were any TPA's so the only real assurance you had back in those days was the seller's reputation. As you know, the cost of autograph submission to TPAs of names like this is very expensive, so I would I would like to know what you guys think before I decide to send any of these in for examination.

The Bresnahan is black ink on paper. This distinctive "R" is not like what is typically found, however, the Robert Poll 2010 Autograph Reference work does include a version with an R like this. The other letters seem to match.

The Connor is on lined notebook paper and appears to be the closing of a letter since what appear to be the words 'truly yours' is above the signature.

The Ewing signature is in pencil and appears to be the endorsement of a check or some payment document. I have included a copy of the reverse side of the Ewing document.

I'll say one more thing about the persons who sold me these. I never dealt with anyone in those days who later turned out to be a "bad apple" to my knowledge. So the guys who sold me these I believe truly thought they were real when they sold them to me. If you are familiar with any of these, I would like to know what you think regarding authenticity, and thanks for your time.

philliesphan
08-17-2018, 05:13 AM
Given the value of the autographs, if authentic, wouldn't it be worth the $10- for a PSA/DNA Quick Opinion?

swarmee
08-17-2018, 05:33 AM
He'd have to list them for sale for them to be eligible for a quick opinion.

tazdmb
08-17-2018, 07:13 AM
All bad-

Here is the similar one from Coaches Corner:

http://www.myccsa.com/Lot.aspx?LotID=536844

MooseDog
08-17-2018, 08:05 AM
I have a similar Connor, and a Keeler that looks a lot like your Ewing. The Wm is almost spot on.

I purchased both from Max Schrager, way back when. Max was for the most part a good guy, but he sold autographs for a living and I think he bought some bad stuff from time to time, my suspicion is that the ones I have were probably Ron Dross' work, but I'm 99% sure mine are no good. Since both of them are long gone there's really no way to trace any provenance.

Duluth Eskimo
08-17-2018, 09:21 PM
Those are bad, but the Ewing is especially bad

tha-rock
08-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Thanks, guys...

The news was not good, but I appreciate your responses and the link on Connor. You don't know how helpful it is to me to have your opinions before I spend hard earned money on TPA authentication. Kinda makes me wonder about other older HOF autographs I have in my collection. Would you mind looking at others for me and giving your opinions on them? If that's OK, should I post in this thread, or start a new thread?

I'm relatively inexperienced with the net54 etiquette, so bear with me as I learn my way around.

theshleps
08-19-2018, 04:51 PM
start a new one Lamar. this is a good group of folks