PDA

View Full Version : 1884 Lawson's Patent Base Ball game

36GoudeyMan
08-14-2018, 03:41 PM
I've got a set of the 1884 Lawson's game cards and the original box. I see singles for sale occasionally, so I was wondering: is it wiser (for resale) to have each card graded individually, and sell as singles, or sell as a completely graded set, or sell raw singles, or sell a raw set (sets would be sold with the original box, otherwise, sell it separately)? The cards look to be in great shape, and the box is very nice as well, though hardly a mint example.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... thanks!!!

Jay Wolt
08-14-2018, 05:16 PM
I had a couple of sets & to me it was worth it to get them slabbed.
1 set was already in GAI & submitted some of those to PSA & SGC.

Cost alot to have 60-70 cards graded but many were in high grade & sold out quick.
This was 7-8 years ago so not sure what the market is now & within time the pops only get higher.

https://qualitycards.com/pictures/15373753.jpg

Leon
08-15-2018, 07:06 AM
If they will grade 8s and above it's probably worth it. IF they have been used to play the game, as intended and in vg+ condition, then probably not. I have sold some sets and I think I had a few cards graded but not all of them.

I've got a set of the 1884 Lawson's game cards and the original box. I see singles for sale occasionally, so I was wondering: is it wiser (for resale) to have each card graded individually, and sell as singles, or sell as a completely graded set, or sell raw singles, or sell a raw set (sets would be sold with the original box, otherwise, sell it separately)? The cards look to be in great shape, and the box is very nice as well, though hardly a mint example.

Any thoughts would be appreciated... thanks!!!

Cozumeleno
08-15-2018, 10:58 AM
The market on these, like a lot of game cards is kind of weird where you don't get a ton of credit for high-grade ones. I've bought a few high-grade ones before for as little as $20.

A PSA 9 just sold in a Probstein eBay auction in June for only $38 and a bunch of SGC 7s were in the $20-$25 range. To be fair, those were the ball and arm cards that didn't have pictures of players. Those are probably more desirable.

Leon's estimate of an 8 or better is probably right. Even at 8, there might not be a big draw for many of them.