PDA

View Full Version : EBAY Payment Change:

clydepepper
08-10-2018, 02:25 PM
I don't know if you all are aware of this:

One of the sellers I use the most sent this announcement to me:

Starting sometime in September (TBD) we will NOT be accepting Paypal payments. Instead we are moving to ebay s new payment method, where you would upload your Credit Card/Debit/Gift Card information through ebay, and send your payment that way.

We wanted to give our customers a heads up, because we understand this is a change and sometimes change is hard. But this change will become permanent once ebay and Paypal send their relationship.

I have heard nothing officially from either EBAY or Paypal about this.

Brian Van Horn
08-10-2018, 02:32 PM
I clicked on this post with all of the joy of picking up a live hand grenade with the pin pulled. I'll pass on this if I can.

bnorth
08-10-2018, 02:45 PM
I rarely buy on eBay but I noticed the credit card option last night. Not sure how long it has been there.

ibuysportsephemera
08-10-2018, 02:48 PM
This has been in the works for many many months now. Eventually the only way to pay will be eBay's own payment service.

Jeff

Jobu
08-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Not sure about this - wasn't PayPal fully owned by eBay for a long time and eBay decided to split them off? (i.e., they already had their own payment service)

I assume this change is being made to eliminate Paypal as a potential avenue for a buyer & seller to contact each other outside of Ebay.

This has been in the works for many many months now. Eventually the only way to pay will be eBay's own payment service.

Jeff

icollectDCsports
08-10-2018, 04:08 PM
Will the new payment system require buyers to link to a verified bank account, or will you be able to run it solely through a credit card? Thanks in advance for any more specifics on how this will be set up.

ibuysportsephemera
08-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Not sure about this - wasn't PayPal fully owned by eBay for a long time and eBay decided to split them off? (i.e., they already had their own payment service)

I assume this change is being made to eliminate Paypal as a potential avenue for a buyer & seller to contact each other outside of Ebay.

Correct on both points. After eBay and Paypal split, there was an agreement that for a number of years they would continue to do business together. That time has now expired and eBay is implementing their own payment service.

Jeff

ibuysportsephemera
08-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Will the new payment system require buyers to link to a verified bank account, or will you be able to run it solely through a credit card? Thanks in advance for any more specifics on how this will be set up.

I have not read yet the requirements for the eBay payment service. I do know that it is in beta testing.

Jeff

toledo_mudhen
08-11-2018, 02:47 AM
I also assume that the seller fees on receiving the payment will still be there (or increased).

Credit Card on File is probably the absolute easiest way for eBay to process a payment (not much programming there).

There has never been a better time for one (or more) of you "smart" guys to set up the next big online auction site (IBay?).

MikeGarcia
08-11-2018, 07:40 AM
I also assume that the seller fees on receiving the payment will still be there (or increased).

Credit Card on File is probably the absolute easiest way for eBay to process a payment (not much programming there).

There has never been a better time for one (or more) of you "smart" guys to set up the next big online auction site (IBay?).

I was thinking along the lines of "54-Bay" or "Leonville" because we'll need deep pockets ...

bmattioli
08-11-2018, 07:54 AM
I highly doubt eBay will ever make it difficult for the buyer to pay for a purchase. They ain't that dumb..

D. Bergin
08-11-2018, 09:42 AM
As somebody mentioned already, this is in Beta right now. Apparently the seller mentioned in the first post agreed to be part of the beta program. Then Ebay decided to hamstring to sellers who agreed to be in their program and actually try and help them out, and told them they can't ever opt out once they are in, and they can no longer accept Paypal.

Really one of the silliest things I've ever seen Ebay do.

It's really amazing how many times they've shot themselves in the foot, simply so they can limit interaction between buyer and seller, and save themselves a few pennies in off site deals.

They've cost themselves big money AND customers hand over foot, literally chasing pennies and trying to bring down the hammer on all their sellers in the process.

Total greed move, spinning off Paypal to raise funds, and then deciding to sabotage it, and start all over again from scratch.

It's all very slimy.

samosa4u
08-11-2018, 10:52 AM
https://www.recode.net/2018/1/31/16957212/ebay-adyen-paypal-payments-agreement

Here is an article from January that might interest you guys.

MikeGarcia
08-11-2018, 12:15 PM
https://www.recode.net/2018/1/31/16957212/ebay-adyen-paypal-payments-agreement

Here is an article from January that might interest you guys.

..thanks for that link ; excellent journalism/reporting ; I signed up just to stay in the loop..

rdwyer
08-11-2018, 03:01 PM
No more paypal statements? I'm for that. Hopefully eBay won't report the sales. (?)

Lorewalker
08-11-2018, 04:40 PM
No more paypal statements? I'm for that. Hopefully eBay won't report the sales. (?)

ebay is going to send annual statements reporting sales. They will be required to once they take over control of making payments to sellers.

And I agree with the other person who said this is a slimy move by ebay. They have framed it in such a way to show how great this will be for sellers but it looks like a nightmare and all for the purpose of attempting to keep all sales within the site...for the safety of the buyers, of course.

ajjohnsonsoxfan
08-11-2018, 07:11 PM
looks like Paypal will still be a checkout option

Nonsensename1
08-11-2018, 10:17 PM
I am not sure if this is a good move for buyers or sellers, but this is a no brainer for eBay.

They no doubt have equity in the new processor and will jump start that business. PayPal’s market cap is twice ebays and since the split they gave a chance to use their platform to leverage their base to build up another platform. They are trying to replicate the value creation their platform provides.

The recode article is the best, concise explanation of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clydepepper
08-12-2018, 04:14 AM
This will surely be the death of PFF

… those revenues previously lost, will now go into EBAY's greedy little fingers!

Guess I'll start taking personal checks on BST...

mainemule
08-13-2018, 04:12 PM
...anyone know what shipping methodology will be in play? Paypal shipping is so easy to use.