PDA

View Full Version : Poll: should PSA adopt a qualifier for exceptional centering?

Peter_Spaeth
08-05-2018, 07:11 PM
I think this is a simple yes or no in terms of the poll part of it.

lowpopper
08-05-2018, 07:20 PM
PCGS (same company as PSA) has put positive qualifiers on
their coins for many years now. Although the majority of us
who are “in the know” can make our own judgement calls,
the more novice consumer can certainly benifit from this concept.

Also, for what it is worth, I like what Card Country is trying to do
with their PC stickers.

This is coming directly from the Purple guy. :D

vintagebaseballcardguy
08-05-2018, 07:21 PM
No. If I can't judge centering for myself, I don't need to be spending $ on cards. Also, if a TPG is going to add a qualifier for exceptional centering, we might as well do it Beckett style a break down all of a card's aspects.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MVSNYC
08-05-2018, 07:24 PM
I voted no.

If a card grades an 8 in most categories, for example, but is exceptional in one (or more) particular area (centering, registration, color, corners, etc), but is not quite a 9...it should then grade an 8.5 (in theory). This is what half grades are for.

conor912
08-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Absolutely not. Centering is a criteria, just like corners, creases, etc. It should be baked into the grade. You start separating those out and the whole system becomes even more of a mess than it already is.

Shankweather
08-05-2018, 08:01 PM
The simpler the system the better. We can look at a PSA 10 and see with our eyes whether it's 50/50 or 55/45. And if we want to know if it's 50/50 instead of 51/49 then eye roll emoji.

jefferyepayne
08-05-2018, 08:01 PM
I'm in favor of less qualifiers vs. more. So I would say 'no'.

jeff

PiratesWS1979
08-05-2018, 08:33 PM
I vote yes. Why, because it's starting to seem like the average collector has no clue and needs to be spoon fed.

KMayUSA6060
08-05-2018, 08:49 PM
I voted no.

Instead, put why it's graded what it is on the back of the flip.

drcy
08-06-2018, 01:44 AM
Yes definitely, and there should also be qualifiers to for when the sky is blue, the grass is green and when the water is wet for collectors who can't determine those things either.

At some point-- say when he has to be told that a card is rectangular or the 1971 Topps borders are black or that a card is perfectly centered or that an autograph is Mint--, that a collector doesn't deserve to own a card. "Sorry, you're too stupid. Please, join another hobby."

chalupacollects
08-06-2018, 06:03 AM
Since it is just one part of the grading process, if you were to put the notation on it for centering than you might as well go back to Beckett's 4 score process...

barrysloate
08-06-2018, 06:55 AM
I said no because anyone can easily look at a card and determine if it is well centered. We don't need somebody else to do what we can do ourselves. Keep it simple.

insidethewrapper
08-06-2018, 07:04 AM
NO qualifiers ! There are guidelines in reference to centering for each grade, use them ! How can a card be a "9" with poor centering / etc ? It must be centered , as per guideline , to get that grade.

ruth_rookie
08-06-2018, 07:05 AM
If a card grades an 8 in most categories, for example, but is exceptional in one (or more) particular area (centering, registration, color, corners, etc), but is not quite a 9...it should then grade an 8.5 (in theory). This is what half grades are for.

As I was voting “no” I was mentally preparing the written defense of my decision. No need for me to explain my decision now, since MVSNYC suppliied my exact theory. In fact, I couldn’t have said it any better. IMO that’s what the half grade should be for. A technical 7 with damn near perfect centering should become a 7.5... not a 7 with a goofy little sticker.

jcc6252
08-06-2018, 08:59 AM
No. If my net54 memory serves me correctly, some collectors even have differing opinions on what is considered centered for certain issues, such as T206. Is the name part of the border (my choice), or does the border start after the name?

Republicaninmass
08-06-2018, 09:35 AM
a collector doesn't deserve to own a card. "Sorry, you're too stupid. Please, join another hobby."

Now THESE must be the guys paying higher for a PWCC auction when a buy it now exists for less! Send them my way

ruth_rookie
08-06-2018, 09:50 AM
We’ve heard a lot of reasons supporting folks’ “no” votes. I’m curious about the reasons for the affirmative. Anyone care to share their “yes” logic?

Lorewalker
08-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Definite no. Not sure there is anything more obvious than the centering on a card and of all the attributes upon which a card is assessed for the grade, centering is the only one that is not subjective. Premiums are already being paid for well centered cards. Feels more like a gimmick for those who are caught up in cards being centered.

The Nasty Nati
08-06-2018, 10:39 AM
PSA sort of already does that with the .5 grades.

brian1961
08-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Absolutely not. The last thing we need is for PSA to have another lasso of leverage to have millions of previously-graded cards hauled back to them, just to have PSA study each one for a few seconds, and change the cert. In all likelihood, arguments would erupt, hearts would be punched with pain, and PSA stock will ascend with all the influx of business.

Collectors delight in gauging centering themselves, and the great pieces are pure "res ipsa loquitur" --- that great Latin phrase meaning, at least in the collectibles world,

The thing speaks for itself.

--- Brian Powell

Griffins
08-06-2018, 11:15 AM
PSA sort of already does that with the .5 grades.

Exactly. When they went to half point grades Joe Orlando said it was basically for exceptional centering, and .5 grade was really closer to .8

Was hoping someone would ask if it goes to 11, but it didn't happen.

AGuinness
08-06-2018, 12:44 PM
No for me. There are already enough uneducated collectors who buy the slab and not the card, we don't need to exacerbate the problem.

BUT, if anyone were to do it, it should be a TPG. The stickers that sellers add to slabs noting exceptional centering are ridiculous. Everyone should take the grading done by TPG with a grain of salt (not to mention that everyone should be familiar with TPG guidelines that would indicate what the centering limits are for a grade), but any sticker - or other denotation - a seller adds to a card should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt, because they're express purpose is to sell the card and maximize profit and/or turnaround time (I don't have a problem with maximizing either of these, as that is their business).

Centering is baked into the price. If there is any question about why cards are priced as they are, it's an opportunity for the seller and potential customer to discuss the card's attributes. That's also the opportunity for the potential customer to learn more about the card and grow as a collector. Qualifiers, and in particular stickers added by sellers, would curtail this opportunity, I think.

We need more educated collectors, not collectors who buy slabs or qualifiers.

52ToppsMantle
08-06-2018, 12:46 PM
My answer is no. I think the PSA grading scale works well as it is. Don't see a need to inject some new disclaimer that sellers would use to jack up the price even more.

pokerplyr80
08-06-2018, 05:22 PM
Exactly. When they went to half point grades Joe Orlando said it was basically for exceptional centering, and .5 grade was really closer to .8

Was hoping someone would ask if it goes to 11, but it didn't happen.

I believe the half grades were supposed to be for exceptional eye appeal, with more consideration given to centering. But I have seen plenty of off centered cards that got the half grade bump as well as many dead centered cards that did not. Looks like I'm in the minority but I voted for the positive qualifier.

swarmee
08-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Current tally is 149-19.

Throttlesteer
08-06-2018, 06:16 PM
I'll first say "no", I don't believe it needs to be any more complicated. But, I will say that the .5 bump PSA added is WAY too darn subjective. Even more so than the whole grades. I have 2's that present as 4s or 5s with outstanding centering and eye appeal, no half grade. Then other, off-center worn examples get the bump. Whole grades do have some specific standards, albeit very subject (e.g. is the crease sort of a corner or major enough to be a 2 instead of a 3). But, .5 can't really be attributed to anything other than the grader feels a little extra happiness when grading the card.

Peter_Spaeth
08-06-2018, 06:57 PM
I was fine with 1-10 whole grades only. Actually I would have been fine with 1-9. Within the grade, of course, there was a spectrum and you usually paid accordingly. A grading company can only tell you so much, people have to use their own eye and judgment instead of having everything spoonfed.