PDA

View Full Version : Let's All Remember Thurman Munson Today...

JollyElm
08-02-2018, 05:42 AM
I am proud to do this every year and today, August 2, I do it again.

Thirty nine years ago today we New Yorkers, we baseball fans, we human beings lost the Captain way too soon. Sure, it was said #15 was a curmudgeon and a bit of a grouch to people around him, but he was also a freakin' skilled and tough-as-nails leader who led the Yanks (and the ridiculous circus the Bronx Bombers had become) to three straight World Series appearances and two world championships. As long as I live, I will never ever forget hearing the heartbreaking news from my brother on that hot August day. His loss and the shock of being confronted by something so horribly earth shattering still saddens me to my very core, and I'm sure many others share these same feelings.

So, if you got something to say, please do so.

Continue to rest in peace, Thurm. You will always be truly missed.

Promethius88
08-02-2018, 11:19 AM
I too remember that day as a 9 year old. Just becoming a baseball fan(Cubs) a couple years earlier, the Yankees were my back up team as I watched them in the playoffs and World Series. Mom would let me stay up late to watch the night games and these are my earliest memories of baseball. I was in total shock as that was the first person in sports that I followed that had ever passed away and I just couldn't understand how that could happen to someone so young and was still playing the game. His 1978 Topps card was also one of the first I ever pulled from a pack and still enjoy looking at it today. RIP!

steve B
08-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Even as a fan of the rival team, the news was a bit of a shock. And he was missed, the Yankees just weren't the same for a while.

bigred1
08-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Interesting article on msn today.

batsballsbases
08-02-2018, 08:20 PM
My favorite player and had the chance to meet him several times. My (His) 1977 World Series Game jersey. Still remember that day like it was yesterday...