PDA

View Full Version : T206 Cobb (Bat-Off) 7.5 Sale on eBay

robw1959
07-28-2018, 10:22 PM
I followed this one purely out of curiosity. Can anyone explain the relatively low final amount? I mean $3500 is about right for an SGC 4.5 version of this issue, right? Here's the link . . .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Ty-Cobb-HOF-Bat-Off-Shoulder-Sweet-Caporal-350-460-SGC-86-7-5-HIGH-END/382529137429

Bicem
07-28-2018, 10:26 PM
Still 8 days to go.

DeanH3
07-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Maybe the older holder will keep people away. SGC will not honor the grade since it pre-dates the 2 grade label.

JustinD
07-28-2018, 10:33 PM
Still 8 days to go.

Yep, plenty to happen in more than 8 days. It won't sell for close to that, especially now that it's been called out.

Did you really mean to post that link or did you get duped by the eBay redirect on closed auctions?

robw1959
07-28-2018, 10:34 PM
Sorry, I somehow thought it had ended already . . . long day has gotten to me, I guess! It will be interesting to see where it ends up though, right?

Rhotchkiss
07-29-2018, 07:04 AM
Maybe the older holder will keep people away. SGC will not honor the grade since it pre-dates the 2 grade label.

Dean, what do you mean by this? Because it doesn’t have the one-digit equivalent on the flip, SGC will not honor the flip?

Peter_Spaeth
07-29-2018, 07:44 AM
Is the bottom edge curved or just the scan?

Peter_Spaeth
07-29-2018, 07:45 AM
Dean, what do you mean by this? Because it doesn’t have the one-digit equivalent on the flip, SGC will not honor the flip?

It won't automatically reholder, no. That is SGC's policy with respect to cards graded by old (pre 2004 or so) ownership.

Republicaninmass
07-29-2018, 08:02 AM
It won't automatically reholder, no. That is SGC's policy with respect to cards graded by old (pre 2004 or so) ownership.

So much for the G ( guarantee ) in SGC

I had no idea

RedsFan1941
07-29-2018, 08:32 AM
i did not know that either

DeanH3
07-29-2018, 09:03 AM

This is my understanding as well. Flips without the dual grades will not be guaranteed by SGC. Those were graded under the previous ownership.

Rhotchkiss
07-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. So this card was graded under previous ownership and new ownership, who has been in place for 14+ years, won’t stand behind the grades and work of its predecessor?

Peter_Spaeth
07-29-2018, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys. So this card was graded under previous ownership and new ownership, who has been in place for 14+ years, won’t stand behind the grades and work of its predecessor?

For good reason, in my opinion... just saying.

Rhotchkiss
07-29-2018, 10:18 AM
Good to know, thanks. But certainly troubling - they are basically saying anything done before new ownership is unreliable, which begs the question, why buy the company and it’s fundamentally unreliable product?

Peter_Spaeth
07-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Good to know, thanks. But certainly troubling - they are basically saying anything done before new ownership is unreliable, which begs the question, why buy the company and it’s fundamentally unreliable product?

Tiny operation -- change who's in charge of grading and you have a brand new company.

vintagebaseballcardguy
07-29-2018, 11:03 AM
I have a Namath rookie with the old label. Not terribly worried about it as it is VG.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gratefuldog3
07-29-2018, 11:45 AM
If SGC isn't going to stand behind the older grades, are those cards still acknowledged on their population report? If the answer is yes, something is very wrong.

CMIZ5290
07-29-2018, 04:10 PM
There is a lot to be said about the above arguments. Having said that, older graded SGC cards have never bothered me. Like GAI, when they first came out they were almost comparable to PSA price wise, but the newness wore out. This card is a 6 IMO.....

Peter_Spaeth
07-29-2018, 04:34 PM
There is a lot to be said about the above arguments. Having said that, older graded SGC cards have never bothered me. Like GAI, when they first came out they were almost comparable to PSA price wise, but the newness wore out. This card is a 6 IMO.....

IMO they had two issues under the old regime. One, they barely counted centering. Two, they put more than their share of bad cards in slabs. IMO.

Leon
07-29-2018, 05:31 PM
I sold a Just So to Olbermann, on ebay, about 15+ yrs ago. I didn't remember about his Doyle fiasco (I think that was it) and told him he didn't need to worry as the Just So was graded by SGC. I got a good story told to me after that.

IMO they had two issues under the old regime. One, they barely counted centering. Two, they put more than their share of bad cards in slabs. IMO.

Scocs
07-29-2018, 08:53 PM
What’s the Just So story?

Stampsfan
07-29-2018, 09:20 PM
For good reason, in my opinion... just saying.

Then why buy the company, and consequently the name? If the historical standards are sub par, why buy the company? Usually you are buying the previously established name, familiarity, and credibility, along with an established sales record and an existing customer base.

When you buy a brand name, you are buying the good with the bad. Otherwise, just start up your own company.

"I'm buying a company, but their reputation isn't that great so I am not going to honor their old warranties."

Sean
07-29-2018, 09:29 PM
What’s the Just So story?

It's the story of Keith buying a T206 Doyle Nat'l variation, graded by SGC. It turned out that the card was doctored.

steve B
07-29-2018, 09:29 PM
It's way easier to buy something that's already up and running.
Look at the handful of new grading companies in the last few years and the reaction to them here. That says all you need to know about how hard getting started is.
I'd rather buy GAI than start from scratch - unless I was going to do something genuinely novel. And even then maybe

Peter_Spaeth
07-30-2018, 05:14 AM
Then why buy the company, and consequently the name? If the historical standards are sub par, why buy the company? Usually you are buying the previously established name, familiarity, and credibility, along with an established sales record and an existing customer base.

When you buy a brand name, you are buying the good with the bad. Otherwise, just start up your own company.

"I'm buying a company, but their reputation isn't that great so I am not going to honor their old warranties."

The collecting public at large was not necessarily aware of the issues, as I recall SGC had a good reputation. And much easier to buy an existing industry player with a facility equipment and materials in place than start from scratch. Anyhow, just speculating, can't speak for Dave.

sportscardpete
07-30-2018, 08:24 AM
regardless of the flip, it's still a really nice card! Sometimes the nuances of grades get in the way of a great card.

pokerplyr80
07-30-2018, 08:56 AM

I wasn't collecting at that time, but did they offer a certain time period when collectors would be allowed to submit these cards for a reholder? Maybe they had a cutoff date after which the old labels wouldn't be honored.

Touch'EmAll
07-30-2018, 09:39 AM
Years ago there were many SGC vs. PSA threads and responses. As I recall, a lot of folks here preferred SGC for various reasons. Were we all that much out to lunch plugging SGC? Was the cumulative expertise of this board's members sub-par? Has PSA done so much a better job throughout the years? I suspect the answers are no, no and no. We could talk about that T206 Wagner - gee, its in a PSA slab.

gratefuldog3
07-30-2018, 05:05 PM
I spoke with SGC today regarding the aforementioned concerns. I was told that they treat all cards that are submitted for regrading, or re-encapsulation the same, whether or not the card is 1 year old, or 20 years old. If during the process the card gets a downgrade, I was told that they reimburse the difference. Oh boy!! I know that sucks and is totally a bunch of garbage considering the rarity of some of these cards. How might that figure be agreed upon on my Old Mill Jackson that is now considered trimmed ? Just a hypothetical point. Seems they're trying to do the right thing. Why would they downgrade a card knowing they're advertising paying the difference? The easy thing to do is to just give it a re-slab, and out the door it goes. I'm frustrated by this entire topic, but I'm still choosing SGC over PSA..

Scott