PDA

View Full Version : Addiction defined

Edward
07-21-2018, 07:09 AM
I got out for a while. Couldn't afford it. The pond tempted. It remained part of my brain. Do I look at an heirloom and see a cobb? Yes. You might be an addict.
Do I postpone other people's birthdays for a common? Yes. You might be an addict.
Is this insane?

realbigfatdog
07-21-2018, 07:24 AM
Collecting is the strongest addiction on earth. And it is addicting, no matter what you collect. I'm thankful that collecting cards takes up less space than a lot of the stuff my friends collect, or things I used to collect. Their size also makes those mail days easier to conceal from the "hobby police" (aka, my wife). Well, usually anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Leon
07-22-2018, 07:00 PM
Collecting is the strongest addiction on earth. And it is addicting, no matter what you collect. I'm thankful that collecting cards takes up less space than a lot of the stuff my friends collect, or things I used to collect. Their size also makes those mail days easier to conceal from the "hobby police" (aka, my wife). Well, usually anyway.

Collecting smalls is much easier than larges, all the way around :). I thought about collecting some cars one time. Then thought again as they are kind of big to store.

GasHouseGang
07-22-2018, 07:35 PM

I laughed out loud with your "hobby police" comment! I'm the only collector in the family, so I certainly identify with that comment.

insidethewrapper
07-22-2018, 08:17 PM
I always volunteer to get the mail each day. Sort it out before it reaches the "hobby police".

JoeDfan
07-23-2018, 09:49 AM
I try to wrap it discretely in the weekly drug store flyer, and quietly take that into the baseball room unnoticed.

But I cannot do that with bats. So now I try to race home and get the mail before the aforementioned "hobby police" gets home.

commishbob
07-23-2018, 10:11 AM
I always volunteer to get the mail each day. Sort it out before it reaches the "hobby police".

I try to wrap it discretely in the weekly drug store flyer, and quietly take that into the baseball room unnoticed.

But I cannot do that with bats. So now I try to race home and get the mail before the aforementioned "hobby police" gets home.

And here I was thinking I was the only one to do exactly these exact same things. :cool::D

pherbener
07-23-2018, 10:17 AM
And here I was thinking I was the only one to do exactly these exact same things. :cool::D

I think there are more of us than anyone thought!:D

tedzan
07-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Collecting smalls is much easier than larges, all the way around :). I thought about collecting some cars one time. Then thought again as they are kind of big to store.

Hey Leon

Besides vintage cards, I collect vintage T-Birds, so I know of what you are saying. However, I have run out of garages (we have five). So I've had to limit
my collecting these great "American heavy metal" oldies but goodies.

By the way guys.....the "hobby police" can be very detrimental to your collecting addictions. You cannot win. Unless you marry (or date) one who also has
a collecting addiction (for whatever). And if she currently doesn't have such an addiction, by all means encourage her to find one. Trust me, you'll find this
suggestion really works. I've become quite interested in wife's early 20th Century glass collection and her pottery collection. Sports interest her, especially
the Philadelphia Phillies, Eagles, and Tennis. Plus, she is with me for the 3 days when I set-up at the Philly Show.

And, this will set you free to openly enjoy collecting your Sportscards and memorabilia.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/websize/tedz57tbirdmmbattennis.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/websize/1960TBIRDwoodshed.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

JollyElm
07-23-2018, 03:06 PM
I have all of my cards delivered to my neighbor's house. Whenever something arrives, he puts a red flag in the pot on his balcony to surreptitiously notify me.

MikeGarcia
07-23-2018, 07:42 PM
I have all of my cards delivered to my neighbor's house. Whenever something arrives, he puts a red flag in the pot on his balcony to surreptitiously notify me.

..The ole "Alger Hiss Trick " , we calls it...

Big Six
07-23-2018, 07:51 PM

Don’t fool yourself...she knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon
07-24-2018, 06:28 AM

Great idea. Around here we would have to have an extra cow in the pasture, or an extra rooster crowing, for a notification.
My wife quit asking many years ago, what is in the mail, as she knows packages arrive almost daily. I need not hide them any longer though I used to. :cool:

bbcard1
07-24-2018, 06:37 AM
There's a very fine line between an addiction and a discipline. The line is when it starts actually hurting other people.

ALR-bishop
07-24-2018, 08:06 AM
Me wife collects wearables and as long as the number of her packages approximate mine, we are good.

On another board we once had a contest to see whose wife had the most shoes. We all counted and reported back. Winner won sympathy

bnorth
07-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Me wife collects wearables and as long as the number of her packages approximate mine, we are good.

On another board we once had a contest to see whose wife had the most shoes. We all counted and reported back. Winner won sympathy

LOL, do you remember how many shoes the winner reported? My wife easily has 40+ with some being very expensive running shoes.

To add a little humor and a picture of a card to this thread here is a custom refractor I just finished. A fellow member made a small purchase from me and had to get the cash from his significant other and she added a card and a little note saying she approved the transaction.:D

nebboy
07-24-2018, 02:36 PM
If you want to count yourself in the shoes race you need to be over 200.

As for opening those little bubble wrapped card packages, I've be known to take them to the bathroom to open in private before the questions start on "what little piece of cardboard did you over pay for now"

last for the addition thing I find myself dreaming of that one "Big find" of rare baseball cards these days more the wife in a bikini on some beach. But that could be an age thing also.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-24-2018, 05:42 PM
My wife is fine with my collecting.

ls7plus
07-24-2018, 10:32 PM

The wife has always put a check on my car collecting. I've had six Corvettes, including a 1972 with a 640 HP 540 CID big block with drag radials that I set up primarily for the occasional stop light grand prix (an original 454 car--should have at least kept the original engine, but that's been gone for more than 30 years!) and a '93 ZR-1, both of which I still have. Am going to buy the new ZR-1 next year, and the wife says the '93 has to go--from a rational perspective, I agree, but it was the best all-around Corvette I've ever had, and I'm having a hard time emotionally letting go.

Believe me, cards are easier from every angle!

Happy collecting,

Larry

ls7plus
07-24-2018, 10:36 PM

I used to have the cards I bought sent to the office, and the checks for the one's I would very rarely sell sent to the home. Now that I've retired, however, things begin to get a little more complicated!

Through thick and thin, may your collecting bring you joy,

Larry

ls7plus
07-24-2018, 10:40 PM

This statement has all the markings of true genius!

Highest regards,

Larry

ALR-bishop
07-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Except your neighbor now has leverage :).