PDA

View Full Version : An interesting read re the All-Star Game

ValKehl
07-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Last Friday, the Washington Post published a separate section pertaining to the AS Game. I didn't finish reading this section until tonite. One of the major pieces in it covers all of the still-living players who have represented Washington in AS Games. The first, the longest, and the most interesting write up is about Eddie Robinson, who at age 97 is the oldest-living Washington AS, the oldest-living ex-Yankee, and the last-surviving member of the 1948 Cleveland Indians WS champs. The other player write ups may or may not interest you. Here's the link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/washington-nationals-and-senators-living-all-stars/?utm_term=.1a4832b039ec

commishbob
07-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the link I hadn't seen that. I have one of Eddie Robinson's game-used first baseman's mitts which he signed for me many years ago. Not knowing any better I used it as my regular glove for a while before realizing I should probably just put it away.

Leon
07-19-2018, 07:28 AM
Eddie tells some really great stories. I saw him at a book signing and interview a few years back, in Allen, Tx. I wonder if I need to get this autograph authenticated? Looks kind of sketchy to me. :)

Last Friday, the Washington Post published a separate section pertaining to the AS Game. I didn't finish reading this section until tonite. One of the major pieces in it covers all of the still-living players who have represented Washington in AS Games. The first, the longest, and the most interesting write up is about Eddie Robinson, who at age 97 is the oldest-living Washington AS, the oldest-living ex-Yankee, and the last-surviving member of the 1948 Cleveland Indians WS champs. The other player write ups may or may not interest you. Here's the link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/washington-nationals-and-senators-living-all-stars/?utm_term=.1a4832b039ec

sando69
07-19-2018, 01:21 PM
i'm pretty sure that the signature is his...
but why would you have him personalize it to Sean? :eek:

Leon
07-19-2018, 01:39 PM
i'm pretty sure that the signature is his...
but why would you have him personalize it to Sean? :eek:

LOL...if I make it to that age and can still write, let alone go on speaking tours, then God bless me. He could sign it Sean, Blahn, Rahn or Leon...it's all good to me. :)
I think he was enthused as Professor Rogers III (note school he teaches law at below) gave me a plug as I was walking up and he made the L very ornate.
Paul (hey Paul) is a local card collector too. He and I have done a few card deals in the past and had a few lunches together. We see each other at local shows too. Great times.
Eddie is a remarkable gentleman and certainly one of the Old Guard, in the best sense of the word. If anyone ever (still) has a chance to see him speak, you really should. It will be a memorable time.

Jason
07-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Good article Val. Thanks for sharing and adding to my Washington Baseball history knowledge!

sando69
07-19-2018, 04:01 PM
thanks to you both for sharing.
it was ALL a great read, and really helps promote what our hobby is about!

KMayUSA6060
07-19-2018, 04:56 PM
He was in attendance at the '16 World Series in Cleveland. It was awesome to see him still around.