PDA

View Full Version : Professional Photo Authentication

Jobu
07-15-2018, 05:20 PM
What do people think about the value of paying to have photos authenticated?

I know PSA does it and SGC doesn't. I can find mentions of Beckett authentication but no info about the service online.

Thanks

Leon
07-16-2018, 07:06 AM
It's ok if you are into the authenticating of them. That said I would just as soon have RMY, David C. or our board take a look and tell me their thoughts.

drcy
07-16-2018, 05:39 PM
I don't know about the financial value, but do think PSA overall does a credible job. I usually don't see the point of getting it PSA graded, but if it's a choice or an expensive one.... Granted, photographs is my area, so I don't need someone else to tell me whether or not it's real. I can understand the usefulness of a PSA/DNA LOA when the buyer isn't an expert.

Runscott
07-16-2018, 05:56 PM
I don't know about the financial value, but do think PSA overall does a credible job. I usually don't see the point of getting it PSA graded, but if it's a choice or an expensive one.... Granted, photographs is my area, so I don't need someone else to tell me whether or not it's real. I can understand the usefulness of a PSA/DNA LOA when the buyer isn't an expert.

Did you write the auction descriptions for today's Hunt auction?

It has been a real advantage (and pleasure) over the years having David and Ben as friends. Sending photographs to authenticators would be absurd for me personally, but I get it.

drcy
07-16-2018, 06:02 PM
I honestly don't know what $$ premium a PSA LOA gives a photo and I think it's a waste of time for many photos. To me, many stamped and tagged photos are self-explanatory. However, if someone is going to sell a $10,000 Conlon or whatever, I understand the point.

Unlike card grading, PSA is only authenticating. There's a point to sending in a trading card to PSA when both sides know the card is authentic, but not one with a photo.

One additional off-topic note, but one I always feel the need to note, is that the photos the type PSA/DNA normally is authenticating should never be professionally condition graded. And I have specific reasons for saying this.