PDA

View Full Version : Buying/Selling 101

ullmandds
07-15-2018, 07:25 AM
When buying/selling vintage cards...I believe there to be numerous "unwritten" rules that should be followed. After all, baseball is a game of unwritten rules right?

I will lay down rule #1:

When selling a card it is the sellers job to price said card.

When wanting to buy someone's card...if said card is not for sale...the buyer should make the offer.

Let's hear them and see if they stick?

iowadoc77
07-15-2018, 07:44 AM
I like both of these. When a picture is simply posted in the BST, I usually ignore because that seems like the seller is just fishing. People who actually want to sell a card put a price on it.
And if someone asks me what I want for a card that I don’t have for sale, my reply is what are you willing to give for it.

Buythatcard
07-15-2018, 07:53 AM
I agree with Pete's # 1 rule.

Here are 2 more rules.

Seller must show front and back of card that they are selling.

If seller is selling several cards in a lot, they may not include cards that are in horrible condition without disclosing that info up front.

bnorth
07-15-2018, 08:01 AM
If you are going to post a bunch of "For Trade" threads actually want to make a fair trade at equal value.

EDIT: I forgot to add, never post Nr Mint "book" prices on cards that are beaters in your for sale threads.

Fballguy
07-15-2018, 08:02 AM
How about the seller must describe defects of card rather than saying:

The picture is the description

or

Please ask questions prior to bidding.

Johnny630
07-15-2018, 08:14 AM
My golden rule.

When you ask a Seller his best/bottom line price and he/she gives it to you do not insult the Seller with a lower price.
Or how about I’ll give you this. No not happening sir.

This has happened to me numerous times. I do my best to get a person into said card/cards and a fair price. Every time it does happen I never sell another card to said low baller. It’s insulting, I have never done this to a Seller. If it’s to high for me I say thank you for your time best of luck on your sale.

3-2-count
07-15-2018, 08:56 AM
When buying/selling vintage cards...I believe there to be numerous "unwritten" rules that should be followed. After all, baseball is a game of unwritten rules right?

I will lay down rule #1:

When selling a card it is the sellers job to price said card.

When wanting to buy someone's card...if said card is not for sale...the buyer should make the offer.

Let's hear them and see if they stick?

I agree with Pete.

Would also like to add, if a better or best price is requested from an interested buyer and one is given by the seller a simple response of either yay or nay would be courteous to receive in return.

There have been a couple members here in recent memory who after extended dialog back and forth regarding items I've had up for sale just disappear without a peep.

Little do these members know they are now on my black list. :mad:

pokerplyr80
07-15-2018, 08:57 AM
When an offer is made and accepted a transaction must be completed, barring something extreme and unforeseen. Anyone not following through on a deal they made because they found a better offer or deal elsewhere should be banned from the bst section.

Peter_Spaeth
07-15-2018, 09:20 AM
If a seller really isn't sure what a card is worth and wants to test the market by taking offers, I don't have an issue.

RedsFan1941
07-15-2018, 09:24 AM
be mindful of alcohol intake before listing miscut and OC T206’s on the BST.

ullmandds
07-15-2018, 09:35 AM

No!!!

pokerplyr80
07-15-2018, 11:58 AM
If a seller really isn't sure what a card is worth and wants to test the market by taking offers, I don't have an issue.

If a card is really that rare and and a similar card hasnt been sold in a while I can see your point. But even then i think most guys know what they're willing to take. Price it a little above that for a starting point.

cardsnstuff
07-15-2018, 12:33 PM
I follow one rule:

Price fairly & ship fast.

Although I guess people may not agree with part 1 based on my recent 12 mo ebay sales history.

wdwfan
07-15-2018, 12:55 PM
I agree with you about pricing fairly.

I ted to list stuff for about 10% of BV and for some reason can't sell anything on here. When I'm selling on ebay, I tend to take the average of the last 5-7 sales and list my BIN about 10% below that. Sometimes that works. Can't seem to buy either (here) when I post a thread. But I see other guys posting threads with prices like 40% of BV.

As for shipping, I try to ship next day if possible. I just got a printer last week, so can print labels at home right after sale is made. I used to have to wait until the next time I worked (M-F) to print off labels since I could only do it at work. So I will ship next day or second day in most cases unless I'm out of bubble mailers and have to run to Walmart to get more.

I follow one rule:

Price fairly & ship fast.

Although I guess people may not agree with part 1 based on my recent 12 mo ebay sales history.

wazoo
07-15-2018, 01:04 PM
I require descriptions like these gems:

LuckyLarry
07-15-2018, 02:27 PM
I forgot to add, never post Nr Mint "book" prices on cards that are beaters in your for sale threads.
why not?

bnorth
07-15-2018, 03:01 PM
I agree with you about pricing fairly.

I ted to list stuff for about 10% of BV and for some reason can't sell anything on here. When I'm selling on ebay, I tend to take the average of the last 5-7 sales and list my BIN about 10% below that. Sometimes that works. Can't seem to buy either (here) when I post a thread. But I see other guys posting threads with prices like 40% of BV.

As for shipping, I try to ship next day if possible. I just got a printer last week, so can print labels at home right after sale is made. I used to have to wait until the next time I worked (M-F) to print off labels since I could only do it at work. So I will ship next day or second day in most cases unless I'm out of bubble mailers and have to run to Walmart to get more.

If you are selling stuff for 10% of book I am a buyer for Eddie Mathews and Ted Williams all day long. Please let me know what i can buy.

Now if you are selling cards using NrMint book prices and selling lower grade cards at 10% of book I have no interest.

CobbSpikedMe
07-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Wazoo, when did you get back to the boards!? Haven't seen you around in a while bro.

wazoo
07-15-2018, 03:19 PM
Wazoo, when did you get back to the boards!? Haven't seen you around in a while bro.

Andy how’s it been? Long time no talk! I’ve been back the past month or so. Just slowly getting back into the hobby. School has kept me so busy these past few years so it’s been on and off. But I’m back to stay and I’m glad to see things are flourishing.

To contribute to this thread:
Not a fan when people put “rare” next to every listing

bnorth
07-15-2018, 03:32 PM
why not?

Because what does the Nr Mint book price have to do with a card in poor or VG condition.

I have actually asked a few sellers why they are sending me Nr Mint book prices on cards in VG condition. It really makes no sense to me at all.

LuckyLarry
07-15-2018, 04:36 PM
Because what does the Nr Mint book price have to do with a card in poor or VG condition. I have actually asked a few sellers why they are sending me Nr Mint book prices on cards in VG condition. It really makes no sense to me at all.
You are right who pays NM prices on VG cards. But if I know what the Standard Catalog NM price is, it's easy to adjust down for condition. In fact, I would rather see the NM price on a card with or without the sellers asking price. Because if I see a card with just the asking price, sometimes I wonder what the NM "book" price is (so I can adjust down for flaws).
Larry

Rookiemonster
07-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Don’t put best offer unless your willing to take a offer. When a buyer makes a offer don’t come back with 50 cents less then you your post price and think that’s a best offer price.

CMIZ5290
07-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Also be mindful of idiots who are going to bombard you with questions with no intentions of buying a damn thing, eh Ronnie? Sound familiar?

RedsFan1941
07-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Also be mindful of idiots who are going to bombard you with questions with no intentions of buying a damn thing, eh Ronnie? Sound familiar?

no, it doesn't. why would i ever ask you a question about anything you are selling? i would never do business with you. stay thirsty my friend.

CMIZ5290
07-15-2018, 05:57 PM
no, it doesn't. why would i ever ask you a question about anything you are selling? i would never do business with you. stay thirsty my friend.

What a dumb ass.....

RedsFan1941
07-15-2018, 06:21 PM
What a dumb ass.....

:)

Sean
07-16-2018, 03:36 PM
What a dumb ass.....

It's pronounced Doo-maas. :)

Leon
07-17-2018, 02:36 PM
It's pronounced Doo-maas. :)

and "maroon".....
You guys above need to play nicely. :cool:

and to the original subject, I agree put a price out there AND show me the back, if for sale!! If not for sale, make me an offer that I will say yes to; fair market value won't do it. :)