PDA

View Full Version : Garbage from Ohio

Greenmonster
07-15-2018, 07:19 AM
This seller has used different Ebay names over the years and has been turning out garbage like this for years. Check out his other items for sale too, all fake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123247049279?rmvSB=true

Brian
07-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Hi, Jim,
I don't have too many RPPCs so am not an expert. But every now and then I buy one, so I am curious how you deduced that this was a fake? Was it poor focus/blurriness of the photo?
Thanks!
Brian

Leon
07-16-2018, 07:34 AM
This seller has used different Ebay names over the years and has been turning out garbage like this for years. Check out his other items for sale too, all fake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123247049279?rmvSB=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/123247049279?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Someone is going to be happy until they find out it's a reproduction. For the record, postcards like this would have never been this "grainy" looking. Clearly a reproduction.

This is a modern reprint too but not quite as real looking as the other...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-York-Yankees-1932-Team-Real-Photo-Postcard/382519271573?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.M BE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44039%26meid%3Dc2c1284646744b2 a8a084bd38698ac45%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D 12%26sd%3D123247049279%26itm%3D382519271573&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Greenmonster
07-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Hi Brian..As Leon mentioned the grainy appearance is a give away. Also the design of the back of the postcard can be helpful, postcard backs are pretty well documented as to what era certain backs designs were used. But with this card the front design is over the top with Yankees Stadium, a head shot of Ruth and the Yankee insignia, it's a fantasy piece.

In 2003 I was publishing The Ballpark Postcard Newsletter when I first ran into this seller on ebay. He was selling these fantasy pieces then, postcards and advertising items. At that time he was using at least 3 different ebay accounts. In some cases he was getting hundreds of dollars an item for some of the material. I wrote an article at that time warning collectors about his scam. I was surprised to run into him again 15 years later still pushing junk.

Here's one of the cards from 2003 he sold for over $100.00

Hi, Jim,
I don't have too many RPPCs so am not an expert. But every now and then I buy one, so I am curious how you deduced that this was a fake? Was it poor focus/blurriness of the photo?
Thanks!
Brian

Brian
07-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Thanks!
I know about some of the postcard backs. I had found this useful site:

https://www.playle.com/realphoto/

However, it does not have a complete list of all backs.

Do you guys know of a more comprehensive site with types/dating of backs?

Brian

slidekellyslide
07-16-2018, 08:32 PM
I got suckered by this seller about six months ago. I knew immediately when I opened the package that the postcard was fake. I contacted him and he immediately refunded me without replying to me. He also blocked me. Of course I would never bid with him again.

tschock
07-17-2018, 12:09 PM
I got suckered by this seller about six months ago. I knew immediately when I opened the package that the postcard was fake. I contacted him and he immediately refunded me without replying to me. He also blocked me. Of course I would never bid with him again.

Dan,

When you are blocked can you still contact the seller? If so, I would have thanked him for blocking me so I wouldn't worry about forgetting to NOT bid/buy his stuff in the future. ;)

calvindog
07-17-2018, 12:47 PM

He blocked you for wanting a refund on a fake card? That's hardcore.

SetBuilder
07-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Using "RPPC" (or other high click-through keyword) in the title and then being as intentionally ambiguous as possible in the description is all too common on eBay. Likely so they can claim that no representations were made in the description (quite literally, the description box is entirely blank, and only says "good condition"). Seller is just fishing for the gullible people who don't know what a real RPPC looks like, hoping it's just deceptive enough that only a small amount of people ask for a return. Numbers game I guess.

It's a shame the seller has chosen this route, because they could probably still make decent money by selling them as reprints.

slidekellyslide
07-17-2018, 10:38 PM
Dan,

When you are blocked can you still contact the seller? If so, I would have thanked him for blocking me so I wouldn't worry about forgetting to NOT bid/buy his stuff in the future. ;)

I tried to contact him after the refund to tell him about other items I found in his listings that were fake, but I could not contact him via one of his other listings. It did allow me to contact him through the one item I bought and was refunded on.

slidekellyslide
07-17-2018, 10:41 PM
He blocked you for wanting a refund on a fake card? That's hardcore.

I would guess this is how he operates with everyone. Nearly all of his items are fraudulent so he just refunds the people who complain and blocks them so he won't have to deal with them again.