PDA

View Full Version : Liston vs Clay Boxing Ticket $250 admission Feb 24 1964 - Used

Leon
06-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Looking for a little help on this one for a friend. Value, rarity and anything about it...? He has done some homework but is no expert and isn't 100% sure it's real. He got it as a walk in at a local card shop.

thanks in advance.

Writehooks
06-23-2018, 06:38 AM
This is the real deal. I've run across a few of these over the years -- some with the punch holes, some without. The "Golden Circle" was limited VIP ringside seating, and some of the seats were complimentary, courtesy of co-promoter Chris Dundee. My understanding is that the "comped" tickets were punched, while those that were sold for the then-astronomical price of $250 were not. This example has some condition issues, but would still fetch $400 -$600 in the right auction. NRMT examples are in the $800-$900 range.

JollyElm
06-23-2018, 03:37 PM
This may or may not add anything to the subject at hand, but from a marketing perspective, it's also very possible that the exorbitant price of $250 is there to increase the perceived value of the ducats (nice usage, right?). If, say, a businessman was giving away complimentary tickets to an important client, that person would be quite impressed with the $250 sticker price and think, "Wow! This guy really takes care of me. I'm definitely going to keep giving my business to Joe's Purple Sticker Emporium." Sort of a sales 101 method. Something for consideration.