PDA

View Full Version : The Things I Learned about Grading

samosa4u
06-21-2018, 06:28 PM
I've been in this hobby for a long time, but I am learning new things every day. Here are some of the things I have learned about grading:

1) Length of time I examine a card. The longer I study a card, the more flaws I seem to catch.

2) Lighting. There is a huge difference between studying your cards in the daylight (natural light) and looking at them under a light bulb (artificial light). Also, the level of brightness makes a difference as well.

3) Angle. When I tilt a card at a certain angle, I tend to see more ugly things. :)

4) Magnification. The closer I zoom, the more bad things I see.

So here is what I want you guys to do: get your favorite card and study it for ten minutes under strong artificial light. During the examination, I also want you to tilt the card at different angles. Now, tell me, did you find something you never saw previously? Did I ruin your day? :D

And I want to end this post with a question: where do we draw the line when it comes to grading? Is examining a card for ten minutes too much? What about 50x magnification or very strong light?

that T206 Guy
06-21-2018, 08:37 PM
I've been in this hobby for a long time, but I am learning new things every day. Here are some of the things I have learned about grading:

1) Length of time I examine a card. The longer I study a card, the more flaws I seem to catch.

2) Lighting. There is a huge difference between studying your cards in the daylight (natural light) and looking at them under a light bulb (artificial light). Also, the level of brightness makes a difference as well.

3) Angle. When I tilt a card at a certain angle, I tend to see more ugly things. :)

4) Magnification. The closer I zoom, the more bad things I see.

So here is what I want you guys to do: get your favorite card and study it for ten minutes under strong artificial light. During the examination, I also want you to tilt the card at different angles. Now, tell me, did you find something you never saw previously? Did I ruin your day? :D

And I want to end this post with a question: where do we draw the line when it comes to grading? Is examining a card for ten minutes too much? What about 50x magnification or very strong light?

Excellent Thread.

I wonder how much Time those that are Grading the Cards at PSA Spend on each Card?

drcy
06-22-2018, 11:48 AM
I remember when I was in an antique store and this big antique wall mirror made me look so good, no matter from what angle. I thought "I have to buy this mirror and have it at home." Then I thought "Wait, it might not be the mirror but the lighting in this store." No, I didn't buy the store.

hysell
06-22-2018, 02:15 PM
The problem is we are humans & NO 2 people seem to grade a like ? Some prefer corners over centering , just to give you a idea ? {ME } ....LOL . I read in a Sports card Mag , about 25 years ago, " they state, there was no such thing as a MINT card ? " I may have to agree on that, but that's me ?

Stampsfan
06-22-2018, 05:02 PM
Excellent Thread.

I wonder how much Time those that are Grading the Cards at PSA Spend on each Card?

Not ten minutes.

I remember when I was in an antique store and this big antique wall mirror made me look so good, no matter from what angle. I thought "I have to buy this mirror and have it at home." Then I thought "Wait, it might not be the mirror but the lighting in this store." No, I didn't buy the store.

I would have bought the lights.
(This from a guy who has never seen a mirror he likes).

that T206 Guy
06-22-2018, 05:03 PM
The problem is we are humans & NO 2 people seem to grade a like ? Some prefer corners over centering , just to give you a idea ? {ME } ....LOL . I read in a Sports card Mag , about 25 years ago, " they state, there was no such thing as a MINT card ? " I may have to agree on that, but that's me ?

I Would Think they could Invent a Machine to Grade so there is no Human Error.

Like Run it through a Cat Scan or Something.

A Computer could tell

Exact Size to see if it was Trimmed.
Exact Centering
Any Surface Damage
etc.

People make mistakes.

A Computer would be the Ultimate Third Party Grader.

And Unlike a Human It Could Work 24/7 so we could get cards back quicker.

steve B
06-23-2018, 08:52 PM
And Unlike a Human It Could Work 24/7 so we could get cards back quicker.

I guess you've never had a paper jam in a copier or printer...
Automating the feed is an even worse idea than automating the grading.

that T206 Guy
06-24-2018, 02:10 AM

Somebody would put them in one at a time.

No Risk of the "Paper Jam"

Bocabirdman
06-24-2018, 03:35 AM

As someone who has scanned a few thousand cards for the BST over the last couple of years, I would question an automated grading system. The scanning bed would be littered with tobacco, tape residue, flakes of paper loss and lord knows what else in no time. Add in finger prints, hair, scratches and airborne dust particles and you would have a nightmare. Instead of questioning the time spent on each card, the new debate would be about how many scans between thorough cleanings...............:eek:

steve B
06-25-2018, 11:55 AM
As someone who has scanned a few thousand cards for the BST over the last couple of years, I would question an automated grading system. The scanning bed would be littered with tobacco, tape residue, flakes of paper loss and lord knows what else in no time. Add in finger prints, hair, scratches and airborne dust particles and you would have a nightmare. Instead of questioning the time spent on each card, the new debate would be about how many scans between thorough cleanings...............:eek:

Then miss a bit of Windex and scan the Wagner in just the right spot......

One of the few times I worry about damaging stuff is when I'm picking it up off the scanner.

hedgefund96
06-26-2018, 11:43 AM
You are depressing me, Lol