PDA

View Full Version : Val Gum 1960 Marilyn at Bat

enuffsenuff
06-20-2018, 06:09 AM
I am intrigued by the plethera of Monroe cards all purpoting to be original 1960 versions. Some with numbers on the front, some with the movie star card back etc etc I have what I consider to be an original set and also I have the MovieStar repro set which is a copy of the original 38 cards. After some trawling around I did find another (what I deem to be) original set on google images from Sterling Sports Auction #63 Lot 564. Note there are no numbered cards and the backs are not exactly plain white. I would be interested if anyone else has a similar set to the aforementioned and also any idea of when the MovieStar set was issued ? For the those that are not aware of the set it contains 3 Monroe cards including the famous Marilyn at Bat card from which Di Maggio was said to have fallen in love with her after seeing that image.

swarmee
06-20-2018, 06:50 AM
May get more traction/information at the Nonsports Card Forum in the picture link at the top right of every page.

Volod
06-22-2018, 12:21 AM
Interesting. Of course, since DiMaggio and Monroe married in 1954 and divorced in 1955, a card issued in 1960 would not have had such influence on him. The photo image on the card, however, was likely from much earlier, perhaps the early 1950's, but who knows if the Clipper ever laid eyes on it. I remember a story, perhaps apocryphal, that DiMaggio met Monroe when she made a publicity appearance at Yankee Stadium in 1951 prior to a Yanks game against the Philadelphia Athletics. According to that account, DiMag was miffed that Marilyn posed for a photo with A's slugger, Gus Zernial, and ordered a press aide to have her come into the Yanks clubhouse for photos with him, as well. Sounds credible, I suppose.

JustinD
06-22-2018, 07:46 AM
Interesting. Of course, since DiMaggio and Monroe married in 1954 and divorced in 1955, a card issued in 1960 would not have had such influence on him. The photo image on the card, however, was likely from much earlier, perhaps the early 1950's, but who knows if the Clipper ever laid eyes on it. I remember a story, perhaps apocryphal, that DiMaggio met Monroe when she made a publicity appearance at Yankee Stadium in 1951 prior to a Yanks game against the Philadelphia Athletics. According to that account, DiMag was miffed that Marilyn posed for a photo with A's slugger, Gus Zernial, and ordered a press aide to have her come into the Yanks clubhouse for photos with him, as well. Sounds credible, I suppose.

The Marilyn at bat photos were taken during White Sox training Camp in March of 1951.