PDA

View Full Version : Random cycle quiz

timn1
06-07-2018, 09:35 PM
According to my sources, only two players since 1900 have hit for the cycle three times in their MLB careers. Can you name them? Neither is in the Hall of Fame, at least not yet.

One of them did it twice for his current club, and the third time it was against his current club. That should be enough of a clue.

The other was A California native known for a great throwing arm. He is often considered part of one of the greatest outfields ever, but according to the current metrics, he was a below average player for his time. He was involved in an auto accident that killed a major league player but he escaped uninjured. His brother was a similar player except for the arm, and they wound up with career batting averages one point apart.

The prize is.... nothing!

sando69
06-07-2018, 10:57 PM
...not enough detailed clues! :rolleyes:

familytoad
06-07-2018, 11:36 PM
Beltre seems right for the first guy.
I cannot think hard enough to determine the second...but I am intrigued by the auto accident clue...some one must know...

Hxcmilkshake
06-08-2018, 05:37 AM
Jose Canseco one of em?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

markf31
06-08-2018, 06:20 AM
I think Babe Herman might be one? I know he hit for the cycle twice in 1922, so I'll take a guess he hit another one during his career.

Cliff Bowman
06-08-2018, 07:16 AM
There are three since 1900 and two of them have been named, I cheated and looked it up. One of them did it in the same stadium all three times while playing for two different teams.

timn1
06-08-2018, 08:27 AM
And oops, I missed one ☝️ that’ll teach me to create quizzes late at night.

I missed Babe Herman, so you brainiacs have gotten two of them.

For the first guy to do it, I have given the non obvious clues I can think of.

1. Great throwing arm
2. Brother who played the same position and has similar career stats

This might help. He played against his brother in three World Series.

Tim

clydepepper
06-08-2018, 08:35 AM
And oops, I missed one ☝️ that’ll teach me to create quizzes late at night.

I missed Babe Herman, so you brainiacs have gotten two of them.

For the first guy to do it, I have given the non obvious clues I can think of.

1. Great throwing arm
2. Brother who played the same position and has similar career stats

This might help. He played against his brother in three World Series.

Tim

Clete & Ken Boyer come to mind, but I believe their BAs are further apart.

btcarfagno
06-08-2018, 08:40 AM
I know Bob Meusel did it more than once, and he had a brother Irish Meusel.

clydepepper
06-08-2018, 08:51 AM
My source, 'The Immaculate Inning' by Joe Cox (see other thread - watercooler) indicates that, in addition to Meusel, Herman & Beltre, a 19th Century player named John Reilly also did it three times. He career spanned 1880-1891.

clydepepper
06-08-2018, 09:00 AM
On June 27, 1984, 35-year-old Dusty Baker stole second, third and home all in the bottom of the third inning! WOWIE!

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-08-2018, 02:32 PM
My source, 'The Immaculate Inning' by Joe Cox (see other thread - watercooler) indicates that, in addition to Meusel, Herman & Beltre, a 19th Century player named John Reilly also did it three times. He career spanned 1880-1891.

I have a Reilly Old Judge in BST right now, wild coincidence!